HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: CWD Marshall county

Dutchman is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FurFlyin View Post
    Snubby while I completely agree that’s the case with normal disease that’s not the case with CWD. This is caused by a Prion, not a virus. It’s not airborne or environmentally transmitted. It comes from direct contact with another infected animal. It made its way to MS either in the back of a cattle trailer, transporting live deer from infected areas to the high fence destination they were bound for, or it was transported in the back of a pickup from a dead deer carrying the disease that was killed in an infected state.

Unlike a virus or bacteria, a prion remains viable. If it completely decimated the deer population in an area, any new deer reintroduced years later would still wind up infected. So it’s really not a product of overpopulation. If it was, then it would cease when the overpopulation situation was corrected

It all originally came from a pen of mule deer in Colorado. I guess until the question of how those deer became infected gets answered then it’s gonna keep spreading.

How do you know how it got to Mississippi? Do wild deer never cross the state line on foot ? I agree with the over population theory . Due to all the clubs setting the bar very high to grow big horns , and silly state laws for legal deer , they are over populated. You can look at any wild species that becomes overpopulated, and motor nature will take care of it eventually. It can be thu a virus , bacteria, prion , whatever. Game wardens have been telling us to kill as many as possible in our area to get the numbers down for years .

Post Thanks / Like

Dutchman I don't know how it got into MS. I know there are only a couple of ways it could get into MS and those are the ways I posted about. Since no state that borders MS has CWD currently in their deer herd unless it's gone undetected, I feel very safe in saying an infected deer didn't walk across the state line carrying it. Also, the counties in MS where the infected deer have shown up aren't contiguous. An infected deer didn't "migrate" from a county bordering the MS river to Pontotoc county.

jigflinger is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Since the prions are everywhere, my bet is it was already here and that some natural occurance of nature triggered it. That's the way it surely originated. Humic acid shows the potential to knock back the prion levels, not eliminate them. But can you imagine how much it would take to treat such a large land mass?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Rees Guide, Dutchman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default CWD Marshall county

I’ve been filming deer for a long time on trail cameras. I see the same deer over and over on my corn piles and even bucks are homebodies for the most part. Very seldom do we get many New deer feeding at them unless a buck or two pass through during the rut. We only lose one or two bucks during the rut, but they always come back if not harvested by someone. You can move your cameras 1/2-1 mile and get totally different deer with the above exception. The bucks aren’t really interested in feeding much during the rut anyway, they’re just following nature’s call.

Stopping the feeding isn’t going to do one danged thing to prevent the spread of this disease. IMO feeding might actually slow down the spread because by feeding, you keep the infected deer in a more confined area. Loss of habitat forcing the deer to move would be more likely to spread the disease.

Deer hang out together regardless of where their food source or bedding area is. A prime White Oak flat, Pin Oak flat or a bean or wheat field is no different than a corn pile. The local deer will show up no matter what the food source.

CWD is here to stay just like the Asian Carp. It will run its course just like Blue Tongue and other diseases do. No sense in panicking over it. We’ll learn to deal with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BigRiverMarine; 12-10-2018 at 09:04 AM.
    We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.
    Likes Cray, Speck, Redge, Snubby, jigflinger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

For me..I am just going along with what the State Biologist think...They know more than any of us ....I will have every harvest checked, and urge others to do the same.... As for eating infected deer...Probably not, but haven't had to make that decision yet
    Likes crp4570, rebranger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

A sad problem, don't no what the answer will be!! CWD and silver carp are really causing problems for sportsmen and ladies!Everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigRiverMarine View Post
    I’ve been filming deer for a long time on trail cameras. I see the same deer over and over on my corn piles and even bucks are homebodies for the most part. Very seldom do we get many New deer feeding at them unless a buck or two pass through during the rut. We only lose one or two bucks during the rut, but they always come back if not harvested by someone. You can move your cameras 1/2-1 mile and get totally different deer with the above exception. The bucks aren’t really interested in feeding much during the rut anyway, they’re just following nature’s call.

Stopping the feeding isn’t going to do one danged thing to prevent the spread of this disease. IMO feeding might actually slow down the spread because by feeding, you keep the infected deer in a more confined area. Loss of habitat forcing the deer to move would be more likely to spread the disease.

Deer hang out together regardless of where their food source or bedding area is. A prime White Oak flat, Pin Oak flat or a bean or wheat field is no different than a corn pile. The local deer will show up no matter what the food source.

CWD is here to stay just like the Asian Carp. It will run its course just like Blue Tongue and other diseases do. No sense in panicking over it. We’ll learn to deal with it.

my thoughts exactly
    Likes Rees Guide, BigRiverMarine, jigflinger LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murdok View Post
    my thoughts exactly
    The mdwfp is sending a mixed message. They banned feeding in the immediate areas where CWD has been found, but haven't done so in the rest of the state. Makes no sense to me either feeding does or doesn't have anything to do with it, but that just goes to show that they are about as clueless as we are about what causes/spreads it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ragencage View Post
    The mdwfp is sending a mixed message. They banned feeding in the immediate areas where CWD has been found, but haven't done so in the rest of the state. Makes no sense to me either feeding does or doesn't have anything to do with it, but that just goes to show that they are about as clueless as we are about what causes/spreads it.
    Those deer coming to the corn will just change food sources and still be in contact with each other wherever they’re feeding. Makes ZERO sense to me to stop feeding. The disease is already there, and feeding didn’t bring it there. Deer don’t run up to Illinois or other states that have CWD and bring it back. SMH

We only sell the Best. Ranger, Xpress, Yamaha, Suzuki, Tohatsu.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ragencage View Post
    i dont think the feeding ban is gonna do anything, i see their thinking (avoid congregating deer) but thats gonna happen naturally. these diseases have come and gone for centuries. the only thing people can do is have your deer tested to track the spread. it doesn't hurt the meat its a neuological dz. even if a vaccine/cure was found how you gonna get it to a wild deer herd. my two cents
    Likes Speck LIKED above post

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast