HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mercury Engine Issues

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to remove the float switch and test it to see if it's working because a lot of stuff I've been reading points that direction. I did check all hoses for kinks and obstructions. I'll keep you posted on what I find out.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar issue couple years ago with an 05 115. Fuel lines were clogged bad due to ethanol fuel. Motor would idle fine and troll fine but when it hit about 3000 rpm wouldn't hardly run. Let off the throttle and it'd run fine. It was starving for fuel

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a simlar problem (Johnson 90), with the extra feature of "skipping" or stuttering at around 4200 rpms. I replaced the fuel line and pumped up the bulb to find fuel squirting from around the top of the fuel air separator. Two screws had loosened about three turns! Well, I tightened (also replaced plugs ,cables, and coils). I still have this problem. Boats are such an adventure.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar problem on my johnson 90. After replacing a couple sensors,ect it ended up being the power pack.
    Thanks Crewmax42 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Did you get it fixed? Use caution when going into the float/fuel reservoir? The screws have been known to pull the threaded inserts loose. I have a 2011 115 four stroke that had similar issues. After replacing the float switch I still had issues. Turned out to be I was losing my prime by not having a hand pump that has a check valve in it. Installed a hand primer pump. Never had another issue since.
    Living in a Poorman's Paradise

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered the parts and they should be in first thing next week. It is my goal to change the switch next weekend. I'm really hoping that solves it but I'll keep the primer pump in mind if it doesn't.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for the late update, I've been traveling a lot for work. Got it back on the water today and she runs great again

The problem was the float module. I replaced it and the little vent hose inside the fuel supply module. That float modue is a cheap piece of junk but it still cost me $70 then $20 for the hose and another $20 for a new cover gasket. All Mercury name brand replacements. Funny how they tell you to make sure to use genuine Mercury parts to avoid problems but it was Mercury brand that failed in the first place.

Any who, they were replaced in about an hour and she's back to where she should be.

Hope this helps anyone else that has an issue with a 2011 or 2012ish time frame Mercury motor. For around $110 and an hour of your time it will be back to new. Had I taken it to a shop they quoted around $450. Now I have $340 to spend on some new fishing tackle or just keep it for minnows this winter.
    Likes need2befishin, pg3 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That's great to hear. Tight Lines.
    Living in a Poorman's Paradise

Post Thanks / Like

Happened to me on High Rock this past May. It was the inside liner on the fuel line from the gas tank to the motor. Changed that and filters and it ran fine.
    Jerry "Bo" Bryant
    "Follow me and I will make you fishers of men" (Matthew 4:19)

Post Thanks / Like

My problem has gotten to be intermittent. Runs good sometimes and other times runs out of fuel at high RPM. I started off thinking about my fuel hose but now I wonder if there is something that blocks my fuel pickup line in the tank. Worse part is I bought the boat new in November 2017 and this problem started in May. Also from Jan- April I was down with a knee replacement so what ever is wrong was probably floating in the tank from manufacturing. And my dealer had the boat for 10 weeks and can't find anything wrong.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast