Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The way it goes

Post Thanks / Like

Default The way it goes

You know how, sometimes, you don't want to dive in to something because you know it will lead to other things? Well...

Recently, I noticed that after driving awhile, my front right tire would make a god awful noise. I knew it was brake related because it would go away when stepping lightly on it.

Exactly 1 year ago Thursday, I put on new rotors and pads in the front and new drums and shoes in the rear. Yes, drums and shoes.

So, being as humidity was down it was time to tackle the job. I back the truck in, pulled the rear wheels, and cleaned the drums. Shoes were good as the rears were hardly actuating. These new self adjusters don't work like the old ones. 16 clicks on the passenger side, 8 on the drivers side to adjust. That is a lot. Bled the system.

Pulled the right front (known as squealy Dan), then the caliper and hit the brakes. As suspected, only the upper cylinder worked. Which means, after it is pumped a few times, the bottom would extend and not retract.

Off to Napa in Mason. Of course they would only have the driver's side (which I planned to replace). Off to Stockbridge for the passenger side.

Got home used the old hangers, new calipers, and bled the system. Soft pedal. Bled the rear and found massive air in the driver's rear. THEN, as we pull out to test, the check engine light comes on.

On my way to Mason to run diagnostics, I test the brakes. Great stopping, rear is better than ever BUT, the squal is there if only for a second or two. (No, it isn't tie rods or bearings).

Get the diagnostics and I have 4 codes. Bank 1 too lean, bank 1 and 2 too lean. Could be air flow, air flow sensor, or fuel pump. Knowing troubleshooting, I start with the smallest thing. Clear the codes, and change the air filter. Bingo, air flow causing lean burn. Problem solved.

So, after ice cream, we take squeally Dan home for what I "think" is tge solution. You see, the pads were good and I kept the old hangers BUT I never bothered to change the clips! The pads were not sliding correctly and one of the spring arms was NOT pushing tge pad away drom tge rotor when tge cylinder retracts. Put the new clips on and all is good!

I set out to solve a squeaky wheel and would up adjusting and cleaning the rear brakes, bleeding the lines 3 times, buying two new calipers, changing clips, diagnosing a check engine light, and changing an air filter. All so I can pull my boat.

Oh, because this is a fishing forum, we fished yesterday and brought home 24 walleye in a shade over 5 hours!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"
    Likes Redge, OneidaEagle, "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My phone likes tge instead of THE.
    Likes "G", OneidaEagle LIKED above post

Slabprowler is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good thing is you got er all fixed up and want have to worrie about your breaks for a good while! Awesome on the eyes! Sure wished we had them like that down this way!

Post Thanks / Like

Been there, done that. Glad you got it fixed. Were you on Erie or Saginaw?
    The older I get the more I realize the therapeutic benefits of fishing
    Proud member of Michigan chapter "Team Overalls"
    Worlds proudest grandpa x6

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got the brakes fixed. Awesome job on the eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Cranks or crawlers?

Your first sentence that it will lead to other things......seems like that’s tge way it goes here too.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com
    2017 MiCDC fall crappie guide of the year (FCGOTY)
    Member: “Michigan chapter of Team Overalls
    Haulin Ash Fishing Rocks-"D"
    Caution: If we fish together, you may be on YouTube

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, we have ways of making you talk. Like Judys banana bread and kingfish dip.

Post Thanks / Like

Saginaw.
    Early is was firetiger cranks back 50. When the fish moved down, back 100 was good. I never use green so that was odd.

Down rods with 3oz bottom bouncers running meat and 2oz bouncers back 50 with meat was good. Pearl blades out produced all others. Easter egg, orange wonderbread, and coleslaw.

18.6 to 19.2 is the depth they hit best at. Found and active pod and stuck with them. 1.6 speed with the wind and 1.1 into the wind worked the baits best.

Lots of small fish. Almost wanted to run to houghton lake for better quality.

I did test a new Rapala battery opperated fillet knife. Worked good but I don't like the trigger safety. I feel bad because I've always done it by hand and consider myself to be really good with a fillet knife. It was easier however, slightly quicker, and way less skin residue and dirty meat on the fillet. More testing to come

Post Thanks / Like

I've had the electric knives with a safety button you had to slide every time you wanted to pull the trigger. Needless to say, I reengineered them right away

"D" is offline Super Moderator and 2023 Crappie.Com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I gave away a rapala battery knife for that reason. The fish I cleaned up there was the first fish I've cleaned with a hand knife in years. Oh, and why did you name the brake "DAN".
    Team Overalls Travel Squad

FISH for LIFE

HUMANKIND......be both

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast