HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jig color...which school of thought are you in???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig color...which school of thought are you in???

I, like every crappie fisherman, have always been very interested in choosing the right color jig for the situation at hand. There are obviously many factors that go into choosing which color you should go with (forage available, size of forage, season/weather, etc...), but there seem to be two completely different general rules to go by. Theory 1) Use bright colored jigs in bright water, and dark colored jigs in dark water, or Theory 2) Use darker or more natural colors in clear water, and brighter colors in darker water. I'm wondering which way everyone leans on this. Below is a link to an article I came across on the subject.

The Best Crappie Jig Colors for Any Situation | Crappie Fisher
    Likes Tony the Tiger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atnipjd View Post
    I'm wondering which way everyone leans on this.
    I lean on jig color not being as important as depth and speed. Gimme the wrong color in the right place anytime.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I lean on jig color not being as important as depth and speed. Gimme the wrong color in the right place anytime.
    I agree with you completely. When you are choosing your color though, would you say you prescribe to either of these rules?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atnipjd View Post
    I agree with you completely. When you are choosing your color though, would you say you prescribe to either of these rules?
    I use white in clear water and chartreuse if the water has some color. That simple rule has served me well.
    Thanks atnipjd, Centerliner thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco View Post
    I use white in clear water and chartreuse if the water has some color. That simple rule has served me well.
    Mr. Crappie says he always starts with white and chartreuse colors since that works on any lake. I'm sort of particular to black as well I guess since most of what I fish is always stained. Black/Chartreuse would be my #1 pick.
    Likes trypman1, Tony the Tiger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperDave336 View Post
    Mr. Crappie says he always starts with white and chartreuse colors since that works on any lake.
    I agree. They're universal colors. They work great in saltwater, too. One of the best saltwater flies is a chartreuse-and-white Clouser minnow.
    Thanks Centerliner thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’m no pro on the subject by any means. But I’ve caught more and bigger fish on a black and chartreuse crazy tail slider than anything else I’ve tried. In clear and stained water and spring and fall. So for that reason that’s what I start with no matter the conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

Black chartreuse, don't forget some pink. I use most any color & do not let the water conditions change my offerings much. I do let the fish change my mind. my 2cts.
    Likes Tony the Tiger, Damion Kidd LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

You just never know. We didn’t buy 2,000 different colors and combinations just for fun, did we?
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
    Likes ad1974, fishervet LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig color...which school of thought are you in???

I’m with trypman, black/chartreuse is always in my starting lineup ( I love to spider rig ) my second favorite is electric chicken. Pumpkin/chartreuse works well for me also. The water I fish in the delta is usually stained and often muddy. That said I believe when the fish are in the mood to feed the color is not a big deal you just have to locate them. But I am far from an expert and pretty much a novice Jig color...which school of thought are you in???. Although I have fished all my life, commercial and recreational, I just started catching white perch/ crappie/ sac au lait the last 5 years or so when I moved away from the coast. Boy Howdy it is a blast Jig color...which school of thought are you in???
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.
    Likes Damion Kidd, Slabprowler LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast