Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Anybody know how to...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anybody know how to...

Sharpen a filet knife? I was thinking maybe a round file on a Dremel and going tooth to tooth like sharpening a chain saw. Would that work or is there an easier way? Chime in, a bunch of crappie are about to get caught the next couple of days and they're depending on you guys to make sure they get cut up right
    It's all over but the fryin'......

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wish I could help

I just go to bass pro and get a new electric one when mine gets to dull. Not but 15-20 bucks
    proud member of "Team Cup"

Post Thanks / Like

I have an old Black and Decker bread knife that I like more than any of the new ones I've tried-I own 2 other filet knifes that I wouldn't even cut on a green carp with, can't find replacement blades though so I'm trying to baby it along. It filets better than anything else I've tried but I'm sick of taking the blade in to get it sharpened, just trying to figure out how to do it myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I have an edge craft elec. sharpner with the diamond hones that does a great job,makes em like new.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

You can sharpen them with a regular stone or flat diamond hone. Just draw each blade across the stone just as you would a regular knife but ONLY do it on the serrated side NOT on the flat side (inside) of the blade. This will sharpen the tips of the serrations and get you a few more years out of your knife. The flat diamond hone works better and it is faster too. This has worked for me before on a filet knife.

Slabologist
    "Professor of Slabology 101"

Keep your line tight !

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I just hit it with the Dremel and I think it worked great, hopefully I'll be testing it on a papermouth by this time tomorrow!

Post Thanks / Like

Let us know how it worked. I have a set for the American angler that's dull. I have the Dremel kit that has all the hardware for honing and grinding.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget to use a flat stone on the flat side of the blade to remove the jagged edges. I try to use the file using one stroke on each curved area so the dremel doesn't wear away the blade so fast. Works really good for me and my old bread knives. Even worked on a set of blades my fishing partner ruined, brought them back to life. Ferdi aka Fred

Post Thanks / Like

I'll put something up next time I use it, I got out of cleaning the fish this last trip I used the Dremel with one of the rounded chainsaw sharpeners, it fit perfectly in the grooves on my filet knife and only took about 5 minutes to do.