HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coppernose

Post Thanks / Like

Default Coppernose

Can someone point me to a place I can catch some of these gigantors in Tennessee or Alabams

Sent from my SM-J700T using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Love, what more can I say

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Tippah county lake in MS

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Thanks mighty thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mighty View Post
    Can someone point me to a place I can catch some of these gigantors in Tennessee or Alabams

I can’t tell you about copper nose in Alabama.....but I highly suspect you would have to find them in a private lake. Copper nose are native to South Georgia and Florida. There is only one public lake I know of in TN that has them......and they are few and far between. They do not do well stocked outside their native range........unless they are put on a heavy feeding program......and even then they do not measure up to the copper nose that California has stocked in some of their lakes. Richmond Mill has them in North Carolina.......a private lake that you can fish for I think it is 600 bucks for 4 hours. They spend a lot of money feeding those fish and they do get big. Lake Perris in California....and Clear Lake....and maybe some others there....have them in abundance and due to the long growing season there they do extremely well in those public waters....those locations are evidently perfect for copper nose. Even though TN winters are not severe it is too cold for copper nose. I have several friends who have them stocked in their private bass lakes and they do not have much growth at all....but they are more prolific breeders than our northern strain so they provide a great forage base for their trophy bass. Wish I could help you out.

Regards

Sent from my iPad using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Thanks Slabprowler, mighty thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I think one of our members TnPondmanager is a guide on ponds in West Tennessee. I think they stock and manage the Coppernose Bluegill in some of their private ponds. You may try to PM him for some more information. I am not affiliated with him or his business.
    Thanks mighty thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post
    I can’t tell you about copper nose in Alabama.....but I highly suspect you would have to find them in a private lake. Copper nose are native to South Georgia and Florida. There is only one public lake I know of in TN that has them......and they are few and far between. They do not do well stocked outside their native range........unless they are put on a heavy feeding program......and even then they do not measure up to the copper nose that California has stocked in some of their lakes. Richmond Mill has them in North Carolina.......a private lake that you can fish for I think it is 600 bucks for 4 hours. They spend a lot of money feeding those fish and they do get big. Lake Perris in California....and Clear Lake....and maybe some others there....have them in abundance and due to the long growing season there they do extremely well in those public waters....those locations are evidently perfect for copper nose. Even though TN winters are not severe it is too cold for copper nose. I have several friends who have them stocked in their private bass lakes and they do not have much growth at all....but they are more prolific breeders than our northern strain so they provide a great forage base for their trophy bass. Wish I could help you out.

Regards

I had no idea they were in clear lake. I'm from the bay area. Have to chec k it out when I go back in August.

Love, what more can I say

Post Thanks / Like

I know the REs cross with Northern strain & Coppernose Bluegill, out here . You would think that the hybrid could take the colder conditions..

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LedHed View Post
    I know the REs cross with Northern strain & Coppernose Bluegill, out here . You would think that the hybrid could take the colder conditions..
    They cross here...all kind of ways....but....the copper nose just can’t hack the colder weather we have. The folks I know that have them in their ponds have never had a kill off but they will not do well unless on a feeding program.....and even on a feeding program they won’t come up with the consistent size copper nose out of LP. The one public lake that everyone thought they would take off in just did not happen. I’ve hung around with TWRA biologist for years......just talking with them....going on several shock boat trips watching the lake surveys and they will tell you they have determined it is not feasible to stock them here. The pic is one of a few I caught out of a 300 acre lake 6 years back. As time went on fewer showed up each year....now no one has caught any from there in a couple of years. I would be in heaven here if those fish could do well in out public lakes...just ain’t gonna happen.

Regards

Name:  Copper Nose May 2012 101_1711.jpg
Views: 1931
Size:  59.3 KB

Thanks Cropduster1968 thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I wish!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Alphahawk View Post

Regards

That't very interesting about Coppernose I did not know that. I found this article about the subject. Very Interesting...

The Truth about Coppernose Bluegill in Tennessee Ponds | Trophy Pond
    'Jesus answered and said to them, “Go and tell John the things which you hear and see:
    The blind see and the lame walk; lepers are cleansed and deaf hear; dead are raised up and poor have the gospel preached to them.
    And blessed is he who is not offended because of Me... Matthew 11:4-6

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. S View Post
    That't very interesting about Coppernose I did not know that. I found this article about the subject. Very Interesting...

The Truth about Coppernose Bluegill in Tennessee Ponds | Trophy Pond
    Well I know the gentleman who wrote that article. I would suggest you search out a lot more info. He does not tell you those fish in his pics are on a heavy feeding program. It is not so much that they die off in TN waters but they have to be on a heavy feeding program or they just don’t do well in our waters. I have several friends who have bass ponds and they stock copper nose for forage......copper nose breed like rabbits.....much more so than our northern strain of bluegill. They do not have their ponds on a feeding program.....plenty of copper nose in them just no size....that’s the way they want them. I’m sure you have heard of or maybe even watched Richard Gene the Fishing Machine on YouTube. He has a video of him fishing for copper nose in a large private lake......you can see automatic feeders all along the bank. But compare the size of the bluegill in his video to the size of the copper nose fishing reports on here from Led Hed. Lake Perris is a public lake...no feeding going on in there. The bluegill Sonny is catching are bigger than what is coming out of a fed private lake in Alabama. Copper nose love and obviously need the heat.....long growing season....they get that in California. As I mentioned in my post TWRA tried with a stocking in a 300 acre lake and it just did not pan out. I fish a 30 acre private lake that is full of copper nose. They have been in there for years. While there are plenty of them it is not common to catch 10-11 inch fish......lots of 7-8 inch fish. I wish it would work out for our waters but I just don’t see it ever happening.

Regards

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast