Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New fishing regulations on coe lakes

Post Thanks / Like

Default New fishing regulations on coe lakes

Are any of yall seeing any results from the new regulations....I caught my 7th and 8th crappie over 3 lbs today at sardis. Up until last year the only 3lbers ive caught have been on butla. The ration of keepers to throwbacks has also gone up alot for me this year. What is yalls opinion?
    " I practice catch and Release....into the grease."

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there. I'm from the Arkansas Forum but couldn't help seeing your title. I worked for the COE for a long time and retired last year. At the time of my retirement, I didn't know of specific rules for (only) CoE lakes...and I have travelled all over the south.

I'd be interested to know what you're talkin about. Usually the COE works hand-in-hand with the local Game and Fish folks and THEY do all the rules and regs, but I have never heard of special rules for corps lakes. Just curious.

It seems that whatever the rules are...they are producing the right results. <><

aj

Post Thanks / Like

I've never caught any 3's at Sardis....Hope the regs are working, but the only thing I have seen is all the 9.5 to 10.5 inchfish are now 11.5 to 12.5 inch fish.....

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Regs.

No and probably wont . They have tried this numerous time over the last 40+ yrs. and what i have noticed is a larger population of dinks, they spawn just like the big uns do. Only theres more of them.I personally dont see what they are doing is going to change any thing. What they havent mentioned is what percentage of big fish that are sucked out of there during the fall drawdown vs the ones that are left in there. In years past and i was a lot younger, i wouldnt even fish the main lake during the spawn would fish below the dam (way below) and catch bigger fish and more of them. If i had a smaller boat could prob. still do it. Lower limits and size restrictions just increases a larger dink population. Thats my input.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

At Enid I have seen a larger throw back ratio, but I have also seen larger fish in my keepers. I think as the years progress we will see larger fish. I know in the fall at Grenada I had very few throw backs and Grenada has been on the program a year longer than the rest of the COE lakes.

When the lakes finally catch up the throw back ratio will go down.
    [SIGPIC]Drake Waterfowl Prostaff, Dakota Decoys Prostaff,F&F Boats, Mercury Marine, Rig Em Right, Crappie Logic Jigs, Slab Bandits, Hayes Calls, and Kick's Choke Tubes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arkie John View Post
    Hey there. I'm from the Arkansas Forum but couldn't help seeing your title. I worked for the COE for a long time and retired last year. At the time of my retirement, I didn't know of specific rules for (only) CoE lakes...and I have travelled all over the south.

I'd be interested to know what you're talkin about. Usually the COE works hand-in-hand with the local Game and Fish folks and THEY do all the rules and regs, but I have never heard of special rules for corps lakes. Just curious.

It seems that whatever the rules are...they are producing the right results. <><

aj
    These are Mississippi Dept. of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Parks regs that were put into place on the 4 flood control lakes in the northern part of the state to hopefully increase the size of the fishes. If the plan works, it could be an economic boom to the area. Folks already come there with the hopes of catching a 3 pounder from all over the East.

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Regulations

Arkie, the regulations were not COE, they just affect our MS COE lakes. The MDWFP put a 12" minimum, 20 fish limit, on the major N. MS lakes of Arkla, Sardis, Enid, and Grenada. They are definitely producing the right results overall. Folks may be catching some short fish right now, but the smaller fish are always caught right after the spawn.

I caught more 13"-16" fish early this spring than I ever have, and I'm betting the trollers will see a difference this summer. In years past, folks would have to catch 70-80 fish on Sardis to keep 30, 10" fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think this is another example of the slow reaction of government kicking in just when we don't need it. Think about it, several years of severe drought caused the fish populations in the COE to decrease due to successive poor spawns and recruitment. The gov't slowly assesses and comes up with a plan to put min lengths and limit the number of poles and hooks in the water to protect the population. By the time the new regs are in place, we have 3 years of good water levels and good spawn. Meanwhile, the short fish are taking over and consuming the availabel forage to limit the growth of the larger fish. Good idea, about 2 years too late. Don't worry though, about 3 years after the damage is done, they'll remove the 12" minimum, but will keep the pole limit.

Now, aren't you glad they're also in charge of the Economic Stimulus plan too.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

I tend to agree with Pops. The fish I caught in upper lake at Sardis before the spawn averaged much larger than in years past.

I fished two mornings over the long weekend and caught 4 throwbacks for every keeper. Fished two weeks ago and caught 3 throwbacks for every keeper. These results are just like last year immediately after the spawn. I'm hoping that the ratio is good after the fish get on their summer pattern. This weekend I found many fish still around the brushpiles where they spawned (water is about ten feet deeper than a month ago when I caught them spawning on those piles).

I also agree with Mr. Jim comments about the lower lake. The COE drawdown of Sardis in December and January put a load of big crappie in the lower lake. There were a bunch of big fish caught in lower lake during that time, it was a lot like "hunting in the zoo".

I have fished Sardis a lot over past five years and never caught a crappie over 2-1/2 pounds from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like some like the regs and some dont. I see both sides as having legitimate points. I personally have had fewer throwbacks. half the fish I caught yesterday were throwbacks, and the rest were nice, healthy looking fish. I fish twice a week so the need to keep more than 20 fish per trip is not there. I like the regulations personally, and I believe they are looking out for the best interest and the future of these lakes.

What I dont like is dodging beer bottles and cans with my boat all day. I know some of the trash is coming from the runoff, but I wish people would take care of these lakes by putting their trash in a garbage can. It makes me sick to see that.

Two more questions....how well will fish populations do with the new hatchery opening up? What is the difference in a magnolia crappie and a white/black crappie?
    " I practice catch and Release....into the grease."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast