Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Crappie Fishing with Questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default New to Crappie Fishing with Questions

Hi all!
    I have been a fishing junkie for almost 2 years now. I have just recently tried to target crappie. I live on a feeder creek of Norris lake in TN. I live at the end of Cove Creek near the Cove Lake Dam. I have been trying to catch crappies here since it is a headwater. The water has been coming up slowly and steadily for the last couple weeks. It has been in the low 50's and it was 60 yesterday. It is 3 or 4 miles to the main lake but very far from the main rivers that feed the lake. I never see any schools on my fish finder but I am able to catch one to three crappie each time I go. I fish out of a kayak and am very quiet, I use 4 lb clear line. I have caught some using minnows on a slip bobber and jig head, and with plain jigs. I get one fish from each of three trees down in the water. I have tried different depths as well. Any tips on how I could do better? Do I need to try further toward the main lake? There is a small dam at the end of the creek which dumps warm water in when its warm out and cold water when its cold out. It comes from a real shallow lake. The water is stained but not too muddy. I have been told Walleye used to run here and someone caught one at the dam but I couldn't. I thought the fish would be up on this end, although there is no current unless it is raining a lot.
    Any tips or suggestions from the guru's?
    Thanks
    Mike

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike, let me welcome you to the site from La. Sorry I can't help you with your situation but maybe someone from your area will be a little more familiar with what you're asking.

"gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Name:  welcome.gif
Views: 303
Size:  8.7 KB From Toledo Bend Texas!

Once your water temp hits 60 you should be able to find them some place in 5'-10' water depth and maybe if lucky even right up on the bank in about 1'-3' of water. They should be staging to spawn now.

I like to troll 1/32 oz. jigs with my trolling motor. Don't know you lake, but if it has good grass fish around and over that. If not look for the first good break off the bank and try to stay in water like I described above.

If your water is clear (can see 3'-4' down) then I like a blue body and white tail best. Next would be silver/Fl Yellow/White and if stained then I like Chart/Blue/Chart. Lots of other color combo's we could go into, but these should start some catching. If really stained then maybe black and chart or something like Elect. Chicken (Pink/Chart/Pink).

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

It's all about local knowlege for sure. That is why I have been stubborn about fishing that certain area. I want to learn the patterns of the different fish that run up the creek. If I didn't live on the creek I would probably be fishing somewhere else. I usually talk to any anglers I see out. Hadn't seen any tearing up the slabs though.
    Maybe I ask a specific question. Are crappies always found in schools? If not under what conditions would you find lone fish or small schools. Are they still in schools when they spawn?

Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    Name:  welcome.gif
Views: 303
Size:  8.7 KB From Toledo Bend Texas!

Once your water temp hits 60 you should be able to find them some place in 5'-10' water depth and maybe if lucky even right up on the bank in about 1'-3' of water. They should be staging to spawn now.

I like to troll 1/32 oz. jigs with my trolling motor. Don't know you lake, but if it has good grass fish around and over that. If not look for the first good break off the bank and try to stay in water like I described above.

If your water is clear (can see 3'-4' down) then I like a blue body and white tail best. Next would be silver/Fl Yellow/White and if stained then I like Chart/Blue/Chart. Lots of other color combo's we could go into, but these should start some catching. If really stained then maybe black and chart or something like Elect. Chicken (Pink/Chart/Pink).

Skip
    Thanks! No grass in this part of the lake, maybe not anywhere. It is a deep clear canyon resevoir with a reputation of being hard to fish. Ok so maybe I am spending too much time around the trees and should troll more. Thanks
    I have always resorted to trolling from the kayak when I couldn't catch anything casting. I'll try and then post my results.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike37909 View Post
    Thanks! No grass in this part of the lake, maybe not anywhere. It is a deep clear canyon resevoir with a reputation of being hard to fish. Ok so maybe I am spending too much time around the trees and should troll more. Thanks
    I have always resorted to trolling from the kayak when I couldn't catch anything casting. I'll try and then post my results.
    Mike
    Mike if it's really clear get some jigs or maybe Roadrunners and my best clear colors is Silver/LT. Blue/White and I guess I really like Marabou best in the spring. You can do the same thing with regular jigs too, but stick with the blue body and white tail. Maybe even down size the jig hook size to make it seem smaller than it is or go to a 1/64th oz. jig?

If it's nice and cloudy go to a chart tail.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the board from VA! Hope you get some help with the crappie in your area and you figure them out!!! :D:D
    Blake

Post Thanks / Like

Mike,

Welcome to the board. I'm from Nashville, so I can't offer a lot of advice on Norris, but try posting this question over on the Tennessee board. There a lot of East TN guys on there that would prolly be happy to help you out.
    Mistah Kurtz - he dead
    A penny for the Old Guy

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am glad that you cast a line to this forum and I also extend a welcome you on behalf of all the members. Welcome from Alabama. "Shipahoy and I'll see you on the water."
    fishin4crappie tips, CD's and jigs - Home
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome from se ga mike. i am a newb at crappie fishing too an d these guys and gals wont ster you wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast