HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fish Tacos from the Grill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fish Tacos from the Grill

Catching a nice mess of panfish is only the beginning. For most of us the end result of our passion is the satisfaction of a meal that we coaxed from Mother Nature. As far back as I can remember most if not all of the legal fish my family caught were destined for the freezer and subsequently the table. I have continued that tradition for my family and take great pride in preparing meals of bluegill and Crappie on a regular basis. We try to have fish at least once a week, rotating between fried, baked, and grilled for fish tacos. For the fried I use the traditional corn meal and flour breading and prepare onion rings or hush puppies with coleslaw as the sides. The baked recipe over the years has varied but we have settled on the recipe found right here on Crappie.com of Parmesan Panko Baked Crappie. For the Grilled Fish Tacos I have photographed the steps of preparation and would like to share them here.

Step 1 Catch a mess of Crappie. Name:  IMG_0776.jpg
Views: 3900
Size:  95.6 KB
    Last week I went to my local lake and caught a nice limit of 10-12 inch Crappie.

Step 2. Take about 8-10 fillets, cover them with melted butter then sprinkle liberally with a fish taco seasoning.Name:  IMG_0663.jpg
Views: 3550
Size:  70.3 KB

Step 3. Make a Chipotle Ranch sauce, this is what I had on hand. Name:  IMG_0662.jpg
Views: 3489
Size:  120.1 KB. Then fire up the charcoal grill and throw on a couple ears of corn(rubbed down with olive oil and seasoned with chili powder) to get a head start and get the cast iron griddle heated up. Name:  IMG_0665.jpg
Views: 3524
Size:  115.7 KB

Step 4. Once the corn cooks for about 10 minutes indirect move it directly over the hot coals and give it a little char. Put the seasoned fish on the extremely hot griddle and grill for about 3 minutes on each side, longer for thicker fillets, shorter times for smaller bluegill fillets, flipping only once. The fish will cook very fast and will blacken/smoke on the hot griddle. Name:  IMG_0668.jpg
Views: 3603
Size:  58.1 KB

Step 5. Prepare Taco fillings. I cut the grilled corn off the cob, purchase fresh pico de gallo , shred pepper jack or Monterrey Jack cheese, and slice a nice ripe avocado. Name:  IMG_0670.jpg
Views: 3395
Size:  82.6 KB

Step 6. Toast some small fajita flour tortillas. I usually throw them on the grill and heat them through but the induction cooker heats a cast iron skillet up almost instantly and I can take them straight from the pan and load them while they are still hot. Name:  IMG_0671.jpg
Views: 3516
Size:  67.6 KB

Step 7. Load Tacos. Chipotle Ranch and avocado slices on one side, cheese and fish on the other side. Name:  IMG_0673.jpg
Views: 3602
Size:  78.0 KB. Load them into Taco stands and finish filling with grilled corn and pico de gallo. I usually add more Ranch and cheese then top off with some tri-colored tortilla strips. Through the week my side dish is usually just the remainder of the grilled corn and avocado slices. On the weekend I may prepare a more traditional rice or refried bean side dish. Name:  IMG_0674.jpg
Views: 3576
Size:  121.7 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Post Thanks / Like

looks mighty fine,I'll give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good I'm going to have to try that.

Sent from my iPhone using Crappie.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, great recipe and report. Thank you so much for sharing.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Man that looks great!! I have made them many times but never on the grill. Guess what i'm trying tomorrow night? after fishing of course. thanks for sharing!
    Time spent on the water is not deducted from one's lifespan.
    Likes CrappieHuntMike LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, man, do those look good!
    Yes, I was talking to myself; sometimes even I have to ask for expert advice.

Brimfisher is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Man. I love fish tacos. Those eight there look incredible.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app
    Create Memories Worth Repeating, Go Fishing With Your Dad.
    www.brimfisherjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

I tried it last night, Great!!

Post Thanks / Like

Very well done indeed .
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that a special griddle for using on the grill? I have been searching for a way to blacken them on tye grill, buy they usually stick really bad.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Crappie.com Fishing mobile app

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast