HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 167 of 215 FirstFirst ... 67117157164165166167168169170177 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,670 of 2150

Thread: Uncle Don's coffeehouse 2018

Post Thanks / Like

That the first King I ever caught trolling on that board configuration.
    Custom Rods: Out-Snagging Berkly's 7-2 Since 2019 / Custom Rods: Collecting more dust that Berkley due to Covid Since 2020
    Custom Rods: Not afraid to show, in 2021

Likes Redge, "G", "D", vbottom, Billbob, Just Steve LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Uncle Don's coffeehouse 2018

Going back a few posts.....Aaron, Rich or anyone...using a single hook versus a treble on Salmon spoons for a better hookup ratio.....would that hold true for walleye as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    2017 MiCDC fall crappie guide of the year (FCGOTY)
    Member: “Michigan chapter of Team Overalls
    Haulin Ash Fishing Rocks-"D"
    Caution: If we fish together, you may be on YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Steve,

While I am no expert, and can only speak from my experience, I am going to say NO, Rich may have a different answer and more in depth on the walleye, but here is why I believe the answer would be NO.

Its two different fish, that utilize two very distinct methods of consuming their prey.

Salmon will smash with their hard head, tail, to disorient, then circle back, and then consume. They also bite them, and then RUN (Think Big Rips again, Let go to circle back to the prey) In the vastness of Lake Michigan, they can smash with heads, and whack with tails at the spoon, and nothing will happen, UNTIL they take a bite at the spoon.

So those spoons with the single hook are configured for those Bite & Rips, that occur on Lake Michigan. Salmon also have a slight issue of very tough outer layer that is almost armor like around the head and face area. Thus the desire to hook that jaw bone. there is also no way for the Salmon, Steelhead, etc, to use the unhooked trebles as a lever to become unhooked.

Walleye, tend to SUCK the prey into its mouth (Think Singer Hook while Jigging, and its the only example I can think of to put into words) they can attack from any direction, and SWALLOW, but what they do NOT do, is takeoff @ a maximum speed of 30Mph trying to disorient the leech, flicker, etc. on its way to Wisconsin, and or Canada, they tend to just SWALLOW the prey.

So the trebles on my Flicker Minnows will remain on them, or as they break get replaced with a higher quality hook, but I think the trebles on those are a perfect for that method of fishing. You might be able t put a properly sized and matching weight Siwash at the rear of a flicker, but I am not sure its needed for that application of fishing.

Also the hook, whether treble or Siwash needs to be properly sized, and can make a difference as well. One of the articles said to use a larger treble hook, 5/0 to 6/0. I how ever tried the Siwash, and my numbers of hook up increased so much, I felt no need to try the larger treble. Weight can make a change in lure presentation and action as well.

Makes sense? It does to me, but I'm a Pollack.
    Custom Rods: Out-Snagging Berkly's 7-2 Since 2019 / Custom Rods: Collecting more dust that Berkley due to Covid Since 2020
    Custom Rods: Not afraid to show, in 2021

Likes Billbob, skillett007 LIKED above post
    Thanks Just Steve thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Makes sense to me

Post Thanks / Like

Another Awesome explanation Aaron. The Salmoniod species like to stun their pray, walleye try to inhale or engulf their pray.

Walleye will often T-bone a stick bait hitting the middle treble with their mouth. If it rips out, the bottom treble is usually under the jaw. With salmon, they try to stun the pray, oftentimes, if you were to hit a salmon with a stick bait, the trebles will be in the top of the head as they get caugh while trying to stun their pray.

Walleye will often come in from the side to hit where Salmon might follow a bait for several hundred yards before deciding to strike. You can usually see the line on the graph following your bait. Coho are notorious for this. Captain's trick: if you see this, bump our boat in neutral, and back in gear. The fish was following your bait at the same speed, this sudden speed decrease causes a reaction strike due to the bait coming at them so fast!

Post Thanks / Like

I figured for $25.00 each I couldn’t pass up these downriggers

Name:  IMG_9479.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  127.3 KB

just in case the salmon bug bit me.

I’ve spent more in a night and only had a hangover in the morning to show for it.

I’ll have to figure out a way to mount them, hopefully on a set of Traxs......Christmas is coming....you never know what Santa might bring.

Likes Redge LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Can you run a 1/16 oz jig off those?
    The older I get the more I realize the therapeutic benefits of fishing
    Proud member of Michigan chapter "Team Overalls"
    Worlds proudest grandpa x6
    Likes wicklundrh LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spartannation View Post
    Can you run a 1/16 oz jig off those?
    Wouldn't that look funny, over on Morrison Lake using downriggers to troll for Crappies!

One thing for certain, they would be down to a depth.

In other news at the Ash Homestead:
    Judy's radiation treatments are going to be all done this next Wednesday. She's sore but doing real good and upbeat!

Monday night my dad was admitted to the Hospital so Tuesday the Dr. told us he had high blood pressure, signs of pneumonia and congestive heart failure based on their EKG (?) So I wait with my brother Mark at the hospital to hear from the Cardoilogist......whom doesn't show up until 4:30 p.m. to tell us the Dr mis read the EKG(?) there is nothing wrong with my dad other than high blood pressure and he was writing a order to get him off the meds they had just put him on and to let him go home!

Finally dad was released from the hospital yesterday around noon.......I suppose he will still get billed for all of this even though the Dr. made the mistake of mis reading.

I know why I am getting to be more and more of a recluse every day, because of things like that.

Oh well.....today is a brand new day, coffee is on and it's time to go make someones house beautiful!

I love my job
    Likes OneidaEagle, "D" LIKED above post

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Good morning....glad your Dad is ok. Glad Judy is doing good also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Last edited by "G"; 08-23-2018 at 04:56 AM.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

That's great news for Judy...Michelle had a bad read on her gal bladder..it was so enlarged they mistook it for another part before she had emergency surgery and yep we paid for the second MRI they ran. Frustrating...

Sent from my XT1650 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    “Everyone should believe in something. I believe I’ll go fishing.” – Henry David Thoreau