Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beside minnows other baite for crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Question beside minnows other baite for crappie

ok guys and gals what would be another baite that a crappie would bite besides jigs with a minnow? have any of you had any luck with crickets or red wigller worms for baite.

Post Thanks / Like

I use tube jigs almost exclusively but shad, wax worms (maggots), shiners, small crankbaits, rooster tails, spoons and the list goes on... all catch crappie.
    Fishin' fills the time until College football season

Post Thanks / Like

thats a list thier lsu, i asked bubba today if he had wax worms and he said he never heard of them. as for maggots i might have to try that out. i have been out a few times and no luck in catching any crappie so far its been real small bream.

Post Thanks / Like

Try 2in curly tails with-out a minnow Trolling them long-line, under corks or just plain pitching, or jiggin Flys work really good for dock shooting also

Post Thanks / Like

Small crawfish..

Post Thanks / Like

Maggots and wax worms are two different larvae.

Maggots work best on a very fine-wire hook (size 10 or 12), barely hooked through the tough clear flap of skin on the end that has two tiny dark spots. Hooked that way, they will stay alive and squirming for a long time.

Wax worms are usually used to tip jigs; flu-flu jigs below a float are especially good with them.

Post Thanks / Like

catalpa worms
    1967/68

Post Thanks / Like

I have caught a fair number of crappie on crickets while bluegill fishing. I know they use a lot of maggots, wax worms and similar things when ice fishing. I think normally, they would prefer a larger bait.

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the crawfish. I flat tore them up last year with the YUM small crawfish in red sparkle and blck/purple fished on a black RR head around rocks. Found some live little ones and floated them under a cork for the kids. My fishing ended at that point cuz all I had time for was to bait hooks and take off fish:D Felt like I had run a marathon by the time I was done. They wanted them so bad that we caught 4 fish that broke off earlier that still had the hook and crawfish in its mouth

Post Thanks / Like

Default shrimp

about 5 years ago an old timer told me about using dried salted shrimp to tip jigs and shiner rigs.

Take a handful of small shrimp, butterfly in half to separate into 2 halves.

lay down some newspaper, put paper towels on top, then lay the shrimp halves out on the paper towels.

Take a box of salt and cover the shrimp halves heavily, then turn each half of shrimp over and repeat on the other side.
    Let the shrimp sit for 15-20 mins, dab the excess moisture off the shrimp and resalt. Do this for a few hours so that the shrimp become rubbery
    the salt pulls the moisture out of the shrimp.

once the moisture is removed, cut the shrimp into small cube pieces.
    I like to cover the shrimp with garlic powder before I make the small pieces.

Freeze the small pieces and bring on your next trip.
    Tip your jig or shiner.
    I find this works best during the spawn, and it's REALLY GREAT for Bream when they are on.

Good Luck!
    If you think there isn't a God, you better be right!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast