Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comn’ Cali Crappie guys, there is no need to be shy!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Comn’ Cali Crappie guys, there is no need to be shy!

Now, now, I’m nearing my 40’s and fished Crappie in Nor Cal most my life. I know there are a lot of dedicated crappie anglers in California so lets talk and share ideas. I have spent a few summers chasing crappies in the Midwest and the crappies here seem to migrate a little differently. Anyways, we’ve probably crossed each other on the water and even said hello. In my experiences, crappie anglers are the best because we don’t have to deal with “fish on, so reel your line or I’ll fight you!” You California guys know what I mean.
    Here are the waters I have personally pulled crappies out of in the past 3 years and my opinion of them:
    San Luis Reservoir: Big crappies but have to find them.
    Don Predro Reservoir: Big crappies and an abundant of them.
    New Melones Lake: Big crappies and an abundant of them.
    New Hogan Lake: Sad lake for crappies. DFG stock stripers and they have overtaken the lake. If you do catch a crappie, I assure you it will be a 2 pounder. I pulled three out on the northeast coves 05/2013. All were 14-15” and that was the day.
    Camanche Reservoir: Average size and an abundant of them. Just got to know where to look.
    Pardee Reservoir: Small to average size and not many. Live minnows or baits not allowed.
    Lake Amador: Ridiculously expensive entrance. Lots of hybrid stock trout’s. Some average size crappies.
    Discovery Bay and all the sloughs from Rio Vista to Sacramento: Lots of crappies, some big ones and very scattered but I would not eat them. Just my opinion.
    Lake Berryessa: Lots of big ones, but have to know where to look.
    Folsom Lake: Small crappies, so don’t your waste time.
    Lake Natoma (American river): Surprisingly lots of small crappies. Kayak/Canoe only.
    Camp Far West Lake: Eatable size crappies but not thriving.
    Englebright Lake: Lots of decent size crappies.
    Collins Lake: don’t waste time. I used to catch a ton of them. Crappies are not thriving. Famous for ice cream trout’s if you know what I mean.
    Lake Oroville: Lots of big crappies, but have to know where to find them.
    East Park Reservoir: Lots of big crappies and thriving due to good cover and lots of threadfin shad to feed on.
    Stony Gorge Reservoir: Large crappies but not abundant. Weird when East Park actually flows into this lake. Also has shad.
    Black Butte Reservoir: Big crappies but not abundant anymore. Again, very weird as Stony Gorge flows into this lake with no shad at all! Crappies here feed on ghost minnows. Lots and lots of ghost minnows. Water is very dingy here.
    Indian Valley Reservoir: Decent size crappies depending on the past rainfall otherwise, don’t waste your time. Road access is horrible.
    Clear Lake: Lots of big crappies. Have to know where to look though and water is choppy.
    Lake Berryesa: Abundant and big crappies.

That pretty much sums it up. I fish crappies year round and catch them year round. While everyone is out hunting, I’m pulling in big crappies. Let me know your experiences on these lakes and how you catch them.
    Likes Catpaw, halibut4me, rlaughlin70 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I see that there are 58 views on my post here. I am pretty sure you folks are from Cali. You are welcome to chime in otherwise, I will be closing this thread soon.
    Likes Catpaw LIKED above post

Redge is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2017 Man Of The Year
    Post Thanks / Like

Not from Cali, wonder if the Mods can actually see if there were any views from California.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lol11 View Post
    I see that there are 58 views on my post here.
    One of 'em is mine, and I'm in Georgia.

Post Thanks / Like

No longer a Cali boy. Was until Feb of this year though.
    Couple of Lakes you might try for big crappie, San Antonio and Nacimiento over near the coast west of 101.
    Both are still suffering from the drought But Naci can be fished by launching from the Resort. I'm pretty sure San Antonio is still hand launch only. Canoes and Kayaks.
    Just a word for those that do not know anything about these lakes. Nacimiento has the only fishery for white bass in the state and they must be killed or returned to the water immediately upon catching them. Big fines for having them in your boat alive.
    San Antonio has one of the best fisheries for striped bass in the state when the water is up. They are probably stacked on top of each other with the water as low as it is. Last time I remember fish very low water there it was almost like fishing in a bucket. In addition to Crappie, stripers and good black bass fishing, there is a little recognized but highly productive Channel catfish population in the 'Tone. I always took some chicken livers when I'd go there. Even if you can't find your target fish, the cats will invariably keep you from wearing the skunk stripes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by plumbertom View Post
    No longer a Cali boy. Was until Feb of this year though.
    Couple of Lakes you might try for big crappie, San Antonio and Nacimiento over near the coast west of 101.
    Both are still suffering from the drought But Naci can be fished by launching from the Resort. I'm pretty sure San Antonio is still hand launch only. Canoes and Kayaks.
    Just a word for those that do not know anything about these lakes. Nacimiento has the only fishery for white bass in the state and they must be killed or returned to the water immediately upon catching them. Big fines for having them in your boat alive.
    San Antonio has one of the best fisheries for striped bass in the state when the water is up. They are probably stacked on top of each other with the water as low as it is. Last time I remember fish very low water there it was almost like fishing in a bucket. In addition to Crappie, stripers and good black bass fishing, there is a little recognized but highly productive Channel catfish population in the 'Tone. I always took some chicken livers when I'd go there. Even if you can't find your target fish, the cats will invariably keep you from wearing the skunk stripes.
    Ah, thanks for bringing back the good old memories of Nacemiento. I had great times out as a youth fishing with an older buddy who has long passed away. Haven't been out there for many years. Yes, that place is infected with white bass and I bet it still is. I used to fish for them at night under a green crappie light and it was so effective. In 40 ft of water if I drop my line only 10-15 ft down, I'd catch crappie. If I drop it 25 ft down, nothing but white bass and when they get bunched up on the sonar, I mean so many red arches on the fish finder, boy "O" boy, it's thump after thump. My only problem is, white bass has a stench I cannot stand and meat is a little tough.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't fished in CA since '74! Back then Lake Hennessey was a decent crappie lake. I have many fond memories of Berryessa for many species.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I have to be more active" lol....

At this moment I'm letting them
    Settle down.......

You have any pics of your catch?

Cm
    " SLABS ARE FUN TO CATCH "

Post Thanks / Like

I make a trip every year for the last four years and fish Lake Perris, mostly for gills and redear. It certainly is hit and miss there for crappie but in late April of 2013 we found a bunch in one area, had a few 50 + fish days with the biggest 16 inches. Average fish was 12-13 inches, beautiful fish. Dropping the water levels in the lake and now the place we caught them is bone dry. Caught only one 14 incher this year while I was out there. I'll be back out there in 2015 for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Im pushing 40 to, lol. Ive fished indian but since the lake got so low alot fewer crappie. Ill be in nor cal fishing all spring. yell if you want some company. rob
    ever try bullards bar for crappie?
    Last edited by robbor; 12-27-2014 at 11:50 PM.
    "Some days im Basstastic other days im crapptacular"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast