HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walleye Channel

Post Thanks / Like

Great topic, I'm going to follow this closely

With my Gun lake Saturday and Sunday fish report I caught a big ZERO

I did get to play around with my TM and see how will it was in Saturday's wind, spot lock worked great, Sunday with no wind it would dance around couple feet , I have the ipiolit link and the touch screen remote is junk,keep bumping the screen and changing things

Post Thanks / Like

OE

I'll keep score with you.. But only if we're bluegill fishing. I seem to know how to catch those.
    The older I get the more I realize the therapeutic benefits of fishing
    Proud member of Michigan chapter "Team Overalls"
    Worlds proudest grandpa x6

Post Thanks / Like

Every Dog finds a bone now and then.

I was that Dog on that particular day.
    Custom Rods: Out-Snagging Berkly's 7-2 Since 2019 / Custom Rods: Collecting more dust that Berkley due to Covid Since 2020
    Custom Rods: Not afraid to show, in 2021

Post Thanks / Like

Jimmy,

If you could (As well as Kevin) please come up with a post in regards to what you see as the differences between the Xi5 and the MinnKota. What you like about each and what you do not like. This is quality information coming from guys that have experience with both platforms.

Also, if you get a chance, maybe come up with something about the differnces (as you see it) between Lowrance and Hummingbird. Many guys (myself included) get caught with one particular module and don't want to change. Having someone that was willing to change is valuable information that we need to tap in to.

For me, I have been a Lowrance fan for awhile. There were some things I did not like about the Hummingbird. The problem is that I am also a MinnKota fan (outside of spot lock). So, I'm in a catch 22 as I am sure you were last year and this year. Obviously, you were a Lowrance guy so maybe you purchased the Xi5 because of their ability to link up (last years boat). If so, was there things you like or dislike about the motor? About how it interfaces with the Lowrance?

There must have been a reason why you went back to MinnKota this year? If so, did that sway you to go to a hummingbird because you liked the idea of being able to use the Link features? What do you like about it? What do you not like about it.

I'm curious as it is not often we get someone that has experience in two different trolling motor platforms linked with two different sonar platforms!

Worthy information in my book.
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to suggest that this thread also include information for guys like me who can't, or choose not to, fish the big water. I, personally, don't feel comfortable going on Erie or Saginaw in my 16' Sylvan, don't have the gear for pulling cranks or cash to buy all the latest electronics but still like catching walleye. I'm stuck with jigging the Detroit and Saginaw if I want to catch numbers of walleye. Input on where and how to target them on inland lakes would be helpful. I have chased them through the ice, but not on open water much so any information would be great.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wicklundrh View Post
    Jimmy,

If you could (As well as Kevin) please come up with a post in regards to what you see as the differences between the Xi5 and the MinnKota. What you like about each and what you do not like. This is quality information coming from guys that have experience with both platforms.

Also, if you get a chance, maybe come up with something about the differnces (as you see it) between Lowrance and Hummingbird. Many guys (myself included) get caught with one particular module and don't want to change. Having someone that was willing to change is valuable information that we need to tap in to.

For me, I have been a Lowrance fan for awhile. There were some things I did not like about the Hummingbird. The problem is that I am also a MinnKota fan (outside of spot lock). So, I'm in a catch 22 as I am sure you were last year and this year. Obviously, you were a Lowrance guy so maybe you purchased the Xi5 because of their ability to link up (last years boat). If so, was there things you like or dislike about the motor? About how it interfaces with the Lowrance?

There must have been a reason why you went back to MinnKota this year? If so, did that sway you to go to a hummingbird because you liked the idea of being able to use the Link features? What do you like about it? What do you not like about it.

I'm curious as it is not often we get someone that has experience in two different trolling motor platforms linked with two different sonar platforms!

Worthy information in my book.
    I plan on doing that only after i get some more time behind the wheel

I will comment on why i went to MK, I only did this as it was part of my boat package, i could of went to MG but there was a upcharge and with everyone was saying how well the spot lock worked and with the lift assist and better remote it was worth a try . I did consider if i did really like this TM i would go to Hummingbird so i could network my electronics together, dont think thats the case anymore i also am a life long Lowrance user.

I will comment one decision i wish i didn't go with is the Ipilot Link, the remote that comes with this TM is a touch remote and my 1st thought this well work nice as i like my touch FF, well im finding out im always bumping the screen when im grabbing it and change settings, i feel the buttons should be on the bottom .I tried buying the standard remote and it will not work if you have a link TM, the only other remote that i could use is the micro remote but you would give up to many button selections

The new bluetooth TM has two trolling modes, Advance and legacy, from my understanding the advance feature is sort of how MG worked it lays out a GPS track and it follows it no matter what weather conditions are like, Kevin mentioned how his MG would give him issues and i believe this is how the MK Advance operates, don't have enough time to really comment yet but im finding the Legacy mode is better, this is the original circled N function MK always had just renamed

Picture of my remote, i can set the screen to rotate 180 degrees however the soft buttons are upside down and when turning right, well you know what happens
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spartannation View Post
    I would like to suggest that this thread also include information for guys like me who can't, or choose not to, fish the big water. I, personally, don't feel comfortable going on Erie or Saginaw in my 16' Sylvan, don't have the gear for pulling cranks or cash to buy all the latest electronics but still like catching walleye. I'm stuck with jigging the Detroit and Saginaw if I want to catch numbers of walleye. Input on where and how to target them on inland lakes would be helpful. I have chased them through the ice, but not on open water much so any information would be great.
    I been on Saginaw Bay and lake Erie many many times and never had any issues with my old 16 ' Sea Nymph, you just need to watch the weather really close, i use most of the weather apps Rich posted , On Saginaw any wind up towards 10 mph i was off the water, sure wish i had a smooth move seat back then.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jimmy. I look forward to hearing and learning more. The two features of the remote are exactly the same as the old system (just renamed).

The old system had GPS mode (N with the Circle) and compass mode (N without the circle). I ALWAYS use compass mode. The GPS mode isn't a gid fit when trolling into and against the wind as it points you at a fixed point. As the wind moves the boat from left to right, the bow continues to point at that fixed location. Compass mode allows you to point at a compass heading. If the wind moves you left and right, the boat is still pointed at that compass heading.

Jerry,
    As we get more into this, I can give a ton of different ideas relating to finding walleye in inland lakes, rivers, and streams. Heck, with your experience, you might be able to give all of us a few good tips, tricks, and tactics!
    I have OCD "Obsessive Crappie Disorder"

Post Thanks / Like

I've caught more through the ice than i have open water. We fished Houghton and Missaukee quite a bit on hard water with OK success but most open water walleye on inland lakes have been incidental catches. I'm better at panfish.

I did make a trip to the mighty Detroit today. The weather was beautiful and the wind wasn't bad until 11:00 and the boat traffic was almost non existent. We were fishing by 7:45 and had a three man limit by 9. All were small males 16"-19". We stuck around till 1:00 playing catch and release and trying different spots and boated another 20-25 of the same sized fish. The bite slowed down when the wind picked up. Sure was a nice day to be on the water.
    Likes ready2fish, "D" LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Jimmy and I have had a few conversation about the differences between the Xi5 and terrova. The biggest was the anchor/spot lock feature, the xi5 was hands down the best at keeping lock on the gps waypoint, it drifted some,but always corrected itself in small increments, the terrova (pre 2017 model) drifted too, much more than the xi5, but would correct with so much speed at times would over shoot the mark or if you're not paying attention could almost get thrown overboard.
    I can't speak to the new model terrova but like jimmy said so far the spot lock is much better than the older model, another feature that I consider a must have is the jog feature, which is used in conjunction with the anchor lock. So when in anchor mode you can reposition the boat in 5 foot increments forward, backward or side to side , this is fantastic when fishing structures -casting , vertical jigging or bobber fishing. The one down side to the xi5 is the remote, it doesn't have a display, only way to know what mode or speed your in is to have the unit linked to a lowrance head unit, then it will display said
    The next difference would be while trolling, terrova has the edge. They both work the same when not in a specific mode- point in a direction adjust speed..... but when you activate the heading lock on the xi5, the unit lays down a trail of waypoints for the unit to follow, this works great until you get a good cross wind.... then get ready for some tangled lines. The unit will follow the waypoints until you readjust to a new direction, which gets annoying really quick when the wind is blowing there's a thousand boats in the way and you have triple going. On the other hand the terrova is the best in that regard, you have the option to set the unit up with waypoints or a compass direction to guide the unit. The compass setting works great for steering the boat while trolling, not a lot of adjusting while in this mode, more time to just relax and watch boards go back.
    My final thoughts goes, the xi5 and the terrova both are great bow mount motors, if only this were a perfect world there would only be one motor and it would probably be called a Xrrova. So I think it boils down to fishing style, for me I went with the xi5 because of the anchor lock but man do I miss the compass setting while trolling , so I'll be waiting for more information from jimmy on the new terrova to see if a perfect world motor purchase will be on my boat soon

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    get in, sit down, shut up and fish
    Likes ready2fish, wicklundrh LIKED above post

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast