Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crappie investment

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie investment

Got the idea of this thread from a PM I got last night. When I was about 10 still remember my dad taking me to Sardis crappie fishing would have been mid 1970's. All we really owned was a small tackle box with maybe 6 huge corks, pack of gold hooks and weights and spool of nylon line, 3 cane poles, and a seat flotation. We rented a flat bottom boat, life jackets, paddle and a Mercury motor at the landing. Still remember sometimes we didn't rent the motor because the "fish were close enough to paddle". In reality raising 3 boys on construction hand pay made the budget a little close. Some of the best memories of my life but I don't refer to them as the good ole days.
    All that said my question is what kind of investment you have in you crappie gear today? Just use a quick method. What would your boat bring if sold, Electronics, poles and tackle.
    I figure I am very conservative and I am in for 25k plus.
    By the way. Still worth every penny as evidenced by the way my little one jumps out of the bed when I wake him to go fishing. Just like I did 30 years ago. Do not think you are not making memories when you take those little ones fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappiehunter, I would say conservatively I too have around 25K in gear. However, like you, my 17 year old son even going thru his girl obsession he has right now still loves to fish. In between baseball games and girls we still get the chance to go now and then and let me tell ya, HE FISHES HARD when we go. We also have a pond and he is there almost every evening. So, I would have to say the investment was absolutely worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

'Bout 25k as well, with 2k a year tacked on for maintenance, gas and oil, tackle, bait.
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie - 12K, all fishing 20K. I figure I drop 4 to 5K each year fishing - fuel, tackle, food drinks fees etc. Unless it's a year I'm buying a boat or rigging a boat. Then it's $47,123.15.

Wannabe...

Don't tell my wife
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I was just talking about what I have sitting in my shop with the 25K. That definitely does not include yearly maintenance (got to get that kill switch checked for DONDON sake), gas, minners, food, etc., etc. I would be scared to put a pencil to it for it all.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm prob somwhere around 15k if I had to guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pstone View Post
    I'm prob somwhere around 15k if I had to guess.
    Helps when ya don't have to buy the boat, huh!
    Carl's Guide Service
    Sardis Lake
    Enid Lake
    Grenada Lake
    901-734-7536

Post Thanks / Like

6500 tops
    Stick yo jig in there!

Post Thanks / Like

I actually did that in the years that I bought my first real boat, my second, third and fourth. Kept pretty detailed records on everything I bought for it and all my tackle and such. Didn't count gas/oil/food though. Just tackle and boat stuff. Got pretty pricey. Especially when you consider that every stinking thing you put on a boat starts at $100 and goes up. With each successive boat, I've gotten more lax in my record keeping. Current one consists of a file where I chunk receipts when I think about it.

Afterall, this is fishing and it's supposed to be fun. I'd have quit a long time ago had I done a cost-benefit analysis on the front end.

Aside from the boat, it's really not that bad. Basically, I started fishing seriously from the time I was 7 up till about 20, then fell out of it due to school/work/brand new hot wife that couldn't get enough of my speshul Wannabe love etc. Well, I started getting back into it about 30 or so. Looked up and I had about 2 rods that where 20 year old, about 3/4 of a decent reel if you took the 3 apart and tried to put one reel back together. Didn't even own a tackle box. Well, when you start from scratch, buddy, it's dang expensive. Throw in a fetish for all things electronical and well it's ridiculous.

But it is fun.

Wannabe...

pat, pat, pat - giving myself a pat on my own back for working in "speshul Wannabe love" into my reply. Can't wait for Bigger to read that, he's gonna throw up a little in his mouth. LOL.
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default No idea here.

several rods at 40 each, LOADS of jig bodies and a few bucks each. Rod holders 150 bucks. 800 or so on Fish finders and GPS module. Then jigs themselves, minners, corks. MAN Ya'll are depressing me. LOL I took some pics this morning of this inside of the boat to try and get the kill switch figured out but when Mrs DonDon was downloading them somehow they went POOF. I'll take more this evening
    proud member of "Team Cup"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast