Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Virus Doctor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Virus Doctor

I just left the Bassboatcentral page and clicked my bookmark for Crappie.com and got a fake virus warning which is a malware installer. It was a popup that looked almost identical to the XP security center, and it started a "scan" which found numerous trojans and viruses and wanted me to select remove to get rid of them. This looked real, and I'm betting many people have fallen for it. If you clicked on the install or have an infected computer, check out this site Remove Virus Doctor (Removal Instructions) | The 411 on PC Security for removal. I don't know for sure what the source of the popup I got was. My link goes directly to the forum here.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Also see this thread ...

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/main-...e-warning.html ... still on the front page.

I downloaded the free version of Malwarebytes and ran it ... removed 6 trojan/virus infected files/programs. I haven't had the fake warning show back up, since then.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen this before for those who encounter this pop up the best way to avoid infection is to press control alt delete simultanously and when task manager starts select the end task button and close window that way. DO NOT CLICK ANYWHERE INSIDE THE OFFENDING POP UP WINDOW NOT EVEN THE RED X THIS WILL AUTOMATICALY INSTALL THE MALWARE OR VIRUS. I use this method to close any pop up window I am not sure of...

Milo

Post Thanks / Like

Once again I suggest using Firefox. It is more secure. I have never had malware popups in CC with it. Adaware's new program has a monitor now that detects malware. If you have a strong computer I suggest using it. If your computer is old and slow adding a program like that will likely slow it down.

The very best program to be rid of bugs that are deep in your system is Hijackthis. Only thing is you either need to have the ability to recognize the baddies when you see them or post your log for those who can recognize them to tell you what to remove at their site.

I am currently testing both Avast and Avira on separate computers and they are both effective, low impact, and free antivirus programs. The only downside is that you'll have to jump through a few hoops that aren't to difficult to get free registrations for a year. It's better than paying 50/yr and they don't interfere with your systems as much as the big payed for programs do.

I did not like AVG 8 when it came out. It was too much like the big boys programs, but now that its 8.5 they seem to have toned it down a bit and stabilized it. I once again recommend it.

The only anti malware/adware programs I use are Adaware and Hijackthis in a fix along with Firefox and I very very rarely encounter anything not easily handled.
    Good things come to those who bait.

Post Thanks / Like

AGAIN WHEN I CLICKED ON C.COM IT HIT MY COMPUTER, this is 2nd time last time clicking on ctrl,Alt, Delete got rid of it, this time it froze up my puter-had to crash puter & go thru a restart/scan to get it goin___can't Slab get this virus stopped this is becoming a big pain, person putting it on needs a couple 12 ga. slugs ..................................
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 03-22-2009 at 12:20 AM.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxsprat View Post
    AGAIN WHEN I CLICKED ON C.COM IT HIT MY COMPUTER, this is 2nd time last time clicking on ctrl,Alt, Delete got rid of it, this time it froze up my puter-had to crash puter & go thru a restart/scan to get it goin___can't Slab get this virus stopped this is becoming a big pain, person putting it on needs a couple 12 ga. slugs in the balls...................................
    I highly doubt it is coming from crappie.com. I have rid plenty of computers of this type of malware once it gets on your computer it will pop up randomly it hardly ever pops up where you got it. I have been surfing crappie.com every day for six months and have never seen this here. Do yourself a favor and spend the $50 and get a good anti-virus program. Like i said I disinfect a lot of computers that are infected with virus and almost everyone of them is running one of the free anti virus programs or are using out date software of course they end paying $50 or more to have me remove them.
    Grizz had some really good suggestions as well Firefox is definately more secure.Just my 2 cents worth.
    Milo
    Last edited by Milo; 03-21-2009 at 11:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

AVG Free - Download antivirus and antispyware software for Windows XP and Vista

This is what I use. Crappie.com is not infecting your computers. Although there is a possibility that posts may include links to sites with virus's. Bottom line, don't install anything you don't "know", and don't connect your computer without installed anti virus software. And never open an email attachment from someone you don't know. And even then, make sure you know from your friend that sending it, that its clean. Gmail and yahoo accounts will scan it for you as well. I'm not sure if you know, but simply connecting to the Internet, and not doing anything, you can still end up getting network virus's. Use anti virus sfwr and you'll be fine. Use the basic version of this:
    AVG Free - Download antivirus and antispyware software for Windows XP and Vista which is free, and you'll be fine.
    Owner
    "Wear your PFD" "No texting n driving" slab
    Crappie.com members are the best

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for info SLAB, yes I use McAfee Security Center, my puter gets scanned every day. Don't know happened this last time it hit as it just froze puter up.
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Slab is right. CC is not infecting your computers. Chances are you have some kind of deeply hidden spyware/adware/malware or maybe even a virus you need to root out. First run adaware, see if there are spyware prigrams removed. Then reboot your machine and run it again to see if you have the reinstalling variety of bug, then use hijackthis to root out the tougher bugs and you should be clean. Make sure you have a modern updated antivirus program. Choose Avast, Avira or AVG for the free ones or if you feel like tossing away $50 - 60/yr use McAfee, Norton, PcCillin, Kaspersky, Panda, or Zone Alarm. All the good free ones also sell more feature rich versions of their software usually for a little less than the big boys and they are just as good if not better. Be aware that particularly Norton, but the other do everything security suites often strangle weaker computers, and can be very hard to completely remove once installed.

The very best payed for anti spyware/removal software I have used hands down is Webroot Spy Sweeper. It just gets everything and gets it right the first time, but it costs. They also have other security software.

In the end, the free stuff works as good or better than anything else and thats all 99% of computers need out there. If your getting popups, your probably already infected. IE is the most used browser, but its the least secure, least customizable and by far the most targeted by hackers. Among computer professionals and very computer savvy amateurs a much higher percentage use alternative browsers like Firefox, Opera, Chrome, or Safari. I personally have all of those browsers installed on my machine. I use Firefox 98% of the time, then Opera and Chrome equally, then IE only when I absolutely have to, and I only use Safari when someone who has it needs help.

IE 8 is now available and it may be more secure, but I doubt it. I am currently running a Beta of Windows 7 (very nice BTW). It came with IE8 beta. I still don't like using IE8, though I have heard many other testers of Windows 7 say they like the new Windows so much that the ones who have switched to Linux or Mac's want to switch back once Windows 7 is released later this year, maybe as soon as summer.
    Last edited by GRIZZ; 03-22-2009 at 08:14 PM.
    Good things come to those who bait.