Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boat Motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Motor

So I went out fishing today to celebrate being out of school (till monday!), and my old Johnson laid down on me. Well, the last time I fixed it was the last time that I'm fixing it, so I'm in the market for another motor.

I have a 25hp, but it's a 1972 model. I was thinking that a newer model with less horsepower might be cheaper and be just as strong. Anybody know of anybody that's got a good used one for sale, and in the alternative, what's ya'll's thoughts on the best motor for the money. I ain't wanting to spend too much, and I'd prefer a used one. But if I've got to get a new one, I'd like to get the best deal I can.

Any help?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigcrappiemax View Post
    So I went out fishing today to celebrate being out of school (till monday!), and my old Johnson laid down on me. Well, the last time I fixed it was the last time that I'm fixing it, so I'm in the market for another motor.

I have a 25hp, but it's a 1972 model. I was thinking that a newer model with less horsepower might be cheaper and be just as strong. Anybody know of anybody that's got a good used one for sale, and in the alternative, what's ya'll's thoughts on the best motor for the money. I ain't wanting to spend too much, and I'd prefer a used one. But if I've got to get a new one, I'd like to get the best deal I can.

Any help?
    BCM, get in touch with Torch, he has one almost new lyin on the floor in hs business. A member of the Shelby Mafia (CHIC) has it and another one for sale. :D
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

BCM- are you going to be around Enid this weekend? If so, let's talk. I'm buying a new boat tomorrow and will be retiring my old one to Water Valley for pond/backwater fishing. I am probably going to sell the motor that is on it which is a 98 Evinrude 15 hp. I don't know if you wanted something even newer than that or not.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a nice 2005 15 hp mercury on the floor over here.
    [SIGPIC]Drake Waterfowl Prostaff, Dakota Decoys Prostaff,F&F Boats, Mercury Marine, Rig Em Right, Crappie Logic Jigs, Slab Bandits, Hayes Calls, and Kick's Choke Tubes.

Post Thanks / Like

Questions when buying a mota from torch:

Has Satdoc ever used it?

Has Satdoc ever touched it?

Has Satdoc ever offerered repair advice on it?

Has the person that owns it ever heard of Satdoc?

If all of the above answers are "No", the last test should be to check it for any signs of JB Weld just to be double dang dog sure.

Wannabe...
    Wannabe...v2.0
    A lot like the old Wannabe... except with fewer bad words. And Karate chop action. But, yes, still purtier than you.

Post Thanks / Like

15hp? What kind of reduction in power do ya'll think I'd be looking at going from the old 25 to a newer 15? I ain't wanting a power boat or nothing like that, but I do like to be able to get across the lake if I need or want to. And this summer I'll be doing some river fishing and the currents put up quite a fight at times, so I need to be able to get up the river without any trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

look around for a 20 hp merc in the 88 to 95 year range and youll be very pleased. itll be stronger than that old johnson by a stretch.going all the way back to 15 hp even from and old 25 and youll be wishing you had the extra hp if you ever need it.
    Everyday spent outdoors with good company is worth the time and effort it takes to make it happen. Take a friend fishing!

Post Thanks / Like

Let me tell ya'll: I've looked everywhere I know to look for a motor and I ain't come up with nothing. I'm looking at having to fix this old crappy thing myself (which is always a dangerous proposition) or buy a brand spanking new one...which I ain't opposed to but just ain't really got the extra money to throw down on it.

Yuck! I'll probably have to use my skills as a repairman (which are, by the way, very substantial as long as I don't have to actually fix anything but rather temporarily patch) and get my old johnson puttering again. YUCK!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got a 2004 30 horsepower Johnson I would sell. It was bought new in 2007 and has been used less than 20 times. I don't know what is worth though. It doesn't have electric start and I wouldn't mind getting a 4 stroke with electric start. Give me a reason to trade up.

Post Thanks / Like

iboats is a good place for info if you want to repair your old one...alot of knowledgeable people on there
    Born to Fish...Forced to Work!!!
    TJ