Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Which reel would you pick between the following?

Post Thanks / Like

The only reason i think shimano is above daiwa is because their lower end reels like the sienna are still a very smooth and solid reel. The same cannot be said about daiwa.
    Likes Mikie LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    Hate to say this, but none of the above. I am a Shimano guy, but I do go for high end reels which I know are not for everyone, but I like how smooth they are and all the bearings help. First you should know Shimano is the largest gear MFG. in the world and make something like 75% of all the gears in all the cars and trucks made. So they have the knowledge, engineering and equipment to make the best gears, but they also have a great drag system IMHO!
    I also know that I spend too much on my rods and reels, but it's just what I do.
    The more I learn about you Skip, the more I like you buddy! Never really spoke much on here about my preferences on rods and reels, but I also like the higher end equipment. Doesn't make me right or better, just is what I know I like. Do I have cheaper gear? You bet! I just don't grab it like I did when I wasn't as "well-heeled" financially. Keep up the posts and nice work.
    Most men spend their entire life fishing, without realizing its not the fish they are after!

Post Thanks / Like

I know I'm late to the party, but I'll throw my opinion in anyways.

If you are going to do a lot of casting and reeling, you need a smooth reel. With that being said, I think there is a line where you get to that great reel and then everything beyond is just minuscule. That line is the pflueger president and shimano sedona. Beyond those reels, the upgrades are just not needed in a panfish reel IMO. Now, if we were talking throwing bass gear or walleye gear then IMO the better reels are worth it.. but not for fishing 1/32-1/8 crappie jigs. You will have a reel that is as smooth as butter and casts a mile with those two suggested reels, and money left over to buy some new jigs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaCrappieMan View Post
    What are you rocking out skip? A Stella or stradic? Thanks guys for all the input still deciding... I've thrown the quantum energy pti in the mix
    No, avoid the energy pt. I've had 3 and hated all 3 of them (each was a different size). They are heavy and awkward. I sold all 3 within a week of buying them. Pflueger or Shimano all the way. Okumas are great also, but I've broken 3 of them in the past 5 years.. just wore them out. They were absolutely fantastic reels while they lasted. Daiwa is another great brand if you get into the high end models, their low and mid models SUCK. Same with quantum. Above the energy are great, but energy and blow should be avoided.

Post Thanks / Like

President
    Likes wannabe fisherman LIKED above post

Post Thanks / Like

I've got 6 CI4's and really like them. Have caught a ton of fish and they always perform. I have no problem getting 20 yards cast after cast on 16th ounce jigs. 5 are 2500s and 1 is a 3000. The 3000 is a go to for bass and walleye. I agree about the Quantum Energy PT. I have one and it just isn't the same feel as a Shimano IMO.
    Most men spend their entire life fishing, without realizing its not the fish they are after!

Post Thanks / Like

If you are spider rigging or trolling any descent reel works ok.I have about 10 Pfluegers and a couple of Shimanos I use for this but casting is what I really like to do.My casting reel is a Diawa SS 700.You can make some long casts with these reels which allows you to cover more water.If you have ever owned one of them nothing else could take it's place.They are also bullet proof.

Post Thanks / Like

Another diawa lover I just can't get over the looks of the ss 700 it almost looks prehistoric... Lol I've got an okuma reel that I've used for trout in the lake and I've thrown up to 1/2 oz sinkers with it and it still works great... I would almost like to get a higher end okuma to see but I'm leaning towards another 1000 series sahara... Thanks whomever resurrected this thread... Got a new fenwick river runner can't wait for the snow to leave so I can take it out

Post Thanks / Like

I have a River runner and I love it. I use it for trout and crappie and forget its a two piece! Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah it's really a great rod this is my 2nd one... What's the length/action on your river runner?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast