HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What rifle for a 10 year old?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Atimm693 View Post
    I think .243 is probably one of the best well rounded calibers for whitetails on the market. Minimal recoil, super common, inexpensive, and very flat shooting.

I don't have anything against the 30-30, but they are dangerous. All it takes is a slip of the thumb while decocking and it will fire. Not sure if the new ones have a better safety mechanism.

I hunted with an AR for the first time this year, and it really is a joy to carry. Nice and short, lightweight. They are expensive though, especially in the more obscure calibers that are better suited to big game.
    Good point on the cocking/uncocking thing. I worried about my grandson with a single shot 20 guage.

The newer Marlin 30-30s you can put the safety on and release the hammer. You can actually pull the trigger and it will uncock at a stop point before striking the firing pin. I found that out while zeroing mine. I forgot to take the safety off and pulled the trigger and "click". Took me a minute to realize what happened, thought I had a dud round.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

Post Thanks / Like

I think .243 is probably one of the best well rounded calibers for whitetails on the market. Minimal recoil, super common, inexpensive, and very flat shooting.

I don't have anything against the 30-30, but they are dangerous. All it takes is a slip of the thumb while decocking and it will fire. Not sure if the new ones have a better safety mechanism.

I hunted with an AR for the first time this year, and it really is a joy to carry. Nice and short, lightweight. They are expensive though, especially in the more obscure calibers that are better suited to big game.
    So why does everyone think if it's got an exposed hammer it's dangerous? I mean seriously, think of single shot shotguns, 1911 style guns, wheel guns, muzzle loaders etc, etc. No one has once said those are dangerous and they have the same feature that makes the 30-30 "dangerous"? Most of these have been around for 100+ years. If they were inherently dangerous dont you think they'd have made changes to the manual of arms? And with any gun all It takes is the slip of a finger doesn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by INDyak View Post
    So why does everyone think if it's got an exposed hammer it's dangerous? I mean seriously, think of single shot shotguns, 1911 style guns, wheel guns, muzzle loaders etc, etc. No one has once said those are dangerous and they have the same feature that makes the 30-30 "dangerous"? Most of these have been around for 100+ years. If they were inherently dangerous dont you think they'd have made changes to the manual of arms? And with any gun all It takes is the slip of a finger doesn't it?
    Had a grown man accidentally discharge a hammered rifle by me one morning.

Been scared of them since. One slip is all it takes. I grew up with one and learning to decock it was as important as learning to cock it. Times change I guess. I’m more of a safety guy now rather than hammer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Eagle 1 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't agree more. Common sense and manual safeties go a long way. And a negligent discharge can be made with anything. I just dont see calling them unsafe. My wife is a nurse and I've heard about accidental discharges with all types of firearms. With MSR type being the most common. I dont think any one is more unsafe than another. In my opinion it comes down to the operator.
    Likes bprice1031 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't agree more. Common sense and manual safeties go a long way. And a negligent discharge can be made with anything. I just dont see calling them unsafe. My wife is a nurse and I've heard about accidental discharges with all types of firearms. With MSR type being the most common. I dont think any one is more unsafe than another. In my opinion it comes down to the operator.
    I think you may be misunderstanding the point, if I chamber. Round in my older bolt action,I then need to put the gun on safety by sliding the safety to the safe position.With older lever actions ( my Marlin 30-30 ), when I chamber a round,the hammer is in the cocked position,without the benifit of a safety,the gun can only be put in a safe position by thumbing the hammer,and pulling the trigger, as the hammer is gently lowered.
    This is what makes the gun a bit more dangerous than say a bolt action with a safety tang.To not see where this calls for perhaps a higher level of instruction,especially for a younger hunter baffles me.I was taught gun safety by my father,and at a hunter safety class at school,ironically at that time,3030's were extremely popular,and the teachers of the hunter safety course spent much time on the dangers of that type of fire arm concerning how to de cock them.
    Yes any firearm should be handled with caution, but surely one can understand that if you have to pull the trigger as you thumb the hammer down,it is at that moment a cold hand,perhaps a weaker hand be it old or young,lets the hammer slip,causing an accidental discharge.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, when it pertains to older lever actions I can give you that. It does take a little more attention to detail in what you're doing. To me, that still doesn't deem it "notoriously dangerous" as stated. It has been mentioned by me, and others, that the new Marlins have a cross bolt safety. And have since 1983.
    I dont want to see someone dissuaded from a particular platform for reasons of safety that aren't factual.
    Last edited by INDyak; 12-05-2018 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Added year

Post Thanks / Like

,if it helps keep folks safe it's worth it!
    Thanks INDyak thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I would pick the 243 or a 308 over a 30-30, I've been shooting a 243 for a long long time fox and coyote calling and deer hunting,with proper bullet selection it's one of the most versatile rounds out there.

Post Thanks / Like

They have made changes. You cant hardly buy a new gun with an exposed hammer (30-30s included, as mentioned) that doesn't have a hammer block type safety.

They're all dangerous, and the best safety is the one between your ears. That doesn't change the fact that having to decock manually without a safety is inherently more dangerous, because **** happens, and I like to have a safety net when it does.

My dad has a story about a truck which belonged to his neighbor that has a bullet hole in the bed. His thumb slipped on a lever gun.
    Likes "G", strmwalker LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

They have made changes. You cant hardly buy a new gun with an exposed hammer (30-30s included, as mentioned) that doesn't have a hammer block type safety.

They're all dangerous, and the best safety is the one between your ears. That doesn't change the fact that having to decock manually without a safety is inherently more dangerous, because **** happens, and I like to have a safety net when it does.

My dad has a story about a truck which belonged to his neighbor that has a bullet hole in the bed. His thumb slipped on a lever gun.
    Well said

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast