HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Change up- Blue Gills today.

cevans is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorjoe View Post
    Cevans, what lake were you fishing?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    West Boggs. This morning got on the lake at 6:30 am and went to a spot and every time I hit a spot would only catch 1 or 2 and they would shut down and by 9 it was all over. Everbody fishing including me wasnt catching anything. I ended up with 9 and pulled out at noon. I have never seen a lake like WB just totally shut down and it does quite a bit. Hate this lake but it has big gills and red ears and they wont last long as I saw several boats with 2 adults and 4-5 teenagers in each—-amish. I will fish it a couple more times this week and that is is for me. You can have it. This lake really is getting hammered too by the fishing pressure.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    authorized by: Billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    West Boggs. This morning got on the lake at 6:30 am and went to a spot and every time I hit a spot would only catch 1 or 2 and they would shut down and by 9 it was all over. Everbody fishing including me wasnt catching anything. I ended up with 9 and pulled out at noon. I have never seen a lake like WB just totally shut down and it does quite a bit. Hate this lake but it has big gills and red ears and they wont last long as I saw several boats with 2 adults and 4-5 teenagers in each—-amish. I will fish it a couple more times this week and that is is for me. You can have it. This lake really is getting hammered too by the fishing pressure.
    I hate this. Its becoming more and more of a problem.
    They hunt out of season here and kill way more than everyone else is allowed. And prolly no licenses. They should not be exempt to the rules and laws we have to follow if they are gonna fish our public waters.
    Likes Billbob LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice gills!

Quote Originally Posted by INDyak View Post
    I hate this. Its becoming more and more of a problem.
    They hunt out of season here and kill way more than everyone else is allowed. And prolly no licenses. They should not be exempt to the rules and laws we have to follow if they are gonna fish our public waters.

I'm pretty positive they are not exempt- I'd be shocked to hear that they were.

If you know they are hunting out of season, then you know what to do. Call the tip line, they take it seriously.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t see them hunting out of season. What I do see is, if it’s brown it’s down. No matter the size during deer season. As far as fishing, if it’s caught, it’s kept. But, there is a ton of fishermen that have the same attitude no matter color, race, or religion if any. There are also a lot of law biding amish that follow the rules too. All it takes is one apple to spoil the whole barrel as the old saying goes. Trouble with a lot of amish is its a family affair when they hunt or fish a lot of times. I see them unload a entire van and 4 door doolie into a patch of state woods and canvas it to deer hunt and when the hunt is over with, everything is run into the next county if not down. Same goes for fishing certain lakes as they get really hard hit. But, the resources are there for the taking by any of us so in a way, we are as guilty. I take a,couple of deer a season to eat. I used to fill the every tag I possessed. I put fish in the freezer to eat all year. I have a few friends that don’t fish and love to eat them as well as a couple of friends that used to fish and don’t get out as much as I do that I also give a meal or two to them. But I never waste a resource that we have before us. Nothing like a meal of deer loin and crappie! I want to hit the gills one more time, then,make it hard on myself by hitting Monroe and other lakes.
    Last edited by cevans; 05-20-2018 at 11:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Its definitely not limited to any one group, there are lots of people who don't follow laws and ethics.

There does seem to be a degree of "its our right" type attitude with some. I told myself a year or two ago when Indiana allowed 300WM's for deer season I'd go into business making earmuffs for horses lol.

So to target the gills you just spotted beds on SI? Any tips on locations that bluegill nest in? Depth, bottom type?

I'm still wanting to hit lake summit soon for perch, its supposed to be a good bluegill lake. I have little idea of how to target perch specifically so turning to crappie or bluegills would be a good backup plan.

Post Thanks / Like

So to target the gills you just spotted beds on SI? Any tips on locations that bluegill nest in? Depth, bottom type?

here is a blow up of what blue gill beds look like even tho it’s alittle grainie and you can see them in their beds.
    http://www.crappie.com/crappie/fishi.../374440-helix/

put your boat into 8-12 ft of water or so and SI set out to 60 ft on flats and long shallow points and you will find them searching at a couple of mph. Maybe depending on the lake in front of structure or weeds. Most of the beds I am finding are in 4-8 ft of water all by theirselves and been spot locking off of them using crickets about a ft above the beds. You can also slow drag a jig in/out of the beds or just above them.

Likes Slabprowler LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Amish are no more exempt then you or me, a lot of Amish around here and they pretty much obey all the laws.. they do do deer drives a lot with 10-12 guys but its legal to do so..we have more red necks around here who think the deer belong to them and they can hunt/kill them whenever they want, poaching/road hunting is really bad.

[QUOTE=binfordw;3637434]Nice gills!

I'm pretty positive they are not exempt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12