HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: How many pounds to sink?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How many pounds to sink?

Just curious how many pounds of quick Crete should it take to sink let's say 2 pallets? Thinking about sinking some hurdles.
    Jim

US Navy Gunner's mate 1984-1990

keeferfish is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know the exact amount but I do know pallets don't sink easy. Much better options than pallets.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mustfish View Post
    Just curious how many pounds of quick Crete should it take to sink let's say 2 pallets? Thinking about sinking some hurdles.
    I have placed many pallet beds. Ours were 8x8 and 4 ft tall stakes made from sawmill 1x4's. We had a conveyor on the front of the work boat. We would sit the pallet bed on the conveyor. Then on the back end of the pallet we used 4 heavy used concrete blocks and on the front edge of the bed we used 3 heavy used concrete blocks. Not sure how large your pallets are and how much wood you have, you will need to adjust accordingly. You might try putting one out in 4 or 5 ft of water and see if it floats. Adjust the weight as needed.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Concrete blocks don't weigh much in water. Takes several to sink a brush small brush pile. Concrete blocks loose weight over a few years in water and some just crumble like a stale cracker. I use a lots of blocks over the years. Best ones are the free ones.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Believe a standard 8x8” cement blocks weighs approximately 32-34 pounds and depending on the type of wood will hold down about 60 pounds of wood in areas with no significant current and/ or wave action. Denser wood is less buoyant. As far as pallets would put at least 3 blocks under it to create additional cover beneath it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. After nailing 2 together I'm rethinking my plan. That thing is heavy. I might stick with a block filled with concrete and brush. Just put it on a board and slide it off the boat.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole View Post
    Concrete blocks don't weigh much in water. Takes several to sink a brush small brush pile. Concrete blocks loose weight over a few years in water and some just crumble like a stale cracker. I use a lots of blocks over the years. Best ones are the free ones.
    The old ones were concrete and heavier . The new ones are cinder blocks much lighter .
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NIMROD View Post
    The old ones were concrete and heavier . The new ones are cinder blocks much lighter .

I do't know much about concrete blocks. The 3 holers are heavy. They last longer underwater than the 2 holers. The 2 holers are easy to maneuver under water. When the Ky lake is at winter pool, I add 2 hole blocks to existing brush by wading out with the blocks and tying the 2 holers on brush that has lost its blocks. Lots easier than adding new stuff.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Thanks Lowellhturner thanked you for this post