Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thermocline

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thermocline

I started a new thread because this I think deserves some attention. This is what I know. If I run the sensitivity up just nearly all the way I can pick up the thermocline which will be shown as a line across the screen. A forming thermocline shows up as a distinct haze across the screen. My question is do all Mississippi lakes have thermoclines at some point during the summer? What depth ranges have you found thermoclines to be in Ms Lakes? What about river systems like the Tenn-Tom you see them there?

Post Thanks / Like

All very good questions.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM TWEENER!
    Member of Tri-State Crappie Anglers

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Grenada is not typical of a large lake, I believe. Unlike Enid and Sardis, Grenada is much shallower and dirtier. Plus, the 2 rivers dumping into it combined with the wind keep the water column stirred up more so than the other 2 mentioned. However, it does form, distinctly, deep in the summer after periods of stable weather. Once it forms, it's generally there for the remainder of the summer though unless a really big storm system knocks it out. Usually doesn't.

As far as depth goes, I've seen it as shallow as 10 and deep as 15 here. Would be surprised to learn that the Tenn Tom or any true river system sets one though, due to the constantly moving water.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

It's directly related to water clarity(light penetration), the muddier the water, the shallower the 'cline and vice versa.
    It's all over but the fryin'......

Post Thanks / Like

So what IS the thermocline...Like The definition...

Post Thanks / Like

I wanted to ask the same question but didnt wanna show my igganence. Also whats the significance in relation to the fish.
    Stick yo jig in there!

Post Thanks / Like

ther⋅mo⋅cline
      /ˈθɜrməˌklaɪn/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [thur-muh-klahyn] Show IPA
    –noun
    a layer of water in an ocean or certain lakes, where the temperature gradient is greater than that of the warmer layer above and the colder layer below.

Crappie hang out in that layer for suited temp and high in oxygen. I pull different depths but I do look at the thermocline and try to stay just above it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rip. I "knew" what it was, i just didn't know what it was....Or something like that.

Post Thanks / Like

OH YEA.......Me too!
    Stick yo jig in there!

Post Thanks / Like

In a nut shell, the thermocline separates the warm water heated up by sunlight (on top) in the summer and the cold water below. When people say "the lake is turning over" in the fall it's because that warm water layer has finally gotten colder than the water below it due to less sun/shorter days and the heavier water sinks and mixes in until it's all basically the same temp. There tends to be less oxygen below the thermocline but colder temps and more oxygen above it but warmer temps so a lot of the fish hang right in that area for the best of both worlds. They are probably more comfortable at that depth because light penetration is less too.
    It's all over but the fryin'......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast