Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear Creek Lakes

Chuck61 Guest

Default Bear Creek Lakes

Hello,
    I just found this board, so I'm new here. I was just wondering if anyone fished on the Bear Creek Lakes in North Alabama. We are catching a few in 2 of these 4 lakes, but most of these are small.

Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck61
    Hello,
    I just found this board, so I'm new here. I was just wondering if anyone fished on the Bear Creek Lakes in North Alabama. We are catching a few in 2 of these 4 lakes, but most of these are small.

Good Luck

welcome aboard chuck, glad to have ya.

don't know anything about the bear creek lakes. I normally fish the warrior and coosa rivers near central alabama

REV.
    Hey where's my float.

Chuck61 Guest

Thanks for the welcome. The Bear Creek Lakes are in Franklin and Marion Counties. They were all built by the Tennessee Valley Authority. Fishing was better yesterday, my Dad and myself had 46 that would keep, but they were all small (9 to 12 inches) water temp 78 to 80. Are you catching them down that way?

Post Thanks / Like

Which lake and what are you catching them on? I haven't been since the spring, but almost all of them were small,(still keepers). Isn't the size limit lower on those lakes? We usually fish the southernmost one....put in behind the school.....

Chuck61 Guest

I am fishing Upper Bear, it is near the town of Bear Creek south of Russellville. A friend of mine has been catching them on Cedar, it is between Russellville and Red Bay. We have both been catching them on minnows fished around 13 foot. I am fishing trees on the edge of the old creek channel, my friend at cedar has been fishing standing timber. There used to not be a limit on Big Bear, but I think that has changed. Big Bear is between Russellville, Red Bay and Hodges. TVA will start dropping the water on Big Bear for repairs on Sept. 20th, they say that they are going to drop it down below the old creek channel. The water temp on Upper Bear is still around 80 degrees, so it is hard to keep em alive in a live well unless you add cool water and run the aerator all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Upper Bear is the one I usually fish--just above Haleyville. Nothing going on in the standing timber in Upper Bear? I sometimes go around past Mon Die (sp) and fish the end of the place. Don't know much about the channel itself....

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Chuck61, glad to have you on the board, I fish these lakes sometimes, I live just out of RedBay over in Mississippi.
    Biguns Pro Guide Service 662-424-2551, B'n'M Pro Staff, Engel Coolers Pro Staff, Ego Nets Pro Staff, Cumberland Crappie Pro Staff, Wise Boat Seats Pro Staff, Southern Pro Pro Staff, Pap's Hair Jigs Pro Staff, The Edge Multifunction Trolling Motor Bracket Pro Staff, Enjoy What God has given us and remember take a kid Fishing !

Chuck61 Guest

Thanks for the welcome Oldbigun. The Crappie were starting to bite good until Ivan came through last week. A week ago Saturday, my wife and myself boated 60 that would keep. About half of those were over 10 inches, while the rest were in the 9 to 10 class. So the bite was getting a little better. We had around 10 to 12 in the 1 to 1 1/2 lb class. Then Ivan came through here on Thursday night and everything changed. The water at Upper Bear came up about 4 foot in 24 hours. I went Saturday, but should have stayed at home. I got 2 bites in four hours, no fish. Went back Sunday, as if Saturday wasn't punishment enough, caught only three fish and two of those were throwbacks. I am thinking that things will improve this upcoming weekend. I did notice that the water temp had dropped to around 75 degrees, so maybe this will bring more of the big ones up.
    Crappiehunter, at Upper Bear go up in the back of the creeks and find those bends with bluffs. Look for trees that have floated in there and hung up on the bottom. Water depth 20 to 30 foot with the tree standing to around 12 to 15 foot below the surface. This is were we have been catching them.
    Hope this helps. Good luck to all

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info, Chuck! Hope I can get up there sometime soon to try it out! :p

GR Ware Guest

I'm glad to see such a great response to a email. We are all getting cabin fever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast