Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: 12V Wiring for Dummies - Redux, Part Deux

Post Thanks / Like

Default 12V Wiring for Dummies - Redux, Part Deux

It's STILL the ground STEWPIT!!!!!

Well, I made it out fishing this past Monday. Yep, chores were all done and I had irritated my wife enough asking her "what next honey?" that she told me to git so I got. Loaded the boat and the kid that needed something to do and dumped the boat in at Wolf Creek. Put out 6 rods, dropped the TM and .................................................. ...............................................

Nothing. Dang TM was dead as a hammer and me out here bobbing around without any JB Weld. Fooled, fiddled and jiggled everthing I could. Broke out the voltage meter and was getting 25.7V at the plug. I thought I was having some kind of cabling or breaker trouble as this had happened intermittantly before, but never lasted more than just a second or two. Well, I made 2 long wind drifts without so much as a nibble and decided to call it quits. Loaded the boat, dressed down everything and on my way to the truck decided to hit the switch one last time. Whirrrrrrrrrrr. Doh!!!!

Well, got the boat home and prepared for battle. Started searching for testing procedures, lining up Fosters for parts and shopping for replacement motors just in case. Basically loading up for bear.

Finally got around to looking at it last night and it turns out the mechanical crimp on the connection between the motor and plug had turned loose. I had wrapped it all so tight that I couldn't detect any movement at the connection, but it was loosing connection when the wire would bend when I moved the foot control.

By now, yep, you guessed it:

It was the ground, Stewpit.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got it all figured out before the campout!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guess when you can't fish

you have plenty of time to eget the boat all fixed up. Now drive down to Ridgeland and hook up my Lowrance and the new GPS module for me. LOL
    proud member of "Team Cup"