HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Inexpensive Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Favorite Inexpensive Rods

Last night while pulling my rods out of my boat I found out that I've broken another rod (that makes 3 this year, I've never broken one prior). Hadn't even caught a fish on the darn thing.

The rod that broke was just a Shakespeare Micro Graphite. I've had one of those for probably 15 years that has proven to be extremely durable, but I guess the quality has gone down. Not sure how it broke, there are no pinch points in the area where my rod holder is.

I have a medium lightning rod that I like quite a bit. Should I grab one of those in light action, or is there anything else worth looking at in that price range?

I like to have two crappie rods, one rigged with a slip float for live bait, and another for jigging. If the new rod is more sensitive, I will use it for jigging and retire my old Shakespeare to float use.

5.5 or 6' rods store best in my boat.
    Last edited by Barnacle Bill; 01-15-2018 at 01:07 PM.
    Likes Jackson87 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I can break any rod with my big feet in the boat. With that said my southern crappie rods, B&m rods, and ht rods have all stood up well under normal usage. I’m sure any length rod from these manufacturers will do fine. Usually in their brick and motor store, grizzly jig always have a box of over inventory rods on sale. Give them a call. However, my best inexpensive rod is the one I use of my buddies.
    Likes BarryG, KnightShadow10, badbull LIKED above post

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to beat ugly stick elite for the price

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Likes Tsnell LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Lews Mr Crappie won't break the bank and are top.quality.

Sent from my XT1565 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Share the outdoors with our Children.The world will be a better place.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone's definition of "Inexpensive" is different and variable. What is your budget like for these rods? In this day and age, with some rods going in excess of $100.00 or more (sometimes a LOT more), it's difficult to find a rod capable of performance, durability and cost effectiveness.

Everything is a compromise, but if your budget can afford about $50.00, then I do not believe you will find a better solution to your search than a B n' M rod. I'm partial to the SHSS model (Sam Heaton Super Sensitive). But there are many rods on the market for a lot less. These rods have not let me down in many seasons of crappie fishing. JMO!
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."
    Likes DRFISHDUCK LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Grizzly Jig Company has a Quantum Teton Trout Rod that I like a lot.
    Worth a look.
    https://www.grizzlyjig.com/p-585-teton-trout-rod.aspx

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

You might take a look at the 6' PowerLite or 5'6" UL ESP rods in the Grizzly Jigs online catalog (pg 31):
    https://www.grizzlyjig.com/skins/ski...es/catalog.pdf

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 5 of the micro series rods and have good service out of them all, and I'm tough on them. I would try again before I went spending more money.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes TerryD LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skeetbum View Post
    I have 5 of the micro series rods and have good service out of them all, and I'm tough on them. I would try again before I went spending more money.
    I have one from 05ish that is still my main jigging rod. I've put the thing through heck and back.

I'm really not even sure how this one got broke. Its been sitting in the rod holder since I bought it.
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 01-16-2018 at 02:07 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have alot of crappie rods (60+) and I have never paid more than $30 for a rod. I like a medium light rod for crappie and the best cheap rod I have found is a Shimano Sojourn 6 footer I found on EBay for $14. The rod was so good that I quickly bought another. The Okuma Celilos is also a great rod for around $25 apiece. I am sure there are more but these are the two that come to mind for me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast