Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tough Day on the Red

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tough Day on the Red

Fished/explored on the Red Pool 5/4. Hit a few usually productive spots with no bites. Even the catfish weren't interested in shiners, jigs, or cranks. The rocks, however made quick work of stealing my new Arkie crank bait. I decided to lock through, and check out the area below the dam. Speedy lock through both ways. Checked out "oxbow" below the lock, it was shallow with no deep cover. The next one was better, but still no bites. Tried the rocks near that one and caught a gou, and a gar. There were lots of fallen trees on the bank that dropped off to 20 feet or so of water. Caught a couple of crappie there. Decided to explore Loggy Bayou. It was beautiful! Too much cover! Marked lots of shad on the 'Bird, but only one bite. Got a visit from one of the friendliest wildlife agents I ever met. Everything in order. Rode up past the railroad bridge, still no luck. Fished my way back upriver, caught a few more catfish, the got back to the truck before the rain.

Fun day, but seemed like all the fish were in a negative mood. Love my Engel Minnow box! Also I got a quart? sized ss bottle from Wally World. I filled it with ice, then water. Drank all the water and filled it twice with bottled water, and still had some ice in it!

Post Thanks / Like

too bad about the crank bait......shad on the ff makes the blood flow......the fish were not too active early....not till the water skiers and wave makers came out....oh and the catfish noodle folks at half throttle with the maze of noodles to fish around......all this activity on the water was when the fish began to bite...noon...then rains came down......welcome to the forum.......great day to be out....

Post Thanks / Like

The nice thing about the Red River is you can find solitude if you want to. Unfortunately, the fish seem to be near the river and not the backwater, but still, where I went there are few people.
    Likes fishervet LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Also, there are lots of gizzard shad on the river, and I think they look like crappie on the downimaging. Not nearly as simple as prospecting lakes in Arkansas.

Post Thanks / Like

A good day of scouting will pay off down the road or should I say creek Tough Day on the Red
    Every day is a holiday and every meal is a picnic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishervet View Post
    too bad about the crank bait......shad on the ff makes the blood flow......the fish were not too active early....not till the water skiers and wave makers came out....oh and the catfish noodle folks at half throttle with the maze of noodles to fish around......all this activity on the water was when the fish began to bite...noon...then rains came down......welcome to the forum.......great day to be out....
    Where did you go? I went to Dubuisson yesterday. Not 1 fish. I left at 11:00. no bites + water skiers = go home.

Post Thanks / Like

Never mind. I now see your post about Dupuisson. I saw you pulling cranks. I was spider rigging double shiner rigs. I only got 3 bites in 2 1/2 hours and they were all at the same time. One of them must have been a gar or catfish. He broke my line right away. You did good pulling those cranks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dapet View Post
    Never mind. I now see your post about Dupuisson. I saw you pulling cranks. I was spider rigging double shiner rigs. I only got 3 bites in 2 1/2 hours and they were all at the same time. One of them must have been a gar or catfish. He broke my line right away. You did good pulling those cranks.
    yeah I saw you....now I know it was someone I knew.....when I saw you I had 1 sac and 2 drum......then in the next hour or so I caught all the rest....the shad were in the corner east from where the drain pipe is....I have not caught much with shiners there but every winter I still try....one day....one day.
    Likes prefers shiners LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  IMG_1341.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  87.1 KBLlllL

Post Thanks / Like

Loggy Bayou, lined with and filled with fallen trees.
    Last edited by escout; 07-09-2018 at 01:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast