HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Poney heads and horse heads

jackie53 is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a great topic that has been discussed as long as I can remember. We live in small town USA and proud of it. We live 4 1/2 hours from springfield 's Bass Pro,1 1/2 from Little Rock our Wal-Mart sells more Bread,milk and gas than anything.Our Wal-Mart sporting goods(tackle is made up of 0ne isle) the only time they stock RoadRunners is the first of spring in march their may be 2 dozen 1/16 oz Roadrunners on a peg,Red/white,Red/chart,Yellow which these are good colors when they run out they are out till next spring. We like the( 1/48 oz) poney head for bream fishing.I have never seen this size in our Wal-Mart.We also like the (3/16 oz)with a willow leaf blade.In our Wal-Mart it ain't happening! In order to get these sizes you either order them and pay shipping and handling(small hooks) or make them yourself which we do.Yes they probaly cost more have to order a mold,blades,split rings,lead and then our time(what is this worth) but we can put the size hooks we need in them(bigger).We have friends that fish with us so we make them a few trade them for gas money (3.78 a gal) or we really competeing with blakemore? The ones we buy must be made in china the blade won't turn and the paint will not stay on and the marbou comes out after a few cast.I really don't see the problem.Yea this is in my spare time from my regular job instead of using my (valuable time) to fish how much is it worth(my time).When They ban( lead) the do it yourselfer like me is out of business!!!!!!
    John 3:16
    Blessed to have as many friends as fingers on your hand is a blessing!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.
    Thanks D Morrow thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie53 View Post
    This is a great topic that has been discussed as long as I can remember. We live in small town USA and proud of it. We live 4 1/2 hours from springfield 's Bass Pro,1 1/2 from Little Rock our Wal-Mart sells more Bread,milk and gas than anything.Our Wal-Mart sporting goods(tackle is made up of 0ne isle) the only time they stock RoadRunners is the first of spring in march their may be 2 dozen 1/16 oz Roadrunners on a peg,Red/white,Red/chart,Yellow which these are good colors when they run out they are out till next spring. We like the( 1/48 oz) poney head for bream fishing.I have never seen this size in our Wal-Mart.We also like the (3/16 oz)with a willow leaf blade.In our Wal-Mart it ain't happening! In order to get these sizes you either order them and pay shipping and handling(small hooks) or make them yourself which we do.Yes they probaly cost more have to order a mold,blades,split rings,lead and then our time(what is this worth) but we can put the size hooks we need in them(bigger).We have friends that fish with us so we make them a few trade them for gas money (3.78 a gal) or we really competeing with blakemore? The ones we buy must be made in china the blade won't turn and the paint will not stay on and the marbou comes out after a few cast.I really don't see the problem.Yea this is in my spare time from my regular job instead of using my (valuable time) to fish how much is it worth(my time).When They ban( lead) the do it yourselfer like me is out of business!!!!!!
    The reason you don't see the sizes you mention is because Blakemore doesn't make that weight and all their Roadrunners come with one size hook. I believe that is because of the coast of their molds which I understand the cost is in the thousands each. I use the Original Roadrunners and the smallest is 1/32 which is my personal favorite, then 1/16, 1/8 and even 1/4. I stock up to including 1/8 and have never used a 1/4 so can't say much more than that. I tried to get a bigger hook in the 1/32, but it was not possible, but they still work great with that #6 hook that comes in them.

Walmart has just cut their fishing department so much I don't usually go there for that any longer. I just don't see the use when where I live you have to order most things anyway and Walmart is 40 miles away. Now days is cheaper to order and just have it delivered to your house, plus you have a lot better selection online.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Jackie53 I agree that Road Runners are often hard to find. However: our small town Wal-mart has expanded it's tackle department and carries Road Runners, year-round. Carrying both the Curly-Tail, Crappie Thunder and barbed Road Runner heads. Heads are available in 1/32, 1/16th, 1/8th, 1/4, and 3/8. Original and Original barbed heads are available with the standard sized hooks with the original blade. Pro, Pro 2.0, Glow and Natural Science Heads all come with a larger hook size and a willow blade. Marabou Road Runners are under-wrapped, tied and sealed with head cement. Just like the bluegill jigs I tied when I was a teenager. Marabou Road Runners are tied in Haiti. Contact the Salvation Army if you'd like to donate to the earthquake victims there.
    All three sizes of the Natural Science Trout-Panfish series feature smaller than standard hooks. I have found this to be the most stunning lure for Bluegill I've ever fished.
    There is more information about heads at this site. Why are there so many different Road Runner heads from which to choose? | TJ Stallings' Fishing Blog -TJ

Post Thanks / Like

Skip. Regarding "all their Roadrunners come with one size hook". You may want to contact Ron Stallings about the other heads like the Pro Series, etc, for next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TJ Stallings View Post
    Skip. Regarding "all their Roadrunners come with one size hook". You may want to contact Ron Stallings about the other heads like the Pro Series, etc, for next year.
    Thanks TJ I may need so look at that. So far all I use the the Original Roadrunners.

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Amen to Bartesville being tackle deprived . A friend of mine to a big load of tackle I made to a flea market up there .He had a lot of rods and reels .I had the tackle . He was there 3 hrs and out of inventory by noon .Somebody sure needs to open a shop around there if only out of their garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all we live in a country(USA) where we can pick and choose the Blakemore RoadRunner like the original #11 rapala are great lures.But like the alabama rig as of late folks are going to experment and try to improve on the original idea that does'nt make the lure any less.Its like a FORD or CHEVY.I am a good thread stopper and I love fishing the Roadrunner no other can compare.Our Wal-mart is only 50 miles from the disturbition center which as a great selection as Mr.stallings said.Thats what is great about this site thanks guys hope I have not offened any one you guys have helped me dearley thanks again.If they did'nt want the poney heads sold why do they sell the molds? The answer is for guys like you and I thanks again!!!!! This country is great USA!USA!!!!!!!
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

No offense that I can see, but they make the mold for the do it your self guy and to make money for Do-it company. It's not so people can sell the heads and it's just the way it is and if people didn't buy the mold I feel sure they would stop making them, but as long as there are guy that want to make their own heads of that kind they will make that mold. Most molds you are right, they are open for the product from them to be sold, but not that particular one. There is a lot of other ways guys can make heads with a spinner blade on them if they want including the safety pin type as well as the heads now that are not pony/Roadrunner shape with a swivel and spinner attached.

Your right about the USA being Great!!!

Peak Vise Dealer

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Skip I enjoy your posts look each day for your wisdom from your posts.Folks like you make this site great.(I love Roadrunners)They are my goto in spring Red,Chart,Red,White and yellow,yellow in muddy water.The 1/32 oz is my favorite.The 1/48 oz was shown to me buy an old crappie master in our town Chart,silver neck,red flashabou tail has been unreal either under a small bobber or if they are deeper use a split shot up the line about 6 in.We also discovered Powerpro in 4lb dia,10lb test braid you can feel the thump even with a bow in your line has taken a number of crappie that would never have felt biting.Yes I am a bass fisherman learning crappie fishing and have loved every min of it.Never before have we caught so many crappie on a lake that is known as the dead sea my friends say you caught those out of Greers Ferry lake.We have well known crappie holes within 30-45 min drive of this clear water 38,000 acre lake nite mare that on a clear sunny day you can see a lure 8-10' thanks again.
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Skip,TJ for the heads up so you can make them ( poney heads,horseheads) for yourself and friends without getting in trouble but can't sell them? We posted pics on our wed site next to some grubs to kind of show how the little keeper works for friends to see is this legal? Do you see anything wrong with our site as for as trademark problems?Do we need to take the pics of poney heads off of our site? We are trying to show the little bait keepers that we added to keep from using superglue so you can change baits (grubs,tubes) without tearing the plastic?
    "Gone fish'n not wish'n"
    In God We Trust.
    Can God trust us.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast