HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 343 of 389 FirstFirst ... 243293333340341342343344345346353 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,430 of 3888

Thread: Lake Eufaula archives

Post Thanks / Like

Fish Eufaula a few times and it's a BIG LAKE. I fish Kaw most of the time and have to remember their #1 concern is flood control not fishing. Seems like up here we have a good year every 2 or 3 years. Don't think the crappie populations are down anywhere we just have good and bad years. When we get heavy rain like last year, it's gonna make for a tough year with water levels constantly changing. There is more crappie fishermen now than ever before but not all catch a limit every day. Gotta respect guys like Ranger and Eufaula Boy that can go catch them consistently. Hopefully we have good spring weather and everyone can catch fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I will also not lock this thread but will delete posts if it gets out of hand.

Here are my 2 cents worth.

If you know who Eufaula Boy is, you would know he is a guide. The years he is talking about he guided probably a minimum of 100 days a year or more. He also guided 2 or 3 people in his boat at a time that were paying and wanting to take fish home. So by my MATH MAJOR calculations that is 5700/100 = 57 per day, divide that by 3 and you get 19 each. I know Brian and he doesn't waste fish.

Second point I have been in a boat with Eufaula Boy (Brian), Ranger09 (Mark), and JD when it was 28 degrees and snowing, putting out structure, yes we got approval. I have also been with them when it was 100 degrees putting out structure so to say they or we take and don't give back is just being uninformed.

Thirdly, if you think that releasing crappie means that they will live for years you are also misinformed. Crappie have a very short lifespan compared to a lot of fish. That is the reason a bad spawn over one or two years can really affect a lakes numbers. But when there are good spawns the lake will bounce back quickly. In my opinion the quality of the spawn is the MOST important factor. There is usually a 3-4 year lag for fisherman to see that. If it was a great spawn they will see the effect 3-4 years later, same for a bad spawn.

I will give you an example on my home lake Oologah. For 3 winters in a row starting in about 2009 the crappie fishing was lights out then for 2 winters in a row it was terrible. My logic is we didn't have a very good spawn during the years 2009 and 2010. Last year and this year have been awesome. As a matter of fact last year we had several days where 2 of us caught 150-200 crappie a day and would be able to keep only 30-40 over 10 inches. Most of the crappie we were catching were 9-9 1/2 inches and we threw them back. I told my buddies those were 2 1/2 year old coming 3 year old crappie. This year we have caught a ton of 12-12 1/2 inch fish that I believe are the crappie we released last year. We also catch an occasional 3 inch crappie that I think was spawned in 2015, some 6-7 inch crappie that I think were spawned in 2014, numerous 9 inch fish that I think were spawned in 2013. I am convinced by my catches this year we had at least 3 years in a row of excellent spawns on Oologah.

I guess in summary before you point too many fingers, most of this forum has come to find out, these are good guys and they don't abuse our resources. They usually are also the first to let you know how to improve your fishing success . So please get to know as many of us as possible. Like Craig stated earlier, I too enjoy not having to drag a boat all over the state to fish, not to mention getting to fish spots that would take me hours to discover even with today's technology. Over 90% of the folks on here I did not know until I joined. I now have fished several new lakes and have shared a boat with many who I now consider friends.

Odie
    Common sense isn't always that common!

Post Thanks / Like

we have a lot of good people that post on this board and also give out a lot of good information.If it wasn't for a couple guys on this board some of us would spend all day trying to pattern fish with bad results.Speaking for myself im sure glad that I can look on here and get info or just call EB or Ranger either one and they will tell you where and how to catch them.I know they both work hard at it and it shows.I have fished with EB a lot and seen him throw back more than keep when he is just fishing for fun.i appreciate the quality info of the people on here and if im headed to a lake that im not familiar with ill be looking here for advice.thanks EB and Ranger,you guiding suckers lol.also the guys that guide sometimes are introducing fishing to a lot of people including youths that don't know much about crappie fishing and bringing a lot of enjoyment to there lives.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually only read and don't talk, mostly because I don't like typing, but also because there are people on here that are so much better fishermen than me (i.e. EB and Ranger) and I just enjoy learning from what they write. But, I would like to point out that those guys are professional guides, they not only pay for a fishing license every year or have purchased a lifetime license, but they also pay an additional $90 to the state for the guide license. Oklahoma wildlife department uses money from all the licenses they sell to fund conservation projects (like stocking fish in areas that need it), among other things...
    License
    We gripe about having to pay the extra $25 tax so we can fish, and these guys not only have to pay that, but then they pay another tax of almost $100, which by my calculations is about 500% more than what the people complaining about the 5700 fish pay. Not to mention the reality side of what they do for a little boy whose dad don't get to fish much because he works all the time so he hires a professional to make sure he and his boy have a day that is memorial when they get to go fishing. Are you mad because someone is good enough to catch 50 or 60 every time they go out, or are you mad because you're not? Thank you EB, Ranger, Stink and all you guys who always post good information and don't even know that you are helping guys like me.
    Last edited by Soonergary; 03-15-2016 at 12:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

So um... not to get this thread off track or anything but.. I've been fishing the docks in Longtown #9 area this week with little luck. My boat slips are brushed out pretty well but I've only caught 3-5 fish on any day if I'm lucky and they have all been real small... I hope some of that southern lake action moves up to me real soon. my freezer is empty well maybe this post actually gets it back on track

Post Thanks / Like

I went out Saturday evening and caught a few around gentry creek area 5 fow about 18" deep. Almost all of them were about 10". Hope this helps. God bless.
    Likes Ranger09, cpd21 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Went out this morning caught 10 good ones in 2 ft of water color was punkin/ chartreuse wading tripped an fell got wet came home nurse my wounds try to go back later. Fishing north end

Post Thanks / Like

On crappie guides and populations --- I fish both eufaula and oologah on a regular basis have not hired the guides but have met Todd and Barry both on eufaula both have been a big influence on the way I fish and baits I use very seldom do I have a limit but always have enough for a supper or 2, have talked to both they are always willing to help,at either lake the fish are there sometimes the bite is slow even for the guides but they are willing to put the time in to check some different structure or another drop off ,one reason they consistently catch fish , thanks to all the fisherman and guides for the information that is passed on -- my saying is if you feel the Thump set the hook if not set it anyway it may be a 3 lb slab -- fish on and God bless

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guides

My sons hired EB to guide me a few years ago for fathers day ! I have never had so much fun fishing in my life ! THANKS Brian

Post Thanks / Like

Wife and I fished Gentry creek Saturday for 2 hours , never fished it before so started shallow and caught 1 dink in 4 ft of water , put the electronics to work and found shad in 18 ft dow and double dipped 3 in beavertails black/chart at 10 to 12 foot and wound up with 6 nice slabs up to 1.89 lbs , left okc at 1:00 , didn't get on the water until 4:00 , with a little input from people like Brian and Mark and the rest of CDC helps a ton , keep up the good reports and I'll keep driving my gas guzzling 8 mpg truck 2 1/2 hours to feel that thump !! P.S one of these days im gonna have to hire one of you so my wife knows what a limit is .