Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DonDon got me plum inspired yesterday

Post Thanks / Like

Default DonDon got me plum inspired yesterday

Nothing like organization I always say.

Question, I went through my bass crap and pulled out every 300 sized crankbait I had. Turns out, I didn't have a single Bandit 300 in the lot. Ton of 200s though. Anybody troll with those or do they have a time and place to be useful?

Wannabe...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

As I recall, they won't run as deep, but if the fish aren't super deep anyway, they ought to work fine. You will have different line/depth ratio than the guys with the 300's (but I'm sure you alread knew that). Just go to the website and print the chart that gives the amount of line to let out for the desired depth. That way, when everyone tells you they are catching them at 8 feet deep (or wherever), you can be absolutely certain that yours are also running at 8 feet (but still not catching any).

Its been a year, so I'll defer to some of the more professionaly crankers, like Jwhite, rip-a-lip, speckhunter, release_to_the_grease, etc, but I wouldn't expect a major problem so long as they will get to the right depth.

Post Thanks / Like

You can't catch them with a 200, so send them all to me. lol
    [SIGPIC]Drake Waterfowl Prostaff, Dakota Decoys Prostaff,F&F Boats, Mercury Marine, Rig Em Right, Crappie Logic Jigs, Slab Bandits, Hayes Calls, and Kick's Choke Tubes.

Post Thanks / Like

From Memory, the box contains:

Rappalla DT14s
    Rappalla Shad Raps
    Poes Cedar Shads
    Timber Tigers
    Manns
    Bill Norman Middle Ns
    Fat Free Shads
    Bagley Balsa Bee

Maybe a couple more I don't remember. Safe to say there ain't a 300 in the mix. Prolly got 20 200s though. I'll pull those tonight. But if the 200s work at times, I'll need at least another box and a half like above.

Torch since you're the king of pulling oddball stuff. You ever pull the minnow type baits like 3 hook Rappalas or what about rattle traps? I can see a problem with the traps in that they sink if you stop, but I gotta ton of both of those. Might need to get 2 or 3 more boxes.

Wannabe...
    Last edited by Wannabe...; 05-22-2009 at 10:06 AM.
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glad I could be helpful for a change. LOL

I've only got a couple 300's so on my BP trip I'll make sure and pick up a few 300's with a couple in PINK
    proud member of "Team Cup"

Post Thanks / Like

Navy is right, the 200's run shallower. A good thing to try when you are having trouble locating fish is to run 200's on one side of the boat and 300's on the other until you start closing in on the right depth.
    It's all over but the fryin'......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking at that chart

the 200's to be 10 feet deep, you have to have out around 56 feet while the 300's you only have to have out 37 feet. thats a BIG difference. To me, more line is a better chance for the fish to get off. Also to me having never done this, it would be more of a chance to get the lines tangled. You guys have much problem with that? Say you've got 4 poles out cranking with 2 on each side of the boat. Now say you have one 40 feet out and 1 around 30 feet out. Seems to me if you got a fish on the 40 foot one and the fish headed towards the other one, you'd get tangled up a good bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Don, if the fish that takes it is a crappie, you don't have much to worry about. They don't USUALLY swim either way once hooked. Most times they will "ski" to the surface. Now if a gar, bass, drum, etc, etc takes the crank, then WATCHOUT!

With that said, the advantage of the 300's, to me, is that you can get them deeper. With the 200's, you just simply can't force them as deep as the 300's are designed to go, even if you pay out 500 yards of line! If those fish are suspended at, say, 13 feet deep, you NEED the 300's to get to them. Even then, you have a ridiculous amount of line out, but so long as you make really wide turns, it usually isn't a problem. Takes a bit of practice, though. I'm glad I had rip-a-lip to show me the ropes.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks Navy

Gonna be interesting for sure. There any stripers in the lake? Love Crappie but Stripers is my 2nd love. Make that 3rd love with Crappie 2nd. Wifey is no. 1 LOL:D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey WB, just noticed

you ain;t got no PINK one's in that pile.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast