HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded the tent.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
    I went to a fishing tournament last year with the "hopes" of saving some money and tent camping! After the first day of pre-fishing, we were greated with 57,000 inches (slight exageration) of rain, wind that picked up houses (I even saw a lady riding a bike and not touching the ground), and fish flying through the air. I promptly checked in to a Days Inn! I went back between tournament days, picked up my site, put it all in the back of my truck, and then placed it in the closest dumpster I could find! Like you, I couldn't be happier with my decision!

Instead of pulling in, setting up, taking time to tear down, and all the stuff that goes with it, I pull in, swipe my credit card, and go lay on a bed that is made for me every morning!
    I've camped in plenty of storms. My Eureka tent is water proof and never had a problem with 7" of rain in one night. We kept dry as a bug in a rug. Even been in hail storms, one Illinois Crappie gathering comes to mind. I was on the lake and when I got back rumor had it everyone took shelter under my dining fly. Dining fly is a misnomer. It's a 10'x20' portable carport. I attach the rain fly of my tent to it and set it up over the picnic table. Half is picnic table, cooking and the other half is for camp chairs, socializing during inclimate weather. Taken many a naps under that dining fly.
    This is the dining fly I use.
    Max AP™ Canopy - 6 Legs

Name:  DSCF2158.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  116.2 KB

If you look close you can see my cot under the dining fly. Like I said, been camping for a long time. Those that make the Illinois Crappie camps have seen my set-up. The wife wants to go and she requires flush toilets, hot showers and ac. Just ain't happening in my primitive sites. As for set-up and tear down. Tent and dining fly camp site it takes me about 1.5 hours to set-up by myself and I've torn down camp in about an hour before. Everything packed and ready for the next trip. With the camper, granted I'm still working out the set-up, tear down process but it takes about half that time.

Rained during this camping trip. Sitting under the dining fly enjoying a cold one watching mother nature do her thing. It's so peaceful and relaxing camping in the rain.

Name:  DSCF2165.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  98.8 KB

My oldest with a green carp.

Name:  DSCF2167.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  DSCF2169.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  117.5 KB
    Name:  DSCF2171.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  113.9 KB

All of it fit in my old boat. This was a primitive campsite and accessed by boat. Every thing in camp was brought there and back in that 14' boat. It was a tight fit. We even placed in the money during the night tournament.
    Name:  DSCF2166.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  78.1 KB
    Last edited by Hanr3; 09-13-2018 at 09:59 PM.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!
    Likes S10CHEVY, 4lber LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats look like lot memories to be made.
    LittleJohn
    Thanks Hanr3 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice rig! Did you beef up the frame for the trailer hitch for the boat. I used to pull my 14' flat bottom behind my camper but, I was not sure about pulling my 17 1/2' Tracker behind it

Post Thanks / Like

That fly looks good. Hard to put up?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Proud member of TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IkenI View Post
    That fly looks good. Hard to put up?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Not hard to put up once I did a few things to expedite the process.
    I painted the joints different colors. Brown for the legs, red for the cross braces, and left the long rails white. Match the colored ends and put that pole in the general location.
    I made guide ropes and slide them on the crosses before I slide in the poles. Once the fly is up, stretch the rope and drive a stake. I used slip knots so I can tighten up there rope and hold it in place regardless of wind speed. Survived 30mph guests with no problem.
    There are 24 bungies that hold the tarp to the frame. Once the frame is built, excluding legs, I stretch the tarp over and anchor at all 4 corners, and each middle. Then lift up the center and insert the middle leg, then both outside legs, repeat other side. Intall the remaining bungies, and stake it down. 30 minutes or so and I'm done. I should make a video sometime.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deltarat View Post
    Nice rig! Did you beef up the frame for the trailer hitch for the boat. I used to pull my 14' flat bottom behind my camper but, I was not sure about pulling my 17 1/2' Tracker behind it
    Not yet. Tiok hit to two different welders and got two differing opinions on beefing it up. Eventually I will do both.
    First mod. - the spring hangers are really long and for peace of mind should have a plate welded so they don't lay over. One welder recommended, other didn't think it would be a problem.
    Second mod. - add more weld to the tubing . Tubing supports the rack and rear bumper and is stitxh welded to I beam frame. One welder recommended making it a solid weld top and bottom. Other wasn't concerned because the ends are welded top to bottom.
    I'll add pictures when I can for clarification later.
    The rack is rated for 250 pounds. My boat tongue weight is 280.
    I bolted on a Curt RV hitch, rated to 3500 pounds, 350 tongue weight.
    I had no issues so far and doubt I need the welding. Next time I head to northern Wisconsin I'll have my brother take a look and weld it up. He used to weld stainless steel tube across the country for oil, and food processing plants. He still has a few Tig welders laying around.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    HOI Crappie Club

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hanr3 View Post
    I've camped in plenty of storms. My Eureka tent is water proof and never had a problem with 7" of rain in one night. We kept dry as a bug in a rug. Even been in hail storms, one Illinois Crappie gathering comes to mind. I was on the lake and when I got back rumor had it everyone took shelter under my dining fly. Dining fly is a misnomer. It's a 10'x20' portable carport. I attach the rain fly of my tent to it and set it up over the picnic table. Half is picnic table, cooking and the other half is for camp chairs, socializing during inclimate weather. Taken many a naps under that dining fly.
    This is the dining fly I use.
    Max AP™ Canopy - 6 Legs

Name:  DSCF2158.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  116.2 KB

If you look close you can see my cot under the dining fly. Like I said, been camping for a long time. Those that make the Illinois Crappie camps have seen my set-up. The wife wants to go and she requires flush toilets, hot showers and ac. Just ain't happening in my primitive sites. As for set-up and tear down. Tent and dining fly camp site it takes me about 1.5 hours to set-up by myself and I've torn down camp in about an hour before. Everything packed and ready for the next trip. With the camper, granted I'm still working out the set-up, tear down process but it takes about half that time.

Rained during this camping trip. Sitting under the dining fly enjoying a cold one watching mother nature do her thing. It's so peaceful and relaxing camping in the rain.

Name:  DSCF2165.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  98.8 KB

My oldest with a green carp.

Name:  DSCF2167.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  40.1 KB

Name:  DSCF2169.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  117.5 KB
    Name:  DSCF2171.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  113.9 KB

All of it fit in my old boat. This was a primitive campsite and accessed by boat. Every thing in camp was brought there and back in that 14' boat. It was a tight fit. We even placed in the money during the night tournament.
    Name:  DSCF2166.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  78.1 KB
    Looks like a 50s era Johnson on that boat. I have a 60s era Grumman with an old 6hp Evinrude I bought new in 1972.
    Both still in great shape. Also have a 12x16 Eureka tent I bought in the early 70s and that is also still in good shape.
    Put them away clean and dry and they will last a very long time.
    Also bought a new 31' Holiday Rambler travel trailer in early 73, with all aluminum construction, no wood any where, enclosed insulated under belly with in floor ducted heat. Cost was $9.800 with AC and a 20' roll out awning.
    Full hookup site in a KOA was 6 to 8 bucks depending on location. Ft Wilderness in Disney World was 16 bucks a night in 1973. Gas was well under a dollar a gallon, and the 3/4 ton Chevy 4 wheel drive suburban tow vehicle was $7.200.
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

sinkermaker is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice setup you have there and as for as tent camping uncle sugar broke me out of tent camping a long time ago. If I don't ever spend another night in a tent that will be fine. Have owned several motor homes and that is the way to go for me. Enjoy your set up.
    Likes Hanr3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That is a sweet setup! Congrats!
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Post Thanks / Like

Great story Tim. Yep, I always thought you camped very well, now you're camping in style too. And yep, my wifey wasn't gonna go camping in no tent (anymore) either, so we did the fifth wheel thing too. You'll grow to love the ease of camping this new way, not as close to nature as the old way, but close enough. Thanks for sharing.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast