Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lovin the electric Fillet knife !

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lovin the electric Fillet knife !

Howdy folks.
    New to this forum, Old hand on others. I found a video on the Lindy site on how to use a electric fillet knife. I was really impressed with the ease and speed of how the guy was filleting the Crappie ! I picked up a Berkley electric knife and gave it a shot, Wow is all I can say ! As a beginer with the electric, I thought there would be a learning curve and some mangled fillets ! Nope, it turned out to be as easy as the guy demonstrated ! Thumbs Up I'm just curious about how many members here use an electric fillet knife and what your thoughts are about them are ??

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've got three elec fillet knives (110V) ... if that tells you anything ... LOL !!

Seriously though ... once I realized that I didn't have to scrape the scales off, behead & de-gut a fish before it was ready to cook, then (once cooked) pick thru the fish to avoid getting a bone in the throat ... it was a no brainer to have & learn how to use an elec knife. All of what I cut off a fish, with an elec knife, is eaten .... which is equivilant to what I'd have picked around the bones & eaten, if the fish hadn't been filleted. So, by my way of reckoning, I clean them faster & easier, yet still end up eating an equal percentage of the available meat.

Now, that's not to say that I don't/won't clean some the "old fashioned" way, especially Crappie. And especially if I'm going to eat them shortly after catching them. The skin does add a little sweet/nutty flavor to the fish. Now, for stored catches (frozen & eaten weeks or months later) I'm most likely to filet them ... especially since the friends/family members that I give most of them to, want them that way.

I don't run the knife in a straight line, down the side of the fish, either .... it's more of a elongated S cut, starting on top of the head (above the eyes) & coming down around the gill plates, then towards the belly ribs. That way, I figure I'm gaining the meat above the eyes/gills ... to offset the sacrificing of the meat around the belly ribs. My fillets come out as one long single piece of meat, not a "check mark" shaped piece, but I still think I'm getting a equal or greater percentage of the back meat & overall % ... with little waste/loss. But, that's just the way I do it, and it's not intended to be a portrayal of "how it's supposed to be done". To each, his/her own, on the "how to" !!

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Howdy CP
    I do that type of S cut on my Haddock and Cod when I fillet those, I never thought of doing the same to Crappie, I'll have to give it a shot. The more Crappie on the plate, the better I like it ! Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

Electric is the only way to go!

Helicopter Pilot
    Vietnam 67/68
    Proud Member of the Southeast Asian War Games Team

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your service Blackhawk19 !

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site surflizard, from Ne. It would be hard to go back to the non electric way of filleting fish once you have mastered the art of the electric knife. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind welcome EB. I hear you there, I worked on a lot of different boats on the coast as a teenager. I like to think I'm pretty efficent with a fillet knife, but know after running the electric for a little while, your right , I really doubt that I'll go back !

Sorry to see all that wild weather out there this year, it sure seems like no part of the counrty has been spared from Mother Natures wrath ! Stay safe.

Surf

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to Crappie.com surflizard, glad you joined in with us here.
    The eclectic fillet knife is a great tool for any fisherman. I have two, one is 110v and the other a rechargeable that I keep in the camper. Both knifes work very well. On my 110v I use a thin blade as you can turn the blade easy.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

I grow up using the electric knife, my dad and his buddy cleaned a ton of fish with it and I learn it from them. They wasnt called a electric fillet knife then, they were electric trimming/carving knife. They got their knife's from Montgomery Wards and Sears if that tells you how long it been. Funny thing is I never learned how to clean a fish with a regular bladed knife LOL. Welcome to the forum Surflizard, great forum right here!
    I still use one rod at a time!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks SH, PF16, Glad to be here ! I'm eyeballing the new Berkley ION rechargeable knife, the tough part will be convincing the Missus that I've had it all along !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast