HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you catch 2 # plus crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

deceptive fish to say the least ….real large ones often don't top 2
    I remember a trip real well where an experienced fella lost his mind on a really large fish I brung up .
    was a dancing around like an wild indian saying it was new lake record at well over 2 lbs on a lake that had a barely 2 lb record .
    as I held it before I pitched it in the ice chest I told him it didn't feel heavy to me and I doubt in its summer condition it was much over 2 if it hit 2 …..
    I had to leave early and later the guy that owns the boat weighed it at 1 lb 13 oz ….

to add insult to injury I was walking away from a spot the other day and asked a guy how he was doing on fish . he said I just got me a 2 lber and I said wow that's nice , don't see many 2 lbers ….he said go look in the bucket right there and see for yourself
    I said ok what the heck lets see this here whale fish ……
    I almost cried and laughed at the same time but held it back so I didn't offend anyone …
    as it was just the length of the inside diameter of the 5 gallon bucket yawl ….
    and to be sure there was no confusion on what fish it was the only fish in the bucket ..
    might have weighed 1 lb maybe with a few sinkers put in its belly …..
    in many cases length on them isn't the deciding factor on weight , they need to be long for sure at well over 14 inches in most cases but in order to top 2 they need to have massive girth as well ….
    many times they just aint all that thick
    just saying
    sum kawl me tha outlaw ketchn whales
    Likes Jamesdean LIKED above post
    Thanks Pithon, ezgoing thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ketchn View Post
    deceptive fish to say the least ….real large ones often don't top 2
    I remember a trip real well where an experienced fella lost his mind on a really large fish I brung up .
    was a dancing around like an wild indian saying it was new lake record at well over 2 lbs on a lake that had a barely 2 lb record .
    as I held it before I pitched it in the ice chest I told him it didn't feel heavy to me and I doubt in its summer condition it was much over 2 if it hit 2 …..
    I had to leave early and later the guy that owns the boat weighed it at 1 lb 13 oz ….

to add insult to injury I was walking away from a spot the other day and asked a guy how he was doing on fish . he said I just got me a 2 lber and I said wow that's nice , don't see many 2 lbers ….he said go look in the bucket right there and see for yourself
    I said ok what the heck lets see this here whale fish ……
    I almost cried and laughed at the same time but held it back so I didn't offend anyone …
    as it was just the length of the inside diameter of the 5 gallon bucket yawl ….
    and to be sure there was no confusion on what fish it was the only fish in the bucket ..
    might have weighed 1 lb maybe with a few sinkers put in its belly …..
    in many cases length on them isn't the deciding factor on weight , they need to be long for sure at well over 14 inches in most cases but in order to top 2 they need to have massive girth as well ….
    many times they just aint all that thick
    just saying
    Yep, that is what I was trying to say. The worst purchase that I’ve ever made was a scale! Before I bought it, I had lots of 2 and 3 pound crappies. After buying it......not the first one!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    Likes BDBFishing, Jamesdean, ezgoing, Tom 513, "G" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I go to Sardis in Miss to catch them
    get d net <*((((((>{ PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

ezgoing is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ET Fish View Post
    I’ve caught fish here that based on length would probably be at least 3 pounds in, say Mississippi. When I weighed em....didn’t make 2 pounds!
    I bought some scales last year but have never used them. Maybe I need to "lose" them if I am ever going to catch a 2 # crappie.
    Likes ET Fish LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Oklahoma has some big crappie to. All these fish weighed just under 3 lbs. Two were white crappie and one was a big black. After chasing crappie a lot of years, there is nothing I have used that worked better than big shiners. Not saying we haven't caught 2 plus pounders on jigs but the majority was on live bait pre-spawn.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Likes FIN, Boa3 LIKED above post
    Thanks ezgoing thanked you for this post

ezgoing is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice! My wife would only used minnows, she always laughed at me for using jigs. She told me crappie ate meat, not metal. She always caught more than I did but being stubborn I stuck with the jigs.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim .... looking at the dorsal spine count (I count 6) and the faint vertical alignment of some of this fish's specks, I'm gonna go out on a short limb and call that fish a "hybrid" (naturally occurring).

Now that's not taking anything away from the size of that Slab ... for sure it's a dream fish for many an angler !!

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you catch 2 # plus crappie?

Very well could be. Didn’t take the time to count dorsal fins but looking at it now it is a hybrid

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

White, black, or hybrid that's a nice fish. Congrats.
    Proud to have served with and supported the Units I was in: 1st IDF, 9th INF, 558th USAAG (Greece), 7th Transportation Brigade, 6th MEDSOM (Korea), III Corp, 8th IDF, 3rd Armor Div.
    1980 Ebbtide Dyna-Trak 160 Evinrude 65 Triumph
    Likes ezgoing LIKED above post
    Thanks TimY thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Fish Lake of the Pines in the late winter. We catch several over 2 pounds pretty much every trip
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Likes ezgoing LIKED above post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast