HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longlining

Post Thanks / Like

Default Longlining

Since fishing Oconee the last month I noticed that the long liners were having better success than me tight lining. Well I switched and mounted rod holders to the back of my boat. What a major difference it made. I caught some great fish thursday. Thanks again to Hotwater and his videos on rigging out my boat. I had great success fishing the creek channel. The crappie were in the creek in the morning chasing bait. When the bait left so did the bite. Found them again out on the main river. That's when I found my starting battery was dead. I took a few pictures and now I need to figure out how to post my pictures. Hopefully my wife can help load the pictures later today. All and all had a great time catching some really nice slabs. I had 12 fish over 12" long and up to 14"

Post Thanks / Like

You did well,

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job long lining... Its a good method
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

That's an awesome day! Rewarding to do that well with new technique!!

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

What weight jigs, and how fast? I have been trying this lately, but don't think my depth is right. I've only caught a few here 'n there at my usual lake. I notice if I run under about 10-12 feet of water on my sonar, I pick up weeds on the jigs or get snagged so I guess mine are running at around 8-9 FOW. This is at 1 Mph with a 1/16 and 1/32 jig heads.
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."
    Likes papasage LIKED above post

litewirehooker is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

We fished Oconee Friday and did real good. We were longlineing in 16-25 foot of water. Best bait for us were double 3/32 (orange) with Tex’s jigs. Caught fish from early morning till late. Lots of smaller fish for the future and enough for the next fish fry. Mouth to mid creek was good.
    http://litewirehooks.com/
    [email protected]
    Every day you do not fish will be one day less you have to fish
    Likes Hotwater, papasage LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jawjatek View Post
    What weight jigs, and how fast? I have been trying this lately, but don't think my depth is right. I've only caught a few here 'n there at my usual lake. I notice if I run under about 10-12 feet of water on my sonar, I pick up weeds on the jigs or get snagged so I guess mine are running at around 8-9 FOW. This is at 1 Mph with a 1/16 and 1/32 jig heads.
    I was trolling double 1/16 oz jigs in 12 to 25 ft of water. My best colors were grape/chat tail. I was fishing in the 25 ft channel but hitting the points going over 12 ft depths Thats where I found most of my fish.
    Thanks jawjatek thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

About 1 MPH? Thats the speed I ran this morning on my local lake (HG Lathem) but they weren't having any. Did catch a fat 3-4 lb bass, 'scuse me, green carp, on my 5'6" Crappie Stix and 4 lb test, and that was fun. I'll try again in the morning. I've caught them there before, but they do shut down in the post-frontal windy conditions, and are generally scattered otherwise. I haven't been able to pattern them. Yet.

In a week or two I get my new boat and will be coming to lago de Oconee for sure. Never fished there before!
    "Alive without breath, as cold as death; never thirsty, ever drinking, all in mail never clinking."

Post Thanks / Like

I love to longline. 90% of my crappie fishing is this technique. Nothing better for finding aggressive feeding fish and filling the cooler.
    For the Everlasting Glory of the Infantry.
    Likes TnT LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

What was the water temp there? I have often wondered about trying that during the winter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast