HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Planning first trip ever to Arkabutla. Any advice would really appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Planning first trip ever to Arkabutla. Any advice would really appreciated.

I normally fish KY lake but I am planning on making my first ever trip to the magnolia state this Sunday.

I know absolutely nothing about the lake. I would really appreciate any advice or help.

Where is the best ramp to launch at?
    Does Hernando have a good bait shop I can minnows at early Sunday morning?
    What depth water should I start in?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to spoil your plans, but if this is your first time down here, I would not start there. That is a tuff lake that has skunked a lot of veteran seasoned crappie fishermen. However, if you catch it ON, there are some slabs in there, but they are hard to find. If it were me, I would travel a little further south to Sardis or Enid. You will get several more responses to your question, just hang on! Take I 269 around Memphis to I 55. To Sardis is only about 30-45 minutes to the Sardis exit from there.
    "If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes" Unknown

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by armyman View Post
    I hate to spoil your plans, but if this is your first time down here, I would not start there. That is a tuff lake that has skunked a lot of veteran seasoned crappie fishermen. However, if you catch it ON, there are some slabs in there, but they are hard to find. If it were me, I would travel a little further south to Sardis or Enid. You will get several more responses to your question, just hang on! Take I 269 around Memphis to I 55. To Sardis is only about 30-45 minutes to the Sardis exit from there.
    Army man,

Thanks for your post. I would consider myself seasoned but not a veteran! Your words kinda scare me... I picked butla because its closer to home. Maybe I need ride a few more minutes and get on sardis.
    Likes Nutbush LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stevenrich2003 View Post
    Army man,

Thanks for your post. I would consider myself seasoned but not a veteran! Your words kinda scare me... I picked butla because its closer to home. Maybe I need ride a few more minutes and get on sardis.
    Steven, "Butla, as we call it down here, is not as close from where you're coming from, if it is Jackson. "Buta is several miles east of I-55, and you can be at Engineer Point at Sardis in about the same time or maybe a little less. Good Luck.
    Likes broharrell LIKED above post
    Thanks stevenrich2003 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Def do the Sardis thing. Butla is TUFF for someone who doesn't know it....hell, tuff for guys that DO know it.
    Likes armyman, Nutbush, Rees Guide LIKED above post

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

When he says seasoned he actually means experienced on Butla. It's drawn down pretty good right now which means lots of shallow water and sand bars you don't see. It's a real hard lake to fish most days. I haven't been and that's the lake I fish the most. Haven't talked to anyone that has. Had some bad rains in last few days so it's muddied up pretty good. Launching is not easy because of sand built up on bottom of ramps unless corps has done some cleaning since water drop, which I doubt they have. My suggestion is also Sardis put in at Engineers point. Go east until you see a cluster of boats. Then fish that area. Minnows at the dam store on your way to lake on your right about 5-6 miles from 55.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Likes stevenrich2003, broharrell LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Cray, you are seasoned AND experienced!
    Likes broharrell, Rees Guide, Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cray View Post
    When he says seasoned he actually means experienced on Butla. It's drawn down pretty good right now which means lots of shallow water and sand bars you don't see. It's a real hard lake to fish most days. I haven't been and that's the lake I fish the most. Haven't talked to anyone that has. Had some bad rains in last few days so it's muddied up pretty good. Launching is not easy because of sand built up on bottom of ramps unless corps has done some cleaning since water drop, which I doubt they have. My suggestion is also Sardis put in at Engineers point. Go east until you see a cluster of boats. Then fish that area. Minnows at the dam store on your way to lake on your right about 5-6 miles from 55.

Ok, this seals the deal. Sardis here I come!

Can you share any insight on this lake? I again appreciate the time and the words.

Post Thanks / Like

You've made the right decision. Stand by for more info. There's a lot more guys that are willing to help you. GOOD LUCK, and give us a report on your trip!

Post Thanks / Like

I fish bulta religiously. I know the lake very well And i only live about 5 minutes from the lake. The bite has been tuff to non existent for me. The lake has it good times and there is know doubt a bunch of hawgs in there but I wouldn't waste my time there right now. I even went to Sardis this past weekend to remind myself I can still catch a slab. She will humble the best of the best.
    Likes Cray, Rees Guide, armyman, stevenrich2003 LIKED above post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast