Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lake Redman 08/29/04

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Redman 08/29/04

This was offically the best day fishing I've had in the 30 years I've been fishing. I had purchased my first long rod (10'6") on Friday, and was anxious to give this new-to-me method of fishing a try. I set off at 5:00am to a blowdown that I knew laid out into 18 feet of water - that's when I learned of my first mistake of the morning - no trolling rods in the boat! After a few frantic moments of wondering what happened to them, I remembered just where I put 'em, and it wasn't in the rod locker. Oh, well looks like I'll do a little lake research on my way to the other end.

Didn't even spend time sonaring the place when I got there, anchored up about 20 feet up wind and in front of the end of the blowdown, and started fishing. I started with a know producer on this lake - a 1" white twister tail on a 1/32 oz. white/red round jighead, tipped with a red glitter crappie nibble. First cast came up empty, so I increased to a 7 seven count for the second cast - bang! 9" white crappie. Third cast found a 9.5" white coming in the boat. Fourth cast, nothing; but I lost the nibble. New nibble, fifth cast, 9" white - see a pattern developing? I did, and switched over to this new rod setup. Just for experimentation reasons I rigged up a 1" black/chart. tube tipped with a gold crappie nibble. Well, that first fish on a long rod was an adventure to say the least; I lob-cast this tube just over the top of the tree, and noticed halfway through my count that the jig stopped falling, so I set the hook. "Holy mackerel! this is a decent fish", I believe I said out loud to anyone in ear shot (Which was nobody at this time in the morning), as the rod tip ended up just about equal to the first guide and beginning to thump.

Now, I 've had ground shrinkage on animals I've shot before - but this is the first time I've experienced water shrinkage. What I thought would be a 12" crappie turned out to be an 8" little guy. What am I going to do with a fish of any size? Around 6:15am I had my first visitor. This was right around the time I could see the fish coming to the boat. I had an average size (9") for the day fish coming to the boat, when Mr. Musky decided it was time for breakfast. He came from straight under the fish, turned, and SNAP! - broke that 2lb line like it wasn't even there. That was pretty cool, about a 25-30" fish and fast. So, I tie on another tube and back to pulling crappie off this blowdown, just about every other cast.

The sun hit this part of the lake, and it was like someone caged up the fish - I went dry for half a dozen casts. It didn't take long to find the fish again, I believe they just went deeper into the treetop because all I did was increase my count down to a count of 12, and bingo, another crappie hooked. This one never made it to the boat, all I got back was line - Mr. Musky again? I got an answer to that question two fish later, another brake off right next to the boat - this guy is relentless!

At 9:30 the Mrs. called me to see how things were going (bless her heart - she worries when I'm out by myself), I set the hook and brought my third 10.5" in the boat and told her, that was number 97. Yeah, fanatastic morning! I ended up boating 104 white crappie, losing four to the musky (hope he ate well), and went through three twister tails. The smallest measured right at 8", and the largest went 11.5" - I kept three for dinner. The interesting thing was when I stopped at the trees I fished last week. I had to pass them on my way in, so I thought I'd stop and see if they were still there - I had to work a lot harder, but did manage to pull three tators out.

I did like the long rod - the smaller fish would start coming up on the hookset, and the larger fish you could always tell - they would stop the rod on a hookset, kinda like a snag that moved. I was surprised at how hard i could set the hook and not pull it through the mouth - I think I may have a few ultra-light setups for sale.
    Last edited by Big Zig; 08-30-2004 at 11:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Redmond

Would you care to share whereabouts Lake Redmond is, and what type of boat might be suitable. I'm in the far N.E. of PA and these deep cold water lakes here aren't the best for crappie fishing. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Redman - southcentral Pa., York county, 83 south will take you over the lake between Leader Heights and Loganville exits. Both of which will get you to the only ramp that trailered boats can launch from.

Big bass lake - special regulations to length and creel limits apply

Electric motors only - you'll see everything from homemade wooden boats to full blown 21' bassboats on this lake. Recieves a lot of pressure during the summer, especially weekends (rowboats, paddle boats, etc.)

After Labor Day the access closes at dusk and reopens at dawn.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lake Redman

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately that's quite a ride for me, probably close to four hours. So much for dreaming about some decent crappie fishing. I'm heading out to Tioga cty, PA either tomorrow or Weds. There are 3 Army Corps lake right in north central Tioga cty and one of them is Hammond lake where the state record black crappie came from. It's been hit and miss success for me this summer, but I hope the cooler weather will change my luck. The lows are to be in the 50's and the highs, mid 70's. I'll post my results.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Luck - if it was me, I'd make sure I had plenty of nibbles along. :D