HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: baitcasting reels

Post Thanks / Like

Default baitcasting reels

iv only ever owned spincast zebco style reels but i need to start using bait casters as with spincast u cant hold as much line with your cast and only can use 20 pound test i tried t use a openface reel in the past as a early teen and it completely knotted up lol so i said ill never try again but from so many vids everyone agrees they are the best and smaller than spinning reels

i cant spend over 40 bucks for the reel i should b able t get something decent for 40 right? was thinking of getting this
    Amazon.com : Sougayilang Fishing reels Round Baitcasting Reel - Conventional Reel - Reinforced Metal Body & Supreme Star Drag-Warrior4000 Red : Sports & Outdoors

hope i dont screw it up wish i could find one that i dont have to always hold the line with thumb im afraid of the backlash

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

First question is what are you going to use it for. Never seen a spin ast reel you couldn’t use smaller than 20 lb test.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

Every spin cast I've seen or used had 8# or lighter line on it. Smaller diameter line equals more on the spool. Baitcasters are synonymous with being very difficult with light tiny lures crappie need. Also a cheap baitcaster is well, cheap. I wouldn't go off brand.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    First question is what are you going to use it for. Never seen a spin ast reel you couldn’t use smaller than 20 lb test.

m gonna use it for catfishing right now i have 4 catfish rod n reels all zebco 808s with 17 test on 2 and 20 on other 2 i wana upgrade to bait casters mostly to getout further in my cast since im forced t bank fish most places

Post Thanks / Like

Ah ok. I use an open face spinning reel for catfishing but a baitcaster would work. I would use braided line so you can go heavier test with smaller diameter and a long rod.

Likes trypman1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt1991 View Post
    ivi should b able t get something decent for 40 right?
    I doubt it. The backlashes you will get with a cheap baitcaster will make you want to take up golf.

IMO, you'd be much better off with buying the best spinning reel you can afford. I do a lot of carp fishing, and all the carp guys I know fish from the bank and use spinning reels.

Also, I think 17-20# line is too heavy for most catfishing. You'll get more casting distance and still be able to land almost anything with 10-12# line.
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

ya but u gotta udnerstand that im using zebcos that dont have good drag so the larger lines needed i think if i had better reels id use 10 t 12

Post Thanks / Like

I use Abu Garcia's and just recently picked up an Okuma isis250 and waiting to try it out soon as it warms up a bit. Granted they are a little over $100 each but you can get good baitcasting for a little cheaper. Bass pro has the CatMax reels priced decently and with any baitcasting reel comes the backlashes it's part of learning how to use them and cast them. I'd say get you a decent conventional baitcaster( the round ones) spool some line on it tie your normal rig and practice casting it in the backyard or an open field. There is a knob on the handle side where you can adjust the spool tension which takes time and a few casts to fine tune but will eventually get rid of the backlashes. Look up on YouTube how to tune a baitcaster. After you get the hang of it rip the junk line off respool with decent line like trilene xl smooth cast and go rip some whisker lips. Once you get accustomed to the baitcaster you'll kick yourself for not switching sooner..

Sent from my Z982 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by matt1991 View Post
    ya but u gotta udnerstand that im using zebcos that dont have good drag so the larger lines needed i think if i had better reels id use 10 t 12
    Better (spinning) reels are worth it. You'll get a better drag and more casting distance.

Get a Pflueger President. Lots of guys here use 'em -- $40-50.

Post Thanks / Like

That's why I say go with braided line. 20# line is the equivalent of 8# mono on my brands.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast