Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpal tunnel and fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carpal tunnel and fishing?

Anyone one on here ever have carpal tunnel issues? Im wondering how long it would take to be in fishing shape after surgury if I were to go that route . I was scheduled for surgury tomorow feb 11 th and since sunday its felt much better all of the sudden so I cancelled it . Its minor right now so I'm considering other options ,been wearing wrist brace .

Post Thanks / Like

hey wally, i don't know about carpel tunnel, but i held off getting gaul bladder surgery until it hit me real good last april....ruined just about my whole summer, so if you are feeling good now, it may come back and haunt you during prime time fishing and crabbing season....good luck buddy

Post Thanks / Like

It comes and goes for me for about 15 years in my right hand.. ice it down and avoid using tools like hammers. If if gets really bad trigger finger will occur. It has for me a few times but rest and ice seemed to slowly fix it. I now use my mouse on the left hand and switch all day long between spin and baitcasters.

Capt Mike

Post Thanks / Like

I have it a little, undiagnosed but feels exactly as described. I work behind a computer quite a bit and also swing a hammer daily. For the last year after a long fishing trip my hand will be really bad. Its strange that its my reeling hand not the hammering hand that goes bad. I tend to let things go for a while so would choose to use the wrist band and massage that hand and wrist daily. At least thats how I handle it when it flares up. Its funny, you reach 50 and these things pop up out of nowhere.
    Likes g6463 LIKED above post

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    I have it a little, undiagnosed but feels exactly as described. I work behind a computer quite a bit and also swing a hammer daily. For the last year after a long fishing trip my hand will be really bad. Its strange that its my reeling hand not the hammering hand that goes bad. I tend to let things go for a while so would choose to use the wrist band and massage that hand and wrist daily. At least thats how I handle it when it flares up. Its funny, you reach 50 and these things pop up out of nowhere.
    wait till 60 !

Post Thanks / Like

I have had tennis elbow (bruceitis) first on left elbow one year later in right elbow. I believe it was due to cold weather fising. I used the elbow braces for almost one year. It helped me to also change my usage of computer mouse to the other side which helped it heal much faster. I never had diagonosed carpal tunnel but suspected it, that pain too decreased after mouse usage changes. Good luck to you.

Post Thanks / Like

The burning and tingling at night that wakes you out of dead sleep is what made my go to dr about but that has subsided . I ve read where the surgury which is cutting the tendon can weaken your wrist . Mine is on my left hand and Im right handed but I reel with left hand . Ive been on the water and pipe fitting all my life so my hands have got a workout . I think Im going to try not to have surgury unless the night burning comes back maybe try chiropractor too I hear they can help with it too .I had the electro testing done said I was 4 out of 6 pinched off at that time but that was back on dec 23 I feel much better since then . As far as fishing goes we got 68 crappie 29 good ones and 15 yellow perch on sunday .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    Oh no I turn 50 in september of this year is it gonna get worse ?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no I turn 50 in september of this year is it gonna get worse
    haha, maybe in your case 50 will be the cure.

Great catch on Sunday, I did relatively bad, only 30 crappie, a bass, a pickerel and a perch. I can never seem to get on big ones consistently, 29 nice ones would be a spring time catch for me, never the winter. Let me ask you, are you on the main river behind a current block? Are you in a more protcted spot? You know the river I fish, have you found "my" river to hold fewer big ones than the river you are fishing? The average fish for me is between 7 and 8 inches, I have chosen 9 inches to be my minimum size. Even that is too small for me but if I raised it to 10 I would be lucky to get one or two keepers a trip. That said where I fish i could get 20-30 7-8 inch fish each time out.

Post Thanks / Like

We have crappie fished 7 locations this winter 4 tidal 3 non tidal size about the same on any given day if we are into all smalls we just move around and hope to find some good ones sometimes we do sometimes we dont . We always try to hit spots we ve done good at in years past sometimes on a slow Ill say to myself lets try that spot me and dad got em years ago it works sometimes and sometimes we try something totally new with mixed results . Your river is pretty hard to beat.I work all over from Chestertown down to VA. and keep rods in the truck and sometimes pull the boat with me and try spots after work and fished with my dad alot all over so we have some spots to chose from .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast