Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you a Pusher?

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are you a Pusher?

I have become one this season. Yes. I'm pushing already. Let me tell you how it happened. Last Wednesday I looked for fish from 9 til 12 and had one small green fish for my efforts. I decided to go upriver to continue the search. I marked a school, probably White Bass but they stretch the line, when a friend went by and we hollered our hello's. He told me there were plenty up ahead in about 14 to 18 fow. Off I went. That was about noon. The day was tough on us jig fishermen and the spider rig wasn't working very well when I had the thought " That's the depth that I usually pull cranks at". Changed the rig around and over the next 30 minutes I was pulling 6 rods. Had my limit and headed home at 3. Now I had and idea to put the stiffer rods and trolling sinkers in the boat for the next trip. Friday I finished work early and headed home and pretty much ran to the lake. The wind was from the west and at least 15 and gusting 10 or more than that. Dropped the lines and being my first time pushing out the front I had to get the depth right, no line counter reels. I didn't get the 4 rods out and boated the first fish. The wind was stiff enough (pushing the bass boat at 1.5 to 1.7 mph with no TM) that I didn't get to fish where I wanted but did get 13 before I ran out of time and had to go. That's 13 good keepers over 11 and not counting the stripe and gill that came to visit. The best part of that was that all the fish were caught on cranks that I painted over the winter, and black produced more that I ever thought it would. Friday evening a storm came through and I hoped it would change the wind situation. It did. It turned it around from the east, no decrease in intensity. Off I went, bouncing like a cork among the occasional whitecap with the rods that I had figured out the day before. Once again, first fish before the rods all got out. 2 hours and 40 minutes later I pulled the boat having had 17 solid keepers released, the last 6 in about as many minutes when I blew past a brushpile. What I like about the pushing over the longline is the maneuverability. When turning you don't need a half a football field, just , just make sure you don't drag them into the TM and turn right around and go through that good area you just finished.A big difference for me, especially when alone in the boat. Helped several folks get on their trailers before I could get my trailer to the ramp and looked up to find a gent that I guess was in his seventies and looking worn out. He had been out in all that wind since 7 or 8 that morning in all that wind in a 16' aluminum rig by himself. It was after 3 and he had 2 fish for his efforts. I got his keys and got his trailer and helped him get to the parking lot. I had to help him get out of the boat, he was so tired. Thanking me we talked for a couple of minutes and he went on his way. The reason I bring him up is his condition when he finished for the day. Had anything bad happened in those windy conditions, the water just over 60 and whitecapping going straight into the ramp we were loading at he could have had a real bad time of it. It was busy and lots of boats leaving their wake and so on. Please read the conditions and when act accordingly and keep your safety, not your stringer as your first priority. I'll finish wishing everyone a good season and a big stringer, there's lots of fish being caught. Here's a few from Fridays trip, the one over 14. My cranks in the mouth of the others. GO GET YOU SOME!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Good report. Nice fish. And nice of you to help an old fisherman out.
    Likes Specklocker LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Also very pretty cranks.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice work I'm ready to do some pushing thanks for posting

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

There will always be at least one black crankbait on my lines when I'm pulling.

Good read.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff
    Likes blueball LIKED above post

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

For the reason Tim stated is why I don't stay on the water for long stretches of time. I never know just how tired I am until I get out of the boat and move about.

Good reporting Tim.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"
    Likes RWiske LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

That is the way you pushers are trying to get other's addicted. Now I am wanting to know how much weight you were using to keep your lure's down and how much line or whatever was between weight and lure. That is a great post Skeetbum thanks for sharing the information and pictures.
    Be safe and good luck fishing
    Likes RWiske LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scrat View Post
    That is the way you pushers are trying to get other's addicted. Now I am wanting to know how much weight you were using to keep your lure's down and how much line or whatever was between weight and lure. That is a great post Skeetbum thanks for sharing the information and pictures.
    Don't know how Skeet does it, Scrat ... but, the guys I know use 2oz trolling weights and 5' of 6lb mono leader between the weight & crank. The times I've done it, letting out 45' of line with this setup has put my cranks down around the 12-15ft depth.
    That depth spread is because I was using their equipment ... one time being 7' rods pointing up and the other time 13' rods pointing out/down, but both times the reel was a line counter filled with heavy braid to the trolling weight. Trolling speed was usually maintained at 1.8mph as often as possible. These guys use 13-20' rods, so the loss of a crank (w/6# line) is far cheaper than the breaking of a rod ... because these guys do not stop for a hung up crank or the occasional large fish of another species.

... cp
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm different on several counts. I use 9' and 11' stiff rods out front, the long one 45* from the holder and the 9' is 90*. 12' would be better than the 11 but they are what I bought. In the rear seat today my guest used 12' west point rods out 90* and 7' medium action BC rods back about 20* from those. I use a 3 way swivel on the braid from the reel with a split ring and duo lock snap on the one leg and 3' of 10lb clear mono leader with duo locks on both ends to simplify changing whatever is needed. My cranks have lighter split rings on the hooks so that if they get hung I can lean on the braid and heavier leader and straighten the ring and save the crank. I'm cheap like that. I do best between 1 and 1.7 and like to see 1.3 or 1.4 when I'm cruising looking for fish. Faster rarely generates more strikes for me.Our water has some color. The weight I use is a 2oz trolling weight and is clipped onto the 3 way. This allows them to be removed when storing rods making it so much easier. I don't have any rods over 12' so I don't have any lines out the front of the boat. That might be a plus if and when I get any 16' rods. I mark my braid with a magic marker starting at 10' every 2 feet and let out line accordingly to get back to the magic depth. Sorry to feed the fire but I just pass it on as was done for me. Kind of slow today but still took a limit for my guest. Tight lines Y'all........Skeet.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around
    Likes scrat LIKED above post

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It's all good, Skeet !! Just goes to show that there's not really any one "best" way of doing things, or "best" things to do it with. As long as it works for you/whomever ... then more power to you is my mantra.

... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast