HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacing Trolling Motor Batteries

Post Thanks / Like

Default Replacing Trolling Motor Batteries

After 5 years, my trolling motor batteries no longer pass a load test.

Want to replace and move up front in storage area and put on separate charger.. Thinking of going with AGM type battery because of rougher ride up front and fumes from flooded type. Will still need to use as storage area as well. Plenty of room for both.

Current batteries are Group 29 flooded battery and have worked fine for long time.

Looking for recommendation on AGM batteries due to cost. Size, AH, etc. Any issues with moving up front I should be aware of?
    - dan aka "Fishfried"

“Life is what you make it. Always has been. Always will be.” ― Grandma Moses

Post Thanks / Like

I had mine up front in a 17' aluminum modified V boat. Two 29 series. That was a lot of weight and it negatively affected my hole shot. Prop would blow out if not trimmed just so. Before you relocate them, you might want to put some weight up there to try it first. It may not be a problem for your setup, just sharing my experience.
    Kevin
    in Yorktown
    Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have actually been running two fifty lbs bags of (wet) sand up front. Front of boat was light and affected by wind. Boat runs much better that way. Another reason I want to move batteries up front.

Just looking for battery recommendations since AGM are so expensive.
    - dan aka "Fishfried"

Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I replaced my trolling batterys this summer....I moved them to the front...I used two group 31 wet cell batterys. It works good boat fishes better in the wind with the extra weight up front and the boat gets up on plane easier and better. I have the batterys strapped down tight. No problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Last edited by "G"; 10-11-2018 at 08:43 AM.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Thanks SpeckledSlab thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

have my 2 up front under deck --- both are Cabela's agm 27 ---- one for 12v TM and one for cranking --- think they weigh about 60 lbs each and paid $149 (on sale) each. I put a 1/4" soft rubber in bottom of battery box for cushion but probably don't need it.
    -------> "Go ahead --- leave me on the dock --- see if I care" <-------

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like you got your $$ worth out of those batteries, why not just stay with wet cells?? You apparently have a good maintenance routine for them to last 5 yrs. I use WM wet cells, if I get 3 yrs I'm good as I figure it's a cost of going fishing.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    Seems like you got your $$ worth out of those batteries, why not just stay with wet cells?? You apparently have a good maintenance routine for them to last 5 yrs. I use WM wet cells, if I get 3 yrs I'm good as I figure it's a cost of going fishing.
    My Lowe boat has a HUGE storage area up front and thinking of moving batteries with each inside covered battery box.

Concern is fumes from wet cell batteries attacking other items such as life jackets and rain gear.

When in rear, I always propped lid open when charging and will do same if up front.
    - dan aka "Fishfried"

Post Thanks / Like

I have got 5 years out of the Wall-Mart 31 batteries

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDan View Post
    My Lowe boat has a HUGE storage area up front and thinking of moving batteries with each inside covered battery box.

Concern is fumes from wet cell batteries attacking other items such as life jackets and rain gear.

When in rear, I always propped lid open when charging and will do same if up front.
    My Alumacraft has 1 OEM TM battery spot in front left storage compartment, and I installed a 2nd one in right front storage compartment. I leave the lids open whiled stored in the shed and charging, closed during use with no bad effects on anything else stored in the front compartments for 2+ years.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.
    Likes TurboDan LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks jimp. I will go that route then.
    - dan aka "Fishfried"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast