Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somebody help a guy out

Post Thanks / Like

Default Somebody help a guy out

Ask this in other board but would like to hear from the MS crew.
    I have a 60 hp Mercury on a 16 foot Alumacraft. For years it would run 36 MPH trimmed out and just me in boat. For the last 6 months does not trim and plane correctly. Front end pushes water so max speed only 31 mph. If I keep trimming motor blows out before front comes up to proper plane. If I add a person to the back of the boat runs fine again. Can I make some sort of adjustment to make the boat plane properly again with out adding weight?

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your boat needs a good cleaning on the bottom. They make a spray on mild acid to clean off lake and road film. I cleaned mine with it and it seems to push along a little faster. Contact a boat dealer for some Aluminum Hull Cleaner, Wallyworld may even have it.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

That could be the case if we're talking about a boat that is left in the water, but I doubt we are. Sounds as though over time, this boat has lost some power. If this was a sudden loss, I'd be looking hard at the motor. Kind of sound like it's not though, so I'd check for - the prop, is the prop in tip top shape - hit anything with it, or run it through sand? Motor - have you retorqued the bolts or does it have jackplate that might have lowered on you by slipping? Have you added anything to weight the boat forward - larger TM, battery to the front, moved any heavy gear forward?

Assuming all that is OK.....you might have a motor that's not performing propertly. Is the throttle opening all the way? The linkage has been known to slip on them. Have you done a compression check? You might be loosing a cylinder. Have you been fouling plugs or have you checked the plugs for fouling?

Random thoughts from a random guy.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

One more thought, is your wife a really good cook?

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

crappiehunter if the boat is running the same RPM's I would check for hull imperfections. And is your MPH on a gauge or GPS. If gauge you could have some trash restricting the line. If RPMS are higher check prop hub for slippage, if RPMS are lower check engine for possible problems.
    [SIGPIC]Drake Waterfowl Prostaff, Dakota Decoys Prostaff,F&F Boats, Mercury Marine, Rig Em Right, Crappie Logic Jigs, Slab Bandits, Hayes Calls, and Kick's Choke Tubes.

Post Thanks / Like

Good points torch. Didn't think to mention the gauges. Also, hard to judge performance without actual rpms and mph. Good catch on the hub too.

All in all, I think we'll keep you around. If nothing else than for entertainment value.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0

Post Thanks / Like

The only reason we keep you around WB is for that very reason. this site would be plum borrrrin without you. NOT!!!!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Not sayin this is your case, hope it's not! But I've heard of stuff like that
    happening for example if your trailer bunks stop short of the rear of the boat -
    boat hanging over - and something "extra" happens, a big bump, maybe
    packmuling a bunch of extra weight like camping gear or blocks to sink brush.

Supposedly it only takes a tiny bit of "hook" (caved in) right in front of the
    rear edge to drastically affect things. Like as little as 1/32" or so.
    If that were the case, it can be pounded back out, checking with a
    straightedge, and then re-do the bunks so it doesn't come back.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent point, Jeff. Checking bottom is easy and takes no time.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a similar problem.....had mud or trash in the line that leads to the "pressure guage" , also it had been pushed up slightly, pushed it back down until it "clicked" back in place....

my 2 cents.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast