Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As good a time as any.

Post Thanks / Like

Default As good a time as any.

So with the storms and whatnots that has been blowing through, I've got a couple of questions for you guys who've been fishing for awhile.

First, do I need to get off the water when it starts lightening? On the ground, I know to stay away from trees, and I'm figuring the same applies for the water. But does it mean that I need to get off the water?

Secondly, if I'm out on the lake and big storm blows up faster than I think with lightening, am I better off going as fast as I can to the boat ramp (provided the answer to the first question is "yes, get off the water stupid") or taking my time? I've read that lightening will strike moving things that it might not strike if those things weren't moving.

And yes, those are serious questions. I honestly don't know the rules for that kind of thing. I am wary of the wind, but I don't mind getting rained on. The lightening don't scare me none, but I don't want to be sitting out there like a dummy if I need to be going. AND if I've got Jennifer or my little gal with me, I certainly don't want to get them hurt.

So. How do I handle the weather?

Speck is offline MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

The way I see it Max is Water, Electricity and Metal Boats don't mix well. I always leave the lake when I see lightning. You are much safer sitting in your vehicle. As far as lightning hitting moving objects, I've not heard that one.

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

When I hear thunder and the storm is coming my way I make tracks for the dock ASAP. If the thunder is distant and going the other way I keep fishing. Maybe that is dumb to do but that is just how I do it.
    From the ARK-LA-MISS Delta....... Crappie Paradise ! ! ! !

Post Thanks / Like

Personally I don't mind fishin in a light mistin rain. But when I hear thunder I will start lookin. When I see Lightnin, I get to the shore or landing ASAP if not faster. Dont want to get lit up and wind up to be another WB. lol
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

duckhunter is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

max, you better be scared of and respect lightning. i have been caught fishing in lightning storms, and believe me its a very scary feeling. we were fishing matthews brake one day, catching bass, when a t-storm hit. we pulled the boat in a group of tupelo gums to wait it out. a few minutes later, i felt the hair on the back of my neck rise, and seconds later, lightning hit a huge cypress tree 30 or so yards behind us and splintered it to pieces. from that day on, when i see lightning on a lake, im headed to the landing. my motto is live to fish another day. just my 2 cents worth. good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Max...I know this crappie fishing stuff is addicting! Now I don't mind fishing in a heavy rain, but when you start hearing thunder, GET OFF THE LAKE! Quickly! There's not a fish big enough to take that risk. Lightning, water, and aluminum don't mix.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, going back about 15 years to high school physics class here, but this is the best recollection I have: Lightening almost always strikes the tallest object around. This is why its dangerous to stand near a tree. The tree is much taller and stands a better chance of getting struck and the impact, and to some degree the actual electricity, can transfer to you if you are near enough. Now take this explanation to an open field. If you are standing there, whats the tallest thing around? You are! There's the explanation for golfers being favorite lightening rods (plus the fact that they are likely holding metal rods over their heads on the backswing!).

What all this gets to is that if you are out on the open water, you end up being the tallest target out there too! Basically, lightening is a string of charged electrons "connecting" with one another en route the ground. In theory they take the shortest route to get there (while still connecting all the electrons in the vicinity). If all 5' 9" of me is ticking up above the flat water, I wouldn't be feeling very safe!

I'm sure there is some astro-physicist around here that will either clarify what I say, or maybe just call me an idiot, but thats how I remember the lightening lesson from high school.

duckhunter is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by navy_crappie View Post
    OK, going back about 15 years to high school physics class here, but this is the best recollection I have: Lightening almost always strikes the tallest object around. This is why its dangerous to stand near a tree. The tree is much taller and stands a better chance of getting struck and the impact, and to some degree the actual electricity, can transfer to you if you are near enough. Now take this explanation to an open field. If you are standing there, whats the tallest thing around? You are! There's the explanation for golfers being favorite lightening rods (plus the fact that they are likely holding metal rods over their heads on the backswing!).

What all this gets to is that if you are out on the open water, you end up being the tallest target out there too! Basically, lightening is a string of charged electrons "connecting" with one another en route the ground. In theory they take the shortest route to get there (while still connecting all the electrons in the vicinity). If all 5' 9" of me is ticking up above the flat water, I wouldn't be feeling very safe!

I'm sure there is some astro-physicist around here that will either clarify what I say, or maybe just call me an idiot, but thats how I remember the lightening lesson from high school.
    sounds good enough to me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by navy_crappie View Post

Navy, although I am not an astro-physicist...I could never pass up the invitation to call you an idiot...Idiot!!!:D You can still go fishing with me anytime you like though. The way I figure, two idiots in a boat is better than one any day of the week.

As for the storms...run away quick Max!
    Last edited by Rip a Lip; 05-08-2009 at 01:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

These are fortunate dudes and it shows you how often it happens. 2 guys from Memphis this past week, nearly "bought the farm" Bottom line>>>>>GET OFF THE WATER!

Lightning strikes fishing boat in Kentucky Lake area

Eddie Croy points to where lightning struck the boat that he and John Bridges (left) were in Friday morning. The men were fishing near Big Sandy when a heavy rain began. When they tried to make it back to Buchanan Resort, the boat was struck. Neither man was injured, and the boat was not severely damaged. —Staff photo by Dave Phillips

Eli

Henry County Humane Society

Paris, TN

No one hurt in incident
    By DAVE PHILLIPS
    P-I Staff Writer
    Published: Tuesday, May 5, 2009 9:40 AM CDT
    Two fishermen from the Memphis area had quite a scare in Henry County Friday morning when the boat they were in was struck by lightning.

John Bridges and Eddie Croy were in the water near Buchanan Resort starting at 6 a.m. Friday to practice for a fishing tournament they were entered in Saturday. They were somewhere around Big Sandy when the rain began, and, while attempting to return to the resort, the front of their boat was struck by lightning.

“We were trying to decide if we should come to (the resort), and Eddie gave me the sign to go ahead,” Bridges said. “As soon as he pointed his finger, the lightning went ‘pow’ and hit the front of the boat. It shut everything down (on the boat), and we just sat there looking at each other.”

Incredibly, neither occupant suffered any injuries aside from some ringing ears. Croy said two hours later his left ear was still ringing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast