HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: What rifle for a 10 year old?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by INDyak View Post
    not sure what this has to do with my comment? Again was asked opinions, I gave one. I WILL NOT nor do I reccomend use of any .22 caliber on game that size.
    I agree with you on this. I have shot a couple antelope with 22 caliber bullets and that is as big as I’d go critter wise. They go down much easier than a whitetail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My 9 year old grandson killed a huge old 6 point today with his 270 and it didn't bother him at all. I thought it might be too much gun but it seems to work just fine for him. 2 deer at 100 yards one shot kills that never took a step. I thought we might start him on reduced loads but his Dad just used the loads I worked up for my 270 and pretty hot and he hasn't complained.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by INDyak View Post
    not sure what this has to do with my comment? Again was asked opinions, I gave one. I WILL NOT nor do I reccomend use of any .22 caliber on game that size.
    Chill, I made a statement of fact, if your skin is thin let it pass. No need in acting like a brat.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

I'll shoot you a PM!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moskeeter56 View Post
    Chill, I made a statement of fact, if your skin is thin let it pass. No need in acting like a brat.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    And again not real sure how I was acting lik a "brat". I too only gave an opinion. Yes I said I will not recommend something but ain't that an opinion. Sounds to me like your the one that needs to chill. Thanks. Good luck redear, let us know what ya decide, I'm out

Post Thanks / Like

By coincidence a young man I've know for several years recently posted on another site about his 25 year reunion with his first deer rifle. When he was 10 his dad gave him a 243 rifle and he killed his first deer with it, He's 35 now and decided to take it out of the safe and use it, He did get a nice buck with it and said it brought back a lot of memories. He has killed dozens of nice bucks over the years with both rifle and bow, but breaking out the first gun and using it 25 years later was special to him.
    Only reason I recommended a 30-30 is not only is the recoil mild but you never "outgrow" a 30-30. But perhaps you never outgrow any gun that brought you your first deer.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Lets keep it civil....and just agree to disagree......And this is a general statement and not directed to any certain person.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Thanks SeaRay thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

No name calling.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best
    Likes SeaRay LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I think .243 is probably one of the best well rounded calibers for whitetails on the market. Minimal recoil, super common, inexpensive, and very flat shooting.

I don't have anything against the 30-30, but they are dangerous. All it takes is a slip of the thumb while decocking and it will fire. Not sure if the new ones have a better safety mechanism.

I hunted with an AR for the first time this year, and it really is a joy to carry. Nice and short, lightweight. They are expensive though, especially in the more obscure calibers that are better suited to big game.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_1619.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  67.6 KB

My 7 year old killed these two w the .450 bushmaster this weekend. Doesn’t bother him at all to shoot and it put these deer down quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes "G", Slab LIKED above post

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast