Hope you got the videos?

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Hello and good day to all. I am a new member here, and am getting into the tying of jigs also. I have seen all the pretty chenille's, and the different styles of jig's being tied, both on here and on many of the you tube video's. What my question is, can regular yarn ( like for knitting be used instead of chenille. I understand the life expectancy will not be as long as that of chenille, but at least to get a feel for not only of how to tie the jigs, but possibly used to catch some fish. I am sorry for being so nieve on the subject, but asking any way. tight lines to all.

Post Thanks / Like

Some kinds of yarn are use in fly tying where a small body can be the desired look as well as the fuzzy look. S sure ou can do what ever you want, there are no rules about what materials you use. Just Learn the right way to tie.
    This link is to some fly tying lessons and if I were you this is the best place to learn how to tie in different materials. They have a beginner, intermediate and advanced tying lessons. I know your not tying flies, but they tie in chenille too and all other kinds of materials. Personally I think this is better than a video and I also know it's right and not all videos are created equal.
    good luck!
    FAOL Main Menu

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

hers's a nice short video I found. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFT_Edtd04s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappie_dan View Post
    hers's a nice short video I found. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFT_Edtd04s
    Not how I tie, but to each his or her own. Several things I would not do like he did. Videos on you tube are nice, but also many of them have some not so good habits you may pick up. Just my 2 cents!

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for a great thread Skip (read it all), Been tying about four years and love it. This is a great hobby and is far removed from mass production. Love hearing from all you veteran tyiers as I learn everytime. Hope you new guys give it a real chance as it is so neat to catch a fish on YOUR special creation. Come on spring, Grumpy....
    Likes skiptomylu LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

My first vice I bought at a bookstore when I was in my 20's it came in a kit for around twenty bucks. It came with mis. feathers,thread,flash,chinelle,hooks,and was a great way to get started. Then I looked on Ebay , and found everything to upgrade pretty cheap.Thiers also tons of materials pretty cheap.You just need to know what to look for,and how much you are willing to pay.
    Likes skiptomylu LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread. I expect my starter kit in tomorrow and cant wait to start making jigs this weekend. Thanks to all who have put info on this thread. it really helps a beginner out..
    Likes Bobo Greybeard, skiptomylu, JimmyD555 LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Somervilleguy,

Post up if you need any more help or have any questions.

Bobo

Post Thanks / Like

My starter kit came in today that I ordered from Crazy Angler. I went ahead and put in another order for some head cement, flash, chenille and some 1/4#2 jig heads. Other than that, I think i am ready to watch some vids this weekend and get to learning. Pretty Excited.......
    Likes Bobo Greybeard LIKED above post