HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Boat Are You Running for Slabs?

Post Thanks / Like

The is another forum tinboats.net that specializes in building out jons.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EWS View Post
    The is another forum tinboats.net that specializes in building out jons.
    I was just about to suggest the same thing. Ton's of aluminum boat tip's projects and info. If you can think of it, someone on there probably has done it.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

silverside is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I always use aluminum jon or modified jon. (except for one). Here's the reason. I spend a lot of time fishing in areas that glass boats would show some unpleasant battle scars. For example, pulling the boat through acres of standing timber and unseen stumps. I have been on large waters with high winds. Even 1/2 mile from a tornado touchdown. Never have questioned the stability. As have others have said... make sure it has enough freeboard.

Post Thanks / Like

My last jon was a 1468 Polar Kraft. I walked around in it all the time, and never thought it was going to tip. I say go for it.
    Likes EWS LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I am going to get the boat here in the next week or two. I had a look at the tinboat website and I think I might do a standing platform extension with a seat mount on it. I think it will be a nice boat for bigger lakes for sure. I live in Oklahoma, at what temps do yall pull your boat out and winterize it? Its about to get colder here and I didn't know when the right time to do it was.

Cray is offline Crappie.com 2019 Man of Year, Supermod & Moderator of the Mechanics Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ethanw08 View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. I think I am going to get the boat here in the next week or two. I had a look at the tinboat website and I think I might do a standing platform extension with a seat mount on it. I think it will be a nice boat for bigger lakes for sure. I live in Oklahoma, at what temps do yall pull your boat out and winterize it? Its about to get colder here and I didn't know when the right time to do it was.
    I'm originally from soute east Oklahoma. Unless you live in the panhandle I see no need to winterize a boat. Winter is some of the best fishing for bigger fish. Just drain water from motor when you put it on trailer.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Charlie Weaver USN/ENC 1965-1979

Post Thanks / Like

I agree go for it, should make a great starter especially with the low hour motor. Main thing for winterizing is tilt the motor down where it will drain an make sure the lower unit has no water. I start storing with the foot down and check for water right before the first freeze and after I take it out in the winter. This only takes a couple minutes if you have your tools close and ready.

Post Thanks / Like

Thata awesome to hear! That should be much easier than what i had anticipated!

Post Thanks / Like

Well I went to look at the boat at my cousins house and it doesnt look quite ad nice as what i remember. The motor only had about 15-20 hrs on it so its new like I said, but thr boat will need some repairs for sure, mostly cosmetic. Here is a picture. After looking at tinboats.net i have been inspired to modify it into a bass boat layout over the winter and be ready early spring! It needs the cosmetic work so i might as well go all out, right? Im not sure how to post pictures on here or i would post up a pic of it tonight.
    Likes CrappieHuntMike LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ethanw08 View Post
    Well I went to look at the boat at my cousins house and it doesnt look quite ad nice as what i remember. The motor only had about 15-20 hrs on it so its new like I said, but thr boat will need some repairs for sure, mostly cosmetic. Here is a picture. After looking at tinboats.net i have been inspired to modify it into a bass boat layout over the winter and be ready early spring! It needs the cosmetic work so i might as well go all out, right? Im not sure how to post pictures on here or i would post up a pic of it tonight.
    Download the cdc mobile app and you should have no problems

Sent from my LGL164VL using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast