HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Walleye kill at Melvern..............

Post Thanks / Like

Default Walleye kill at Melvern..............

Any word on what is killing the walleye at Melvern?
    I have some in the freezer at home, that came from there,and want to make sure they are going to be alright to eat.

Thanks

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Dave View Post
    Any word on what is killing the walleye at Melvern?
    I have some in the freezer at home, that came from there,and want to make sure they are going to be alright to eat.

Thanks
    Fishin Dave,

There has been a low grade walleye die off occurring at Melvern Reservoir recently.

Currently there is no known cause of the mortality. Preliminary thoughts are that it is a result of the very hot temperatures and a secondary infection. KDWPT Fisheries Staff were at the lake on Tuesday and were unable to find any sick or recently dead walleye. Fresh dead fish are required if the fish are to be sent off to the Federal lab for testing. Advanced decomposed fish are not useful in determining cause of death. KDWPT and the COE will continue to monitor the situation.

If the fish you caught put up a good fight when caught and appeared healthy with no signs of illness they should be fine to eat. Obviously don't eat fish that appear unhealthy or dead. Below is some general information on the subject.

What if I See Sick or Dead Fish?

Summertime can be stressful for fish, particularly when there are sustained high temperatures or after heavy rains. You may occasionally see sick or dead fish, and winds may push dead ones to shore where they can accumulate.

Do not eat sick or dead fish. Otherwise, fish may be eaten as long as you follow these precautions:

· Rinse the fish with clean water and only eat the fillet portion. Cook the fillet thoroughly. Discard all other parts.
    · If you catch a fish that appears sick, return it to the water.
    · Wash hands thoroughly after handling any fish, and do not handle dead fish.
    · Do not allow pets to eat sick or dead fish.

Craig
    Likes steveinsene, Blackdog40 LIKED above post
    Thanks Crappie Chatt, Fishin Dave, dkv thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was hoping for it being something like that. They were plenty healthy when we caught them, just making sure before we eat em. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Might be released fish that were not handled correctly. I would suspect this is the dead ones where all under the length limit.
    Likes Flint LIKED above post