HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Float And Fly

Post Thanks / Like

Default Float And Fly

Do any of you guys ever use a technique called “Float And Fly?” As I understand it, it involves suspending a very small jig beneath a bobber to catch bream. If any of you use that technique, please tell me everything I need to know to give it a try. Do you just let the jig sit there or do you retrieve it? Slow and steady or slow rod twitches and stops, etc? What jigs do you use? Color combinations? How deep? Everything else I don’t know enough to ask? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

The term "float n fly" was popularlzed by smallmouth guys who used it in cold water for inactive fish. That's the only situation when I would consider using it: cold water and inactive fish. IMO, the float is unnecessary in most situations.

Keep it simple and just throw the jig.
    Likes PickwickDam LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gill Fisher View Post
    Do any of you guys ever use a technique called “Float And Fly?” As I understand it, it involves suspending a very small jig beneath a bobber to catch bream. If any of you use that technique, please tell me everything I need to know to give it a try. Do you just let the jig sit there or do you retrieve it? Slow and steady or slow rod twitches and stops, etc? What jigs do you use? Color combinations? How deep? Everything else I don’t know enough to ask? Thanks.
    I utilize what I’ve called a float and fly technique for Panfish .
    It all began when the arthritis in my hands and elbows got to where I couldn’t enjoy Flyfishing anymore . By tying small 1/80th jig copies of some of my favorite flies , I use a weighted float , usually a 1” round one. I called them microjigs .
    I put the microjig about 18-24” under the float . With this I can lob my float and fly a good distance . Ive found a 7’ UL or light action rod works best with four pound test line and sometimes I’ll use two pound test .
    I cast out let the fly drop , then slowly retrieve. I’ve found if there’s a ripple on the water , it works best .
    I’ve caught everything from gills , crappies, catfish , and LM bass . Caught a few chain pickerel too.
    It’s a fun relaxing way to fish .
    My favorite jig is a copy of what’s called a woolybooger . I’ll see if I can dig up some pictures . Gillchaser .
    Likes SpeckledSlab, Cricketcage LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Couldn’t find the pictures I wanted to post . I lost a lot of pictures when I closed my photobucket account .
    This also works with small soft plastics , Trout Magnets and 1” curlytails .
    A lot of my jigs are just chenille wrapped bodies with a tail made of rabbit fur or feathers . I prefer the rabbit fur , it’s more durable. I trim it off Zonker strips . Gillchaser

Post Thanks / Like

yes i use it all the time. i have some tiny bead heads like in the picture. i also like the micro plastics that are out these days. my rig is mostly used in shallow water areas and with fixed floats. when they go deep you can use a drop weight rig with 2 flys/jigs up the line.(if legal in your state) ill drift over open water with them set at 10-12ft. good way to load the cooler at times.

Post Thanks / Like

I use it a lot in winter and early spring. The Trout Magnet is my fly though. Using it with 2# test will yield me 30-80 of these on a good day. To get best results.....no matter the specie you are after....a 9 foot rod is a must.

RegardsName:  Smallie at Center Hill100_0901.jpg
Views: 789
Size:  27.8 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes EWS, SuperCorona LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice smallie . This is my largest LM caught on a 1/80th oz microjig woolybooger and 4# line . The line looks big in the picture because it’s close to the cellphone camera. It’s 4# p-line .
    This was with a 7’ Daiwa Procyon UL rod .
    I too have had good luck with the Trout Magnet . Gillchaser

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Really enjoy fishing the float and fly.my go to now is the trout magnets and crappie magnets,Trout magnets for gills and crappie magnets for crappie and smallmouth. We have bluff walls setting in 100' of water early spring feb-march can tear up the big smallmouth.8-9 ft rod is a must!! Just another tool in the bag.Jeff"trout magnets" on youtube has some good videos using this tech for trout and crappie.Our two cents.
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

Here’s my biggest catfish caught on a 1/80th microjig and float . This one was caught using my St Croix 4 piece 5’6” Triumph Travel UL and 4# line .
    Took a while wearing this one down and landing without a net .
    Just behind my right is the rest of my equipment for bank fishing float and fly . My folding stool and a couple boxes of microjigs .
    The pond is a private pond I now longer can fish . My good friend from church was tragically killed by a falling tree while getting this area ready for his daughters wedding this past year . Gillchaser
    Last edited by gillchaser999; 07-08-2018 at 09:28 PM.
    Likes SpeckledSlab LIKED above post
    Thanks jackie53 thanked you for this post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I cast out and if I don't get a bite within 10 sec. I will reel it about a ft. and stop . The pendulum action will drive them nuts . I sometimes tip with a meal worm or nibble . Name:  20180319_104157.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  215.3 KB
    Likes SpeckledSlab, Techno2000, zig zag LIKED above post
    Thanks jackie53 thanked you for this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast