HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 82 of 88 FirstFirst ... 327279808182838485 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion on Lowrance Elite 5 DSI/Chartplotter ....

Post Thanks / Like

There is a screen on the DF that shows the current version installed on the unit. I am not where I can look at the moment but it is in the utilities or files section on the unit. May be a selection label "about" but you can look around and find it, If the update loaded it will show in that screen.
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men
    Likes Knot2Bad LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Searay,,, I will have a look and see if I can figure it out. Dang I though retirement was going to be a cake walk...

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

How to find out which version is downloaded is on this page :

Elite 3.6 - LOWRANCE | Marine Electronics

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All:

Been following this thread, and thanks everyone for all the great advice, tips, etc. Just created an account here. I got the Elite 5 DSI and started using in in 2013. It has been great, up until two weeks ago.

Unit's sonar recently stopped working. It had been working fine for months. GPS function seems fine. Sonar Screen now shows NOTHING (no bottom, no structure, no fish marks, etc) and flashes a weird depth (eg 200 feet, when I am in water less than 50 feet). This occurs when moving or stationary. I have tried setting depth to 50 feet, to 100 feet, to auto, it does not make a difference. Transducer is transom mounted, and appears to be in same position as when I installed it.

Can anyone help please.

Thanks
    Bob

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob, first off ... to Crappie.com !!

I'm no expert on this unit, which is why I started this thread in the first place.

I don't really know if anyone is paying much attention to this thread, anymore, since the unit has been discontinued by Lowrance in favor of the Elite series that has the 2d sonar capability added back to the units.

You might want to get in touch with Lowrance & see if they have any suggestions (other than purchasing another unit). Or you could wait & see if anyone answers on this thread, or even post a separate thread on this forum or on the sidescan/downscan sub-forum (just in case interest has been lost in this thread by the members that have previously replied).

If I were to try and answer your question, I'd simply be guessing and that wouldn't benefit either of us or anyone else that might end up with the same problem & come here looking for a fix. I haven't had that particular problem occur with my unit, so I don't know how to remedy the situation. Sorry

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I think your transducer is bad. Maybe a pinched wire? Done any moving aroundor shuffling wires anywhere recently in last few months?

I had one do this to me on a different unit. Replaced transducer, back in business. Try a spare or find a used one. Or just replace it. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkAngler View Post
    I think your transducer is bad. Maybe a pinched wire? Done any moving aroundor shuffling wires anywhere recently in last few months?

I had one do this to me on a different unit. Replaced transducer, back in business. Try a spare or find a used one. Or just replace it. Lol
    Possibility !!

I do know that you have to be careful when plugging the power/tdx cable into the unit ... and ALWAYS push the plug in & pull it out STRAIGHT !! Pulling down or wiggling the plug up and down to remove it can put the pins out of position. This happened to me, and I realized I was having to push the plug in with such force that I was actually making a new "hole" for one of the pins. Once I realized what was going on, I pushed the pin back into its proper position, so that it would line up with the hole it was supposed to be going into. I'm now more careful & gentle with the plug, when plugging the unit up and when removing the plug from the unit. Luckily for me, the pin that was out of place was the water temp connection pin, as that was the only screen info that wasn't behaving normally.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BobEver View Post
    Hi All:

Unit's sonar recently stopped working. This occurs when moving or stationary. I have tried setting depth to 50 feet, to 100 feet, to auto, it does not make a difference. Transducer is transom mounted, and appears to be in same position as when I installed it.

Can anyone help please.

Thanks
    Bob
    Bob, I also am no expert either but here are a few things you should check out. First make sure your connections from the transducer to the unit are good. You can even put on some lubricant which I do because it makes for easier connect / Disconnect. Secondly transducer are piezoelectric. They both transmit and receive sonic signals. You say its a transom mounted, I would check it to make sure the angle is right. Then check for damage and look at the bottom of the transducer to see if there is any noticeable damage, discoloration or crack. I would also see if anyone near you has the same unit and put your unit in their boat and see what you get. Transducers do go bad occasionally and depending where and how you mounted it I could be taking a beating so if you find out its your transducer do some research on placement to make sure its mounted in the right location to maximize performance and life. Good Luck Keep us posted on your findings.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses guys. I have contacted Lowrance via their website, still waiting to hear back from them. In mean time I will check out what you fine folk suggest.

CrappiePappy, thanks much for starting this post, it has been very informative.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, here is what Lowrance emailed me, I have not tried it yet, but will let the board know if it works once I do. Lowrance says:

Try and reset the unit. Unit turned off, Press and hold PAGES, turn the unit on, keep holding PAGES til unit beeps.

Page 82 of 88 FirstFirst ... 327279808182838485 ... LastLast