Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Caliber For Deer

Post Thanks / Like

Default Caliber For Deer

I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but what is everyones OPINION on best caliber for deer? I'm going to get a new rifle this fall and not very familiar with deer hunting but wanting to learn. I'm sure its more personal preference than anything huh?

Post Thanks / Like

if it is just Whitetail, .243, .257 Roberts, 25/06, 7mm08, .308, .270, .280, 30/06, 30-30win, 35rem, 45-70, 444 Marlin, kinda depends on where and style of hunting. I prefer .243, 7mm08 and .308 but thats just me. Whitetail are not made of ballistic steel that some lead to believe. Take out the pump station, air compressor or central nervous system and you have meat on table. Shot placement is far more than caliber as long as you choose caliber wisely. If heading to large foodplots, beanfields or wide open country some of the flatter magnum rounds might help a touch with trajectory.
    Likes crp4570 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input. I've had .223, 30-06 and .308 in the past but never shot past 100 yards with any of them. I like the .308 round and might go with it again.
    Likes "D", badbull LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

All calibers mentioned above are good. Pick caliber that has greatest diverse ammo selection nearest you.
    Likes wicklundrh LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I have killed deer with a 30-30,7mm-08 now have a 308 Hope to get a deer with it this season.Wife just bought a Savage 6.5 Creedmoor today.Take a look at it,gets good reviews.

Post Thanks / Like

.280 for me. I love this caliber..

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I like the 30 cal. 30-06, 308 being my favorites . I do shoot 7mm rem mag for power line/bean field type hunting . Will be able to give judgement on 25-06 after this year . 150 gr. in 30-06 or 308 will be more than plenty and tracking will not be an issue . Great shot ? 243, 270, 7mm-08.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorta depends on where you're hunting. If you're hunting in the woods, I'd get a larger caliber and shoot round nosed, heavy bullets. If you're hunting a bean field, I'd get something like a 25-06. I own a 7 mag and have not been a fan. Killed a pile of deer with it, but have lost several with it. Some were just bad shots but some weren't.

I've killed a bunch of deer with everything from 22-30 calibers. Bows, shotguns and muzzleloaders. I'm about burned out on deer hunting but my weapon of choice these days if I'm going is a 7mm-08.

Light rifle, light recoil, short action. Nice compact gun for treestand or stalking.

Overall, if I just had one rifle, it's hard to beat a 30-06. You could probably find ammo in a hardware store in any state in the Union if you just had to have some.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info gentlemen. Going to go take a look this weekend

Post Thanks / Like

I’m in the exact same boat, and I went 30-06. I figured it would handle a lot of situations, and at this point I don’t plan on buying an arsenal! Key phrase, “At this point.”
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast