HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast

Thread: Who make the best deep cycle battery?

Post Thanks / Like

I have been useing the exide naut gold's 4 of them for the pst 7 years,
    they are still going strong, i keep them charged up after each trip and they spend all winter in my boat stored outside with only a boat cover for protection.
    so all in all I think its how you care for them in the end that determains how they last and perform

hooks sharp and reels full

Corker is offline Crappie.com 1K Star General - Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by short grub View Post
    its how you care for them in the end that determines how they last and perform
    Very true. Care begins on the water. By using 4 batteries, you are spreading the wear & tear that would otherwise kill a single battery (12v TM) or pair of batteries (24v.) The backup batteries allow you to switch before discharging the first battery (or pair) too deeply. Deep discharge reduces a battery's life expectancy--measured in charge/discharge cycles, not years. Calendar years may be important from the budget perspective, but number of cycles (fishing trips) is a better way to judge the true value of a battery.

When I ran a 12v TM, I got about 100 trips out of a WalMart deep cycle marine battery that cost less than $90. Convenience, warranty, and a cost-per-trip of $0.90 seal the deal for me!
    Thanks D Morrow thanked you for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Interstate Megatron. I have been using the SR-27 for years. I have 2 deep cycle and 1 cranking and they have all lasted over 5 years. I charge them as soon as I get off the water and keep them full of water.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you guys think about the Optima batteries? Considering buying a couple blue tops????????????

Post Thanks / Like

i sold batteries for 32 years. The truth about them....... There ain't but 3 battery manufactors in North America. Deka, Exide, and Interstate. Look at all the name brand stickers on them. You'll find out all the battery outside cases match. For instince, the carring handle on Exide batterys. The ridged ege of Interstate. The smooth flat surface of Deka. We get Motorcraft and AC delco from a Deka delivered factory truck every Wedsday. Then he's headed to Walmart, Advanced, Autozone, Sears, and Sam's. I learned this some years back when I went to Deka factory. But let me say some companys that buy from the big 3 put some extra plates in there batterys. Such as Catapillar. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had several different brands. Wal-mart batteries have last over 5 yrs. per set. I have owned a total of 10 of them. They stand behind them very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EarlWaynetom View Post
    i sold batteries for 32 years. The truth about them....... There ain't but 3 battery manufactors in North America. Deka, Exide, and Interstate. Look at all the name brand stickers on them. You'll find out all the battery outside cases match. For instince, the carring handle on Exide batterys. The ridged ege of Interstate. The smooth flat surface of Deka. We get Motorcraft and AC delco from a Deka delivered factory truck every Wedsday. Then he's headed to Walmart, Advanced, Autozone, Sears, and Sam's. I learned this some years back when I went to Deka factory. But let me say some companys that buy from the big 3 put some extra plates in there batterys. Such as Catapillar. Hope this helps.
    Interstate doesn't make their own batteries, I'm thinking Exides making them now since we have Interstate blems in our factory outlet store. Exide and Johnson Controls are the 2 big makers. Johnson recently opened up a massive batt plant down in Mexico. Some interesting info on grids (plates),7 grids/batt for conductivity, 8 won't fit or charge, 6 will charge and bridge for maybe a year. Heavier grids are used in marine, equipment and recharge areas so the batt can withstand vibrations and jolting. When comparing brands or styles, pick them up the heavier they are, the longer they CAN run and last. I hate to say this but, contract length is the best indicator of batt life, they're usually 5 yrs. If they're not renewed those last runs can have some pure crap to fill quota's, WalMart is notorious for the dump. I've worked for Exide right here in my hometown and I'm amazed at how many labels they run. Now another bomb, Exide uses tap water to fill their batteries, it's an electrolyte thing.
    All lakes raise a foot when I step in the boat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EarlWaynetom View Post
    Interstate is a reseller and has never made batteries. A lot of theirs are made by Johnson Controls who also owns the ACDelco brand for batteries and makes Motorcraft and Everstart as well.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Interstate is a reseller and has never made batteries. A lot of theirs are made by Johnson Controls who also owns the ACDelco brand for batteries and makes Motorcraft and Everstart as well.
    For some reason or another, folks don't believe us about batteries.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Post Thanks / Like

All my batteries a recycled(forgive spelling). I buy here in mooresville from a place called just batteries Just Batteries Inc. - All your battery needs for camera, cell phone, camcorder, SLA, batteries recycling and much more. | Just Batteries Inc.. I get deep cycle batteries for 30 bucks or so If I have a core(been so long I can't remember exactly). If not I think they add 10 bucks to the final price. I would suggest looking for a place that is comprable as to what they sell. Best I have been told by people is they are batteries used in emergency equipment(i.e. generators at emergency places) as cranking batteries and they must be replaced once a year. I have two right now that I have been using for a little over 1-1/2 years. I fish mabey 4 to 8 hrs per week on average and as soon as I get home the onborad charger/tender gets plugged in. Keep um charged and don't spend extra for a name. I am extremely cheap though so take it all with a grain of salt. Just my opinion. I'm only 27 and their are far more lerned than I.
    Code

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567815 ... LastLast