Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Caliber For Deer

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of options,I've put more deer down with a 270 than I can remember,but it took my son and his love for reloading and shooting that pretty much retired old faithful.My only suggestion would be this,If you are sticking to whitetail deer and nothing much bigger,I don't see you being disappointed in a short action caliber.
    Modern day Bullet coefficient allows today's guns to shoot further,with less drop,and better accuracy than the same caliber just a few short years ago.Powders manufactures have improved and even invented newer powders that will give amazing results with less grains,heck even primers have improved.
    Likes crp4570 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

There is a wealth of knowledge it what wicklundrh wrote. I do like the 7-08 though in a model 7 for stand hunting where there will only be a chance of one shot and no chance of the barrel heating up. My favorite is my 280 from Remington's custom shop. It will put 3 completely under a dime, when I do my part. I do hand load my ammo although, that is not as big a difference as it use to be.

Post Thanks / Like

All depends on where and how you hunt. I own over 50 rifles not all are big game rifles. If I'm hunting in the woods and not going to shoot more than 100ys I'm taking my R1 308. If I'm hunting green fields I love my Winchester model 70 in 270win. If I'm walking it's a ruger 44mag Deerfield. I use others at times just for fun. I wouldn't go any smaller than a 7mm and no larger than a 30calaber. You also have to consider do you want a automatic, bolt, pump or lever actions. I love them all that's why I have so many. Do I need them no but I love getting them out and enjoying them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

I have 30-06 and a .270

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the same 7mm Rem Mag for the last 25 years. I have never had one a whitetail run off, typically drop where they were standing. Get good optics, the recoil will ruin the cheap ones.

Post Thanks / Like

First hunting rifle was a used Winchester Model 70 in 30-06. Beautiful rifle with a Monte Carlo walnut stock and 24" barrel. With my 165 grn Nosler handloads, the rifle produced sub-moa groups. Topped with an old Leupold VXII 3-9, many deer and pig were harvested with this rifle.

10 years later I bought a Remington Model 700 classic in .308. With the right loads, this rifle is even more accurate than the Model 70. I like it alot - has a beautiful stock, 24" barrel, and has a Leupold FXIII 6 power scope.

This year, I bought a another Winchester Model 70, this time in .270 Winchester. It's a featherweight model and beautiful. While I haven't hunted with it, I have burned a lot of powder with it - very accurate with federal premium 130 grn ammo.

No need for a belted magnum for me but if that floats your boat, go for it. Just remember very few projectiles will perform well at that high a velocity under a 100 yards. The deer will die if hit in the vitals, hopefully found, but without an exit would will be hard to track if required.
    USAF Retired - 1988 - 2011

Likes A_LOTA_NOTA LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My daughter has shot a .243 for the past 4 years. She has not put a bullet in a deer that we did not recover. This goes for 8 other kids I have taken hunting. There has been one deer lost and it was shot in the upper leg.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle
    Likes strmwalker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

270 when hunting meat, used one for over 20 years. Last few years I've gone to a 300 Win Mag for hunting the bigger boys. 243, 270, 280, 30-30, 308, 30-06, 7mm are all great medium game rounds. It all comes down to shot placement, never over compensate due to being a poor shot. Time on the range is the key aspect to whichever caliber you choose.
    Likes John Doe LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

243, 308, 30-06 ammo can be purchased almost anywhere. I shoot 243 with gr loads for whitetail. I drop down to 55-85 gr for fox and coyote

Post Thanks / Like

All calibers mentioned above will definitely kill deer. My opinion, pick the rifle first, then worry about the caliber. If I hunt open fields, I'm carrying my bolt action 25-06. Tree stand in the brush, my lever action for quick aim and follow up shots if needed. Pick a rifle that suits your style of hunting, one you truly like and that fits you. Then pick the caliber. I seem to shoot the rifles I love better than ones I don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast