Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did I bite off more than I could chew?

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Did I bite off more than I could chew?

Good Morning all fellow crappie.comers! I found something out yesterday.....

When you get your face burnt, your hair looks grayer!

Finally had the chance to get out and test my new to me boat.

I was a bit worried that I had bit off more than I could chew by myself. My jon boat looks like a bathtub toy sitting next to it. Launching isn't a problem as long as the plug is in and the straps are off. I wasn't worried about that part.

The trailer has these roller things on it, not like the jon boat trailer. I usually pull over in the parking lot and unhook the winch and straps, put my plug in, etc.

With the roller trailer, I was afraid the thing would roll off backing it down the ramp. Then of course, I was afraid once I drove it up onto the trailer, it would roll back off before I could get up front and hook up the winch to it.

It all went splendid. I loaded everything, put the plug in and did all BUT unhook the winch. Then once I was about 1/2 way down the ramp, I got out and unhooked the winch and prayed...backing slowly the rest of the way into the water. She did GOOD!

Starting the motor was SO nice with that button, instead of the heave-ho pull yer guts and cuss model I'm so used to. Took the Hog Gobbler with me and we shared a bacon and egg buscuit then the cold wind as we bopped across the lake.

We rode the lake checking out a few new gps coordinates. . Dipped a few minners and a few jigs. Caught a few crappie..Threw back most.

Once again, dip chip I am, forgot to put on some sunscreen. IT WAS COLD! Who the heck thinks about sunscreen when it's COLD?? I fried my face.

I wanted to be sure it was still good daylight to load up and go home, so as the sun was leaving the Eastern sky, I headed to the ramp. My tummy was starting that nervous "can I do this" rumble.

Oh.... I forgot to mention that I did not have the luxury of a working trolling motor. For whatever reason the damb thing wouldn't lock down when deployed! I must say; checking out specific GPS coordinates is a pain without it.

Anyway.... I pull up to the dock and tied off nice as you please. Hog Gobbler had been tying a knot in her tail for a while by then and we jumped out and ran for the grass. There are four ramps where I put in and it wasn't busy. I was hoping for NObody to witness this maiden attempt at driving a boat on a trailer. Alas, there was a boat full of ole geezers to laugh at me.

I backed the trailer in, being careful not to put it in so far the boat would be floating on it when loaded...just a little over the fenders. Put the parking brake on the van and strolled back down into the boat...push the little button..vrooooom.... LOVE that thing! Now the tummy is really fluttering...oh please don't look like a total ass doing this!

Aim for the middle.....vrooooom! Oh please don't let the motor bottom out and screw up my skeg.....hit it again...vroooom. That's about good. Cut the motor and walk to the front and hook the winch. Well Nelly! Looking good!

With much grace I launch myself over the bow and onto the tounge of the trailer. I didn't even get the leather of my tennis shoes wet!

I LOVE MY BOAT!

"Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you have everything under control.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Great story.. I am glad all went well for you AP

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Atta Gurl ... Ap

You done us proud, woman

Now ... where's the North Cackalacky Crappie.com decal ???

PM me, Laura ... I think I've got a addition, to your "new to you" Crappie fishin machine, that you might be interested in

... cp

anchorpuller is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Whatcha gonna do, Pappy? Box yerself up and send ya to me? I'll pay the postage! :D

The crappie.com decals are on my baby. I hope whoever gets her will love them as much as I did.
    "Be Ye Fishers of Men" You catch them- He will clean them

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Red face Oh, Crappie .......

Quote Originally Posted by anchorpuller View Post
    Whatcha gonna do, Pappy? Box yerself up and send ya to me? I'll pay the postage! :D

The crappie.com decals are on my baby. I hope whoever gets her will love them as much as I did.

I spoke too soon .... PM sent with explanation (and alternative). Now I will take my leave, and try and extract my size 11 foot from my big mouth :p ... and go beddy bye (gotta work tonight )

.. cp

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Laura, that was a great story and certainly better than I did with my first jon boat with rollers on the trailer....From that fist day, I let the winch strap out about 2 or 3 feet and locked it down...Don'r EVER think the ramp is not steep enough for the boat to leave the trailer...

What make of boat is that?? I really like it....Did you buy it already fixed up or did you do it yourself after practicing on "your baby"?..:D

Hannah had her 13th birthday the 22nd...I wish she could have been 10 for a few years..

Have a great day & come to the VA board more often...We miss your posts...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Great story! We've all been there donchaknow.

Thanks for taking the time to post a delightful story with great photos!

Looks like you're poised and ready for the slabs! <><

aj

Post Thanks / Like

Laura, looks good! Got plenty of room, storage and seating. Might even get your hubby to go with you now. We need to go out and try some of those new condos.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice lookin crappie boat !

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast